Tokyo Marui M16A2

Tokyo Marui M16A2

Postby Matt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:29 pm

Published on: Mon 28 Feb, 2005 7:56 pm

Introduction

An American Classic for sure, the M16A2 has been one of the most reliable weapon systems in our history, but does the Tokyo Marui M16A2 AEG cut the mustard? The M16A1 and VN model have suffered some durability rants in the past, but TM's A2 gets the job done in a better way.

The Interior

Marui's version2 gearbox can be found inside the A2, although it's not one of my favorites, it's very easy to upgrade and has a vast availability of replacement parts. This model comes standard with an EG1000 motor that rests in the pistol-grip. Unlike some other gearbox types, the motor for the version2 is not integrated into the box itself. Rather, the motor shaft connects to the gears inside of the box through a hole. In some cases this is good and in others it can be bad. There's a hex screw on the bottom of your pistol grip to adjust the spacer on your motor, if you motor should become really loud it's time to adjust that screw because chance are your motor isn't in far enough. When this happens, your gears or motor gears can be stripped, so always listen for the healthy sound of operation. Only remove the bottom motor plate from your pistol grip if extremely necessary, the screw holes can easily become stripped. If any screw on your pistol-grip will not tighten, you loose the ability to make a solid connection from the motor to the gearbox and will cause harm to your gears or motor. Now you can see why the gearbox with integrated motor might be nice to have.

The hop-up mechanism that comes with the A2 is a 1 piece wheel adjustment type, I've always been annoyed by the fact that these types of hop-up mechanisms aren't very precise to adjust and either hop too much or too little. It's very hard to get it in that perfect spot. However, replacement aftermarket hop-up kits are readily available for all of Marui's M16 variants. The hop-up is accessible by pulling back to cocking lever to open the ejection port, which pulls back the dummy-bolt revealing the adjustment wheel.

Take-down requires removing the 2 large pins from the receiver which results in being able to pull the entire upper receiver and outer barrel assembly apart from your lower receiver and stock. A smaller pin the middle of the lower receiver and the magazine catch must be removed to get the gearbox out. As well, the stock must be removed since it screws directly into the back of the gearbox. The battery compartment lies within the butt-stock of the replica and is accessible under a hinged opening on the butt-plate. The A2 accommodates a large type battery, which is a major plus. Large type batteries with bigger cells seem to hold a more efficient charge and last much longer than even higher voltage small type batteries. I've never needed anything more than an 8.4 1700 mah large type battery for my A2 for an entire weekend, and that's with a 350 fps upgrade!

The Exterior

The TM M16A2 has a very decent amount of metal parts including; the entire outer barrel, the front sight assembly, the rear sight assembly, the flash-hider, the forward sling mount, the rear sling mount, the trigger, the trigger guard, the cocking lever, the ejection port flap, the magazine catch, the bolt catch, the selector switch, the butt-plate, and maybe a couple more I haven't remembered.

The A2 model has a fixed carry-handle with a circular mounting port that can accommodate either a scope directly or a rail-mount. There are 2 sling mounts, unlike the M4A1, this model doesn't have the tactical forward side-mount. The stock and hand-guards are a flat black, while the receiver itself is actually a paler grayish-black. Some enthusiasts have been known to paint their receivers flat black for a more realistic look, although mine looks more like a camouflage panzer tank. The receiver includes Colt and US govt trademark engravings on one side, and a Tokyo Marui trademark engraving on the other side. The selector switch also has engraved markings for safe, full, or semi fire. Like with most TM replicas, the engravings are very high quality.

The trigger guard can be opened or closed. The front and rear sights are totally adjustable, the package includes a small adjustment tool for the front sight. The rear sight can also be flipped for wide or narrow setting.

Durability

I've yet to have parts fall off of my M16A2 after several months of consistent use, even with lending it to newer players. On some replicas it's easy to loose the flash-hider, the pins, or the selector switches due to durability issues. This doesn't seem to be the case with the TM M16A2. I've heard stories about pins falling out of used A2s, although that could easily be a result of overuse.

The long outer barrel has a tendency to wobble. This problem can usually be fixed by adjusting a very small hex screw at the base of the assembly. There are also several aftermarket parts available to reinforce it. Consistent use will also cause the butt-stock to start making some creaking noises, but nothing too serious. I would advise buyers of this model to be careful if you decide to use a sling because it will put stress on the outer barrel and can accelerate the barrel wobble problem.

Upgrade Options

M16 variants are some the most upgradeable versions of Tokyo Marui replicas ever made. You'll find most of the tactical modifications are better suited for the M4A1, although the M16A2 still has a vast array of upgrade parts. Here are just a FEW things you can do to the TM M16 that we've seen on the real-steel counterparts; RIS rails, ready-mags, flip-up sites, bi-level rails, M203 grenade launchers, patriot kits, SR25 kits, v-match, vertical forward grips, cheek-rests, metal receivers, SD kits, sniper stocks, and much more. Just about anything you can do to mod a "real steel" M16 or M4, you can do to the Airsoft version. If not, chances are some company is making a replica of the part you have in mind as we speak.

Internally, the Version2 gearbox is very easy to find upgrade or replacement parts for. You won't have to buy an entire kit to upgrade your internals, rather it's easy to find individual parts by themselves.

Tactically Speaking

If there's one good thing about such a long flagging barrel, it's the fact that it's very easy to point and shoot before lining up a target in your sights. Fire for effect or cover fire with the A2 can often result in a hit simply because it's so simple to just look down that long barrel at the enemy. That nice long inner barrel also helps accuracy a lot. However, the minute you step into closer quarters you can easily begin to tell how the A2 can be very cumbersome. I've smacked mine up against so many walls and doors, it's not even funny! I suppose the fact that it's still in one piece is a testament to Marui's quality craftsmanship.

The Bottom Line

The military uses it because it works. In some cases they're even kicking themselves about switching to the M4A1, especially with the differences in effective range. We also see a noticeable difference in effective range with the Airsoft replicas. If effective range is important to you, the M16A2 may be the way to go. It's a down and dirty outdoor skirmish weapon, with the battery room to back it up. As for the indoors, well, better hope you have a sidearm... And don't catch it on the door on your way in.
Matt

Team: APST

Return to Assault Rifles