My M40A1 review and at home mods...

My M40A1 review and at home mods...

Postby roamer_devildawg » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Tanaka M40A1 Gas powered Sniper Rifle ( REVIEW )
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well i guess we should start off by giving some info on the Tanaka's real steel father.

U.S.M.C. M40A1 (Real Steel)
----------------------------------
Manufacturer: Specially trained armorers at Quantico, Virginia.
Length: 44 inches (111.76 centimeters)
Barrel length: 24 inches (61 centimeters)
Weight: 14.5 pounds (6.58 kilograms)
Bore diameter: 7.62mm (.308 inches)
Maximum effective range: 1000 yards (914 meters)
Muzzle velocity: 2550 feet (777 meters) per second
Chamber pressure: 50,000 psi
Magazine capacity: 5 rounds
Unit Replacement Cost: $2,105

Features: The M40A1 sniper rifle is based on the Remington model 700. It is a heavy barrel, bolt action, magazine fed 7.62mm rifle that is optimized for accuracy with Match Grade ammunition. The rifle is equipped with a special 10 power Unertl sniper scope. With scope, the rifle weighs approximately 14.5 pounds. It is equipped with a built-in five round magazine. This weapon is hand-made by specially trained and qualified armorers at Quantico, Virginia.
The unique characteristics of the M40A1 Sniper Rifle are: commercial competition-grade heavy barrel, McMillan fiberglass stock and butt pad, modified Winchester Model 70 floorplate and trigger guard, and modified and lightened trigger. In addition, each stock is epoxy bedded for accuracy and all weapons must shoot less than one minute of angle (MOA).

Background: The M40A1 was put into service in the 1970s to meet the need of a long range sniper rifle. Each rifle is hand built by specially trained and qualified personnel at the Marine Corps Marksmanship Training Unit (MTU) at Quantico, Virginia.
========================================

Tanaka M40A1 (Airsoft Model)
-----------------------------------
Description :
Length: 1110mm
Weight: 2745g
Capacity: 10rd
485fps(134a Gas) 567fps(Top Gas)
Factory : TANAKA
Specification :
System: Gas Type

Im not going to get into the whole opening the box like most do in a review, since i dont think most want to about how late the UPS guy was or how the box smelled like a new box, WHO CARES. Im going to tell you about the stuff that matters.
So lets get started. The weight and balance is very nice, I would have to say the most user friendly feel out of all the rifles i have owned. The molded in cheek rest is a plus, BUT its not that tall so small scope rings will be needed to be super comfortable while looking though your scope, unless you get a aftermarket cheekrest pad to raise your head.
Out of the box it shot OK, there were a few wild BB's that went left now and then, but at-home-fixes can be done to help it along for cheap or no cost to you ( depending what you have around your home ).
The first thing i did to my rifle was Teflon tape any screw, bolt or gaps the the gas could get through on the the way to the BB itself. The PCS adjustment screw is one of the parts i feel you must Teflon tape since the thread are so coarse, it it was a fine threaded bolt i wouldint of worried about it so much.
Basically if you take the rifle apart you will see all the parts that need to be taped. Back to the wild BB's, one thing that i think soooo many people over look is the HOP-BUCKING ALIGNMENT, just because it can only go in one way that doesint mean it cant be turned by just a tiny,tiny bit, but that tiny bit can cause a BB to go wild
and i know this first hand. When i took apart i pushed down on the bucking and noticed the left side of the contact point on the bucking came down first (it did not come down even) causing the BB to get a little left spin instead of a back spin.
So the fix is re-align and put the hop chamber back on, check to make sure it didint move and if it did keep doing it untill its perfect. After doing this i noticed maybe one wild BB out of 50 shots and im thinking it was just the BB's i was using at the time.
On to BB's, i have noticed the the .36 Graphite Straits work the best for me, i know thay have gotten a bad wrap but both me and my buddy both agree that thay work the best in our Tanaka's.
What upgrades do i have?, i ended up getting the G&G M700 rubber kit because it comes with a hard hop-rubber and you need that with a high FPS shooting rifle and the $22 shipped was a plus to.
After installing all the rubbers i took it outside and shot it and all i have to say is that thoes BB's were on rails, MAN, the BB's went down the field dead strait, so for $22 bucks it uped my rifles performance by 300%. Now i dont plan on getting a inner barrel because the M40A1 comes stock with a 6.04 inner
so i cant see paying $65 for .01 smaller I.D.
In the end i would have to give the Tanaka M40A1 a all around 9 out of 10

One thing i did notice that needs to be fixed right out of the box is the mag slop in the reciver, which can also be fixed at home, check out what i did to fix it. I got a soda cand and cut 2 small little squars out, for shims, and used apoxy to glue them on......
it was a super fast dring apoxy so this fix only took 15min or so...
now there is NO play and the valve is able to seal perfectly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is part 2 of my many at home tricks you can do to your Tanaka 700series rifles (including the M40A1)....So back to the point at hand, alot of people complain about inner barrel movement or missalignment because the outer barrel is not free floating, well i have the fix..NOTE: this mod took me 10min, BUT i was a machinist, so if you are not very handy around the shop/garage add 15-20min to the work time..
WHAT YOU NEED:
#1: drill bit
#2: corresponding tap ( you have to have the right tap to the drill bit size )
here is a chart.
http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/do ... pchart.gif
#3: allen head set screws
First thing your going to want to do is mark 4 spots evenly spaced around your hop chamber nut (thats what i call it), the best way to do this is by marking a cross on the front. After its all marked its time to drill (this should be self-explanatory), once all the holes are drilled its time to tap, one thing i can not stress enough is MAKE SURE YOUR TAP IS LEVEL IN THE HOLE, the nut is brass so you can cross thread or tap the hole crooked very easy..after you drilled and tapped the nut it should look like this.

Now screw your nut back on the hop chamber and start putting in the set screws.

Now i just look down the inner barrel and adjust the set screws to make sure the gap is perfectly even between the nut and inner barrel. like this..

Now put your rifle back together and have fun...Hope you liked the MOD.
roamer_devildawg
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby killbucket » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:18 am

Nice work. That gun is making me reach for my wallet. After seeing how yours ended up, I'm wanting one too. If you painted it yourself, hat's off.
I have more toys...than anybody...Google my name.
killbucket
Ranger
Ranger

Postby KA-BAR » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:46 am

yes yes, nice review and mod suggestions. id like to see more pics though of your mods, like where you teflon taped majore leakage areas. the allen set skrew idea was really cool also. looks like a top notch rifle, as for the paint its a personal prefreence but it leaves a lil to be desired IMO.

other then that over all great read.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby O'Coleman » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Garrett wrote:yes yes, nice review and mod suggestions. id like to see more pics though of your mods, like where you teflon taped majore leakage areas. the allen set skrew idea was really cool also. looks like a top notch rifle, as for the paint its a personal prefreence but it leaves a lil to be desired IMO.

other then that over all great read.

Paul probably won't get back to this topic as he has currently really busy with his gear company (Go-Gear Tactical). You can email him at this website if you are really anxious over the whole "Tanaka Mods" subject.

http://www.gogeartactical.com/home.htm
O'Coleman
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Kenny » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Nice.
I like it.
How much did your M40 cost, Redwolf sells theirs for $330 to $440
And what's the FPS on your M40?
Superman wears Jack Bauer underwear.
Kenny
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Raging Hormann » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:43 pm

well, I don't know price, but the velocities are 485 using 134a and 567 using top gas.
Wait a sec, isn't 134a top gas? And green gas is HFC22? or am I wrong there...?
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby Mrmagoo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 am

hfc123a is duster gas. Green, Top and HFC22 are all the exact same gas.

And props on the nice rifle. Wonder what that thing would shoot like with remote HPA and a dees custom 6.01mm barrel
I sleep soundly. The fact that people die because of an AK-47 is not because of the designer, but because of politics. (Mikhail Kalashnikov)
Mrmagoo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby KA-BAR » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:00 am

just got a KJW M700 that i have named "Intervention".

no work or mods to report as of yet, but as soon as youngblood gets the parts this will get the HPA conversion for all weather shooting. but this will be my primary honor checker for the summer, and at the BSP Scout/Sniper 2 i plan on taking first not second this time!

i did the paint job this time instead of paying someone else to do it for me. pretty much my first attempt. could be better, but its not too bad.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Postby REDNECK » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:53 am

I like that camo both styles on this page I'm gonna try to put them together but with different colors like light green, dark green and dark brown with the net method he used
SILENCE! I kill you. Achmed the dead terriorist

PACSR 3rd DET. squad 1
REDNECK
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Sleepy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 pm

I like that paintjob, Morgan, looks good. Looks kind of shiny, you might consider hitting with a can of spray-on matte finish. Maybe it's just the camera. Still, looks good. Gonna be carrying that all summer?
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Postby Charon » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:43 pm

Damn, it looks like the Tanaka M40A1 lacks the rubber cheek piece. Good job though, but I would rather wait 10 years for a high quality expensive realistic spring M40A1.

Charon
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Captain G.H.O.S.T » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:04 pm

good review.. and morgan, not bad for a first time paint job *thumbs up*
No. 5 RAC

Captain G.H.O.S.T
Specops
Specops

Team: RAC 5

Return to Long Rifles