Review of the KJW M700 Gas Rifle (sniper)

Review of the KJW M700 Gas Rifle (sniper)

Postby Top T » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:21 pm

This is a review of the KJW M700 Gas Sniper Rifle.

As a retailer, I see my fair share of youngsters (or older airsoft noobs) come into the store and want a sniper rifle. When I ask what attracted them to the role of sniper, the answer’s always the same- TV or video games. Such media sources really glamorize and hype the role of sniper, and it seems to attract quite a few people.

There are a ton of good and great sniper rifles out there, and for all the veterans out there, you know that a sniper rifle is an investment. It’s not cheap. Some that I’ve seen are $2000 or more. I decided to post this review on the KJW M700 Gas Rifle because of its solid performance out of the box, but more importantly, its affordable price.

The KJW M700 is very economical which makes it a great choice for those who want to be snipers and not shell out a ton of money, and is a great sniper rifle right out of the box. I chrono’d two of our store guns at 550-560. Very consistent and very hard hitting. There are other sniper rifles that begin at 350-400 and it takes a ton of cash and upgrades to bring it up to 550. The KJW shoots that hard without any upgrades.

Gas-powered means that there is no spring that needs to be pulled. Other spring bolt actions require quite a bit of muscle power to pull back. Not only must you be strong, but if you are in the prone, you will have quite the struggle trying to pull the spring. Such a struggle might cost you valuable time in reacquiring your target, or the extra movement on your part may give your position away. Being gas powered, a person can easily pull the M700’s bolt back with one finger- slow and steady- and reacquire and fire. The downside to gas is that colder temperatures tend to adversely affect gas-powered guns, and if you plan on making a lot of shots, then plan to carry at least one can of gas on you.

Hop up adjustment is exceptionally easy. There is a tiny adjustment nob on the top of the rifle (very convenient location) and spins left and right (like a windage knob) to make hop up adjustments easy and with minimal movement. Other sniper rifles have them inside the gun, or buried deep inside the mag well, making them impossible to adjust while on the hunt.

Like any GBB, bb’s and gas go into the mag. 10+1 shots don’t sound like much, but if played right, a sniper does not need much more than that. However, because of video games, many people have the impression that a sniper has unlimited shots at unlimited targets, so 10+1 shots to them seems painfully inadequate. In cases like that, I suggest buying an extra mag or two…

As with any sniper weapon though, they require special accessories to complete the ensemble; bipod, scope, etc… In most cases, some rifles are as basic as they come, leaving the buyer to figure out what works best with the gun. The KJW M700, however, can be bought all by itself and accessorized later, or (through some retailers) can be purchased as a complete kit (for less than $100 extra), with items that are meant to complement the rifle perfectly. So, for pricing purposes, this rifle is a steal at less than $200 by itself, or just under $300 with all the gadgets and goodies.

And if someone does not have the ability to purchase a scope right away, then at least the KJW M700 has good iron sights. Other rifles I’ve seen don’t have any sights at all, being useless as a weapon until the shooter buys a scope. Accuracy-wise, it comes with a standard AEG inner barrel, meaning that an upgrade to a tightbore (6.04-6.01) is essential, drastically increasing range and accuracy, and adding a bit more FPS as well.

The KJW M700 also comes in two models; the standard rifle, and a Take Down version (for a slightly higher price). This makes the rifle a bit more compact when traveling to and from ops, and for storage purposes.

Pros-
-VERY affordable
-Shoots 550+ out of the box, no expensive upgrades needed
-Super easy bolt action pull
-Convenient hop up adjustment
-Can be bought rifle only or as a complete kit
-Iron sights to use until a scope is purchased
-Take Down version

Cons-
-Gas could be adversely affected by colder temperatures
-Needs accessories (and tightbore barrel) to be truly effective
-10+1 shots per mag

Final verdict- Great product, great price, great performance out of the box. For those that really want to be a sniper, but live on a tight budget, then this may be the gun for you.

Top T
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Sleepy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Having used the M700 in a DMR fashion, I can say that even out of the box, this is a really nice rifle. Its very lightweight, and the accuracy isn't *bad*. But it is a gas hog. Be prepared to buy a lot of extra mags if you use it the way I did, or spend a lot of time loading ammo and gas.
The King Of al-Talk. Hey, at least I'm not a troll.

My dog wouldn't know what to do with a duck if she caught it, but she's cute. And hates Mexicans. +1!
Sleepy

Postby Carpet » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:08 pm

For the M700 to be viable in the ACTUAL sniper role, it really must be converted to HPA. Ive spent a fair amount of time with this particular rifle, it has a way with having random eratic shots, and according to the laws of fate, always happen when you REALLY dont want them too. What im saying is, unlike a spring platform, the M700 has its good and bad days, and its accuracy really isnt reliable. If your feild craft is good enough that you can close your targets within a hundred feet, then your golden with this rifle, but if your lookin to reach out and touch, this aint your best bet.
Carpet
Specops
Specops

Postby Raging Hormann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:17 pm

I agree with Carpet. I upgraded one of these with a Dee's barrel for a friend, an it was an amazing rifle, but it had range issues due to the gas fluctuating.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby Nox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:46 am

I have had a KJW for a while now, and after some upgrades and a CO2 conversion, I am taking 250+ foot shots with decent accuracy and no fliers.
My setup is an M700 Police version with a 3-9x50mm scope and bipod.
Upgrades/Mods are:
G&G Striker spring
Promethius 6.03mm 650mm steel inner barrel
King arms air seal bucking
custom made hopup nub
Home made 'Cold Shot' unit that utilizes 12 gram co2 powerlets

I get around 40 shots per powerlet with speeds of 500 fps with my regulator set at 100psi - I've played in temps of 40 degrees up to 80 and I havent had any problems at all in that range as far as consistency and accuracy.

My only cons about the rifle is the bolt is a tad loose in the carrier - it wobbles around too much for my liking, and that the magazine needs a different seating system because it doesn't lock in as tightly as I would like it to.
I am a long time airsoft player but haven't taken the step to sniping until the last year, and I have to say that buying a KJW was one of the smartest buys I have ever made.
While out of the box performance is shoddy (the stock barrel is 6.10mm - you read that right, 6.10) the rifle has ALOT of potential as a base platform.
Mine cost 200 dollars and I have put another 250 into it, and I am completely satisfied with its performance.
Nox

Postby Carpet » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:15 pm

The CO2 regulator system solves the inherent accuracy problems of the stock green gas design, because the regulator im assuming is regulating the expanded C02, to create a consistent pressure behind the BB.
Carpet
Specops
Specops

Postby Seagreen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:11 pm

Yeah, you use a low pressure CP customs reg and you can keep it dialed down.

I built one a few years ago. Worked great. Slayed bodies....etc.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Amos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:37 pm

I've been running a KJW M700P for almost two years, and I've learned that there is quite a bit of work to be done in order for it to be a viable option for the Sniper roll.

I plan on getting a new M700 in the future and doing a full tutorial on the modifications.

Seagreen wrote:Yeah, you use a low pressure CP customs reg and you can keep it dialed down.

I built one a few years ago. Worked great. Slayed bodies....etc.

CP Regs 'work'.

In order to use C02 in a rig, you need a Palmers Stabilizer regulator, they're designed to work on unsiphoned C02. For this reason I've gotten rid of the C02 powerlets in favor of a small HPA bottle.
"We are going to find their pole. Then we are going to smoke it. We are going to smoke their pole." -Summers
Amos
Specops
Specops

Team: APST

Postby Seagreen » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I had bad luck with the Palmer...it didn't work for shit. I had a 5-10psi varience, and that is too much.

The CP did a far better job in my experience. The only thing have to be done on the regulator was servicing it.

Then again....that's just me. I don't recall missing that often though.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Jester316 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Tyler, you don't need another M700. You already have 2 of them...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Nox » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:34 pm

I've heard good things about both the CP and the Palmers regulators, but of the two I decided to go with the CP because it had better M700 reviews and it was a free loan from a teammate.
I have the possibility of trying HPA pretty soon, I think I'll give it a shot and see what kind of performance changes I get to see if its worthwhile or not.
Nox

Postby Amos » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:47 pm

HPA is a FAR cleaner alternative, and because it's never stored in a liquid state, it is FAR more consistent.

The drawback being having to run a remote line to your rifle. This doesn't bother me, but some might become irritated with it.

Gunny used my rig last weekend, and he could tell you how it works. ;)

And Andrew, if you buy a new rifle, I could do the mods to it for the review. Never said it had to be for me. :)
"We are going to find their pole. Then we are going to smoke it. We are going to smoke their pole." -Summers
Amos
Specops
Specops

Team: APST

Postby Jester316 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:57 pm

I might take you up on that Tyler. I'm trying to move my 1911's to fund one...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Carpet » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12 pm

After I sell my M700's, yall always make me want to buy a new one. shazaam.
Carpet
Specops
Specops

Return to Long Rifles