AGM M4 TDW-RAS (Scar-L Mk-16)

AGM M4 TDW-RAS (Scar-L Mk-16)

Postby prowl375 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Photo on 2012-04-27 at 15.48.jpg
Better picture
Photo on 2012-04-27 at 15.48.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 1781 times

This is my first ever Airsoft review, so let's hope I do it right.

I bought this gun from Airsoft Megastore for about $200. It arrived exactly one week later.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: Out of the box, this thing looks beautiful. The desert tan is much darker than the pictures show. It's closer to a brownish-tan color. The FN Herstal trades are nice, but they were covered by this annoying safety sticker that was a pain in the a$$ to get off.

PROBLEMS OUT OF THE BOX: It had quite a few. The mag is closer to a brown-green color (not really a con, but it's irritating at times). The pistol grip was wobbly to the point where I felt like it was going to fall out. The outer barrel is/was extremely loose and something stripped on the inside, so it fell out many times. The worst problem of all was that the hop-up was completely non-functioning. I managed to get these fixed for about $50, but it's still a con.

OVERVIEW: I haven't disassembled the gun, but I can tell you a few things. It has a Version 2 gearbox. The upper receiver is made of some kind of thick, lightweight metal. The wind-up hi-cap M4 mag is thin aluminum. The lower receiver is rather nice, textured ABS plastic, as is the stock. I don't think the plastic is going to break unless you throw the gun on the ground. It will have no chance if you do. Take the phrase 'high-quality' with a grain of salt. It would do good to remember that this is a Chinese clone of the Classic Army Scar-L. It's good quality, but the VFC version is much better.

FEATURES: The gun comes with flip-up iron sights (adjustable for windage and elevation) and a 330 round mag (even though the manual says it's only 160 rounds). There are four rails; a full length top rail, a bottom rail that's just about as long as possible, and two side rails. The hop-up is located under the shell ejection port. It's a basic wheel-style hop up (even though the stock one didn't work). The stock has a 1-point raisable cheek rest (any higher will expose the battery compartment). It folds to the right side, and extends 3 positions. The stock is very nicely designed and very comfortable. It also comes with an 8.4v 1100 mAh mini-type battery that fits under the cheek rest in the stock. The battery is very easy to install, though the wires do show when the stock is folded.

SHOOTING: I haven't chrono'd the gun, but my guess is that it shoots between 400 and 420. It's a bit hot for CQC, but that's all right. The thing is pretty damn accurate at 100 feet, especially with a functioning hop-up. The gun has occasional multi-feeding issues, but it's very rare. The only serious con I have about the shooting is the trigger response. It's not very good. You need to pull the trigger all the way back to get the gun to shoot on semi-auto. On full-auto, you can pull it back halfway and it'll shoot, but not semi. That puzzles me a little, but it's not too big of an issue.

OPINION: For a Chinese clone, the AGM MK-16 Scar-L is a rather good gun for beginners or intermediate-level players. It has a few issues, but they're not too expensive to fix. The gun has a decently long inner barrel, so it's very accurate. In my first skirmish with it, I got three people out, which is very good since it was the first match I ever played with my own gun. The one problem is that it's a bit front-heavy. I recommend getting a good foregrip. I'm also not a big fan of the iron sights (though they are accurate). I would also recommend a red/green dot sight for that reason.

SHOULD YOU GET IT?: No. It's ok, but it's not very good. The build quality is ok, but eventually it will fall apart on you. The accuracy is ok, but it gets worse the more you use it. The range is incredible once the hop-up works, but it's very bad for field games. If you are going to get this gun, use it for CQC. If you want a Scar to use in the field, drop the extra money and get the VFC Scar.

AGM-055B1.jpg
Not-so-good picture
AGM-055B1.jpg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
Last edited by prowl375 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Tactical Annihilation.

Tactics, Annihilation, Success.
prowl375
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: AGM M4 TDW-RAS (Scar-L Mk-16)

Postby prowl375 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 pm

Correction: This gun just gets worse and worse. It has now broken 3 times, and the accuracy is getting worse and worse. The trigger response is equally a bad. With a functioning hop-up, the range is incredible, but the lack of accuracy means that there's basically no point. Avoid this gun despite the pros that I gave. Drop the extra cash and get the VFC version.
Team Tactical Annihilation.

Tactics, Annihilation, Success.
prowl375
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Return to Assault Rifles