Tokyo Marui M14

Tokyo Marui M14

Postby Billdozer » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Published on: Thu 05 Jan, 2006

Introduction:

At first I started writing a 'professional' review for the M14. It started off with extensive background information on the M14, and then went on with mundane details. Well we aren't playing real steel, and no one gives two shits about the box. My review is strictly from a player's standpoint.

Externals/Feel:

I bought my fake wood-stocked M14 from www.dentrinityshop.com. I paid $315 for the gun, and $30 for a King Arms scope mount. The gun arrived three days later. I opened it up, and I was initially impressed with the externals. Although at this point anything looked great, I was used to my Fa-mas. Now that I've owned the replica for a few months, I think I can be a more accurate judge. The stock looks mediocre. There is no 'wood' grain to it at all, like on TMs AK series. It doesn't look convincing at all. When I first purchased the gun, I had intended it to complete a Vietnam load out I had. Although at this point, I wish I would've gone for the olive drab synthetic version.

The upper handguard seems to be made of cheap plastic. It's shiny, and just feels bad. It's not so bad that I need to replace it, but somewhere down the line I intend to. Chances are I'm going to fit a real steel wood stock, and they usually come with the upper hand guards anyway.

The metal parts seem to be of high quality. The finish is nice and non-reflective. The paint scratches quickly around moving parts, like the charging handle, although the paint on the trigger is still intact. The charging handle makes a very nice sound when racked. But just up until now, it would get stuck or displaced occasionally, although just popping it back in place works. Don't be afraid to use force. I think it's now worn enough to function smoothly though, as the issue hasn't occurred for awhile.

A very simple modification can be applied to make the bolt catch functional. [url="http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=39779&hl="]Check this article at Arnie's[/url] for more information.

The directions will become much more obvious once you have the bolt catch disassembled. Something that isn't mentioned, be sure to locktite the pin in place! So during a game, right after I'd applied this mod, I looked at my gun, and there was no bolt catch. I searched for a minute, than realized my efforts would be futile. So now my gun has an ugly blank spot where my bolt catch used to comfortably reside.

The trigger pull is one of my favorite things about this weapon. It's very short and crisp, with a predictable let off. The response time obviously varies with the type of battery being used. This brings me to one of the major issues with this gun, battery space. The G&G M14 can hold a 12V battery; I can't even fit a 9.6V 1900mAh battery in the TM. Come on, you didn't think I wouldn't compare the TM M14 to G&Gs counterpart.

One last little issue is that the flash hider/front sight wobbles about 1mm left and right.

Performance:

The M14 boasts a 510mm barrel, which is the same length as the M16/AUG/M249. The only guns with longer barrels are the Sig 550 and PSG-1. This factor, combined with the new one piece style hopup, gives the M14 excellent accuracy and range. The hopup adjustment isn't in the ejection port either; it's in the magazine well. It can still be adjusted with the magazine in the gun. It's a very stable way to set hopup, and doesn't move at all, unlike other AEGs I've used.

The standard magazine capacity is 70 rounds. The hi-capacity magazines hold 450 rounds. The magazines are not compatible with G&G, or any other M14s for that matter (STAR, AC). Fortunately magazines are readily available on eBay, from eHobbyAsia.

The sight base on the gun is very long; it pretty much consists of the whole receiver to the end of the muzzle, minus 4 inches. The sights are like that of other service rifles (M16, M1). The rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation, and the front for windage via allen key.

Upgrade Potential

The M14 uses a new gearbox design, version 7. It comes with some new parts, such as the sector gear and cylinder. For a complete list of new parts, read the reviews mentioned earlier. At the time of this publication, gears have just come out. And of course there are the other compatible V2/V3 parts, like springs and bushings.

Like I mentioned earlier, I purchased a King Arms scope mount with the gun. I also purchased a cheap Tasco 3-9x 40 scope from Walmart. But as with any stock AEG, I don't feel the need for a scope. Once I upgrade the gun, maybe that will change, but for now the iron sights work just fine. Besides the cheap King Arms mount stripped a screw on one of it's two mounting points. The other constantly needs tightening. It also is a much lighter finish than the rest of the gun.

There are also slings, RIS, flash hiders, and more. I purchased Springfield Armory M2 bipod, and it is compatible with the airsoft M14.

TM vs. G&G

I haven't extensively used or researched the G&G M14, so I can't really compare the two M14s. The extent of my experience with this gun is holding and firing an upgraded one. The stock felt better than my TM M14, but other than that they were similar. So if you were looking for a comparison between the two replicas, I suggest you read Seagreen's review and try to be the judge yourself.

Conclusion

I love my M14. It's a heavy thing with the bipod mounted, and it's definitely big. It is 45" long, so that is obvious. I find that it adequately fits my playing style. Sometimes I feel like using smaller guns though, because it is at times cumbersome. Is the M14 the right gun for you? I suggest you read Nightshade's AEG Guide and find out for yourself.

Billdozer
Banned
Banned

Team: N/A

Return to Assault Rifles