AGM GBB M4 first impression, review forthcoming

AGM GBB M4 first impression, review forthcoming

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:14 am

So last night I acquired one of an AGM GBB M4 RIS. First thing to note is the AGM is a WA clone, rather than the WE. I wanted to talk about my initial impressions, and after I have time to take proper photos and write up a real review I'll post it here.

I purchased it from Riddick (Airsoft Ammo Supply). I'd like to take the time to note that any negative points I make about this gun reflect nothing other than the chinese manufacturer. Riddick's an awesome dealer. Out of the box the mag that came with my gun was malfunctional, and Riddick replaced it, on the spot (thanks Rick! :) )

First impressions that I collected upon seeing it in person. The box contained The AGM M4 w/RIS, the magazine, a vertical foregrip (of decent quality), pistol mag style speed loader, ~200 bbs, and a cheapy sling. Overall color and finish looked nice. A proper flat black, with no trades, which makes it a nice clean slate for any custom laser work or paint jobs for those into that kind of thing. I sent an email off to Armalite today to ask for permission to use their logo for non-profit aesthetic purposes. Mine came with a very cheaply painted yellow tipped flash hider. That realistically speaking shouldn't have made it though customs. On the other hand, that made it real easy for me to remove, lol.

First handling impressions, I noticed that it weighs slightly less than the WE M4 (China Pot metal, meh, they make body kits). The Mags however, weigh something on the order of 3 lbs. Which is more than my Real GI Mags weigh filled with 30 rounds of 5.56. However, this indicates, to a small degree at least, that they're made of a heavier metal, and less prone to exploding than the WE mags. NO wobble, which totally surprised me for a china gun. Everything was nice and solid. The carry handle sight adjustments were a little stiff, but no more than that of my real one. Which is good, means it won't wobble out of place because of the recoil.

oooh recoil :D kicks harder than the WE, interestingly enough. I got through the whole mag without running out of gas, refilled with bbs, and ran though again. Ran out of gas on the second to last round. So pretty darn close to 2 mags worth from 1 fill of gas. I estimate that in cold weather I'll still be able to get a full mag out of one fill of gas. There's a slight issue with the bolt locking back (as in it doesn't do it consistently) but I'm not baring human error, as I'm not 100% certain how this works yet. I did notice, that there's a lever, on the top of the mag, and when you're filling the mag, if its empty, you have to press down on the lever... I also found some pictures in the manual denoting something to this effect so I know its what its suppose to do (speaking of which, the manual has zero English in it, all Chinese).

There's my brief first impressions. I'll do a full write up and include pics when I take them (hopefully this weekend).
ImageImage
I'm quoting myself because what I have to say is THAT IMPORTANT -Alex Kaeda
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Team: N/A

Postby MitchD » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:20 am

O nice, Looking forward to seeing your report. I'm really interested in a GBB rifle.
MitchD
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:26 am

So far, for the price tag, it can't be beat. And I highly recommend it.

Riddick(AAS) still has one, quick go buy it ;)
ImageImage
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Postby AirsoftAmmoSupply » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:02 am

and its $185.00 for anyone wanting to pay cash and pick up for the local players....
AirsoftAmmoSupply

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Pulsipher » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:03 am

i want!

rick, do you have a source for good mags
Pulsipher

Postby AirsoftAmmoSupply » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Pulsipher wrote:i want!

rick, do you have a source for good mags

yeah..

I can sell you the AGM mags

or the highly touted GHK mags

AGM mags 50rds = $30.00 each

GHK mags 42rds = $60.00 each (but much better apparently)

per GHK:
GHK STEEL magazines are the highest quality gas gun magazines on the market. They are produced in Taiwan using the highest quality materials and thoroughly tested for function, consistent performance, and durability.

Reviews are suggesting the same impression
AirsoftAmmoSupply

Postby CommieHunter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:20 pm

Ryu Arcturian wrote:they're made of a heavier metal, and less prone to exploding than the WE mags

That seems like an assumption rather than a fact.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Caponey » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:37 pm

However, this indicates, to a small degree at least,

He did put in a fall back clause. He isn't making a very strong statement and it's pretty clearly an assumption. This si still decent information to have.
-Tanner
Caponey
Grunt
Grunt

Postby CommieHunter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:40 pm

True.

It was just that he said 'To a small degree, they are less prone to exploding'. Even if he's only claiming a small degree, it's still an opinion that isn't based on fact. You can have brittle heavy metal.
CommieHunter

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:57 pm

Actually it was a very poorly worded joke about a thread that was around a while back regarding somebody's WE mag exploding and they were wondering why, after all, it was only filled with gas and left in the car during the day in 90+ degree weather.

Yes its an assumption. However, its a likely conclusion that a heavier metal is more likely to withstand larger pressures. I however, don't plan on testing this theory.

The real disclaimer shouldn't need be spoken, but falls something in line with this:

This is the internet, and this product review contains my opinion, as an end user, as to the quality and functionality of the product in question. I'm not a physicist nor an expert on pressurized gasses, or any kind of metallurgical scientist. Its also I guess, worth noting again that this is a China clone, we all know full well what that usually entails. Your mileage may vary.
ImageImage
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Postby CommieHunter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm

:D

Sorry to nitpick. I just noticed it and decided to mention it.
CommieHunter

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Its all good, I appreciate the criticism actually. This was just a quick write up, I'll put more effort into making my review as non-bias and objective as I can.
ImageImage
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Postby Danger Corp. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:48 pm

lol man i really hope its good, just ordered mine sunday from ebaybanned, DAMMIT lol i wish i ordered from riddick, but i went with them cause the were a lot cheaper, but now only like 15 dollars cheaper :( sorry riddick! i will buy my extra mags from you (lol)
The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
Danger Corp.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby AirsoftAmmoSupply » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm

DANGERDOOM64 wrote:lol man i really hope its good, just ordered mine sunday from ebaybanned, DAMMIT lol i wish i ordered from riddick, but i went with them cause the were a lot cheaper, but now only like 15 dollars cheaper :( sorry riddick! i will buy my extra mags from you (lol)

it's all good.

Could have been in your hands by wednesday... oh well... next time.
AirsoftAmmoSupply

Postby Pulsipher » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 am

THIS THREAD NEEDS PICS
Question, how is the plastic hop up?
The thread over at arnies points to the mag being the cause of the bolt lock issue
Question, would you skirmish with it?
Pulsipher

Next

Return to Assault Rifles