KJW Sig Sauer P226 Full Metal Quick Review (More Later)

KJW Sig Sauer P226 Full Metal Quick Review (More Later)

Postby Rooke » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:59 pm

Today, after a long trip across town to the post office, I finally recieved my long awaited KJW Sig Sauer P226, the ONLY full metal by default Sig pistol. I LOVE the Sig series, but the only model still in production before the KJW was Mauri's plastic version and cheap springers and GBBs that arent worth mentioning. The Mauri DOES have metal conversion kits, but at $300 for a nice one, I figured I'd wait on someone to make a metal version. Someone like KJW.

==History==

Before I go any futher, let me enlighten those who do not know the Sig OR KJW (I'll start with the latter).

KJW were amoung some of the first GBB, and definitly the first metal GBBs. The first editions weren't that great.. Infact, they sucked. Cheap metal made cheap guns, and the lack of a hop-up didn't stand too well with most players. After airsoft became a more popular sport, however. KJW invested in some more familier designs, such as the M9, and began work on a better quality pistol, which resulted in the KJW Beretta ELITE, a prized side arm in the field. Ever since that sucker was released (For about $100, mind you), KJW has been praised for it's great quality pistols with a tiny price tag.

The Sig Sauer P226 is the newer edition in the line of Sig Sauer pistols. Starting with the 220, the Sig pistols have come a long way in frame and slide design, including grips, the size and shape, materials used, methods of putting them together and over all quality. After several models passed without much interested, Sig released the P226 as the best side arm to own for officers and soldiers a like, as it had a DAO trigger setting, a seperate de-cocker and an easy method of disassembly. It held a large capcity magazine and was designed around the concept of being a robust yet dandy pistol. This, many say, is the reason for it's odd looks (Which WILL grow on you). The P226 has been adopted by many law enforcement agencies, has entereted the X9 trials, and has even been made the offical side arm of the Navy SEALS. This alone is enough evidance to prove the P226's worth in the field.

==In The Box==

I first tore open this sucker at my first red light. I couldn't help but stare at that white FEDEX bag staring up at me sappily, begging to be torn open. As soon as I hit the brakes, I savagily broke into the bag and pulled out a rather nicely decorated box displaying a P229 with accesory and knife. Not bad at all, considering most airsoft pistols come in either a really cheesy box or a really bland box. Lifting the cover, I saw a manual (written all in chinese, unfortintly.. But still good enough to get info from), the pistol settled nicely in it's foam pouch, and a box of 100 6mm (Weight estimated at .20s). One thing that I might mention that I found a little odd was that the pistol came with ONLY 100 6mm. That's small compaired to other deals I've gotten. The pistol shined in the stop light. It wanted to be held.

==Holding The Pistol==

Boy is this thing HEAVY! I weighed it in at about 2 pounds, and I can tell it's the metal - not a weight. It's feels solid. It looks solid. It IS solid. This thing feels like if you run out of ammo, you can still score a kill by chucking it at someone's head. The hammer is tightly held up to the butt of the slide. No danging like on WA pistols - Nice. It's nice and firm to the cock - only making one residing click as it makes it's position in fully cocked. No springs being winded here! The decocker works great, using a two stage method: The hammer gently moves back into the original position. I feel the trigger - it's very comfortable, VERY functional. The double action feature worked like a charm - it even had that strong trigger pull to prevent any misfires (DAO means NO manual saftey). I pulled back the slide, which, to my delight, made an extremely satisfiying series of clicks and clanks as it was caught by the slide release. Pushing the slide release down sends the slide forward with a dignified CLANK! This pistol's metal is of good quality - definitly worth a hold. I pulled the slide back again, locked it, and took out the magazine. Looks great, feels great, but seems.. Light? It doesn't feel like it would break or anything, but I did find it odd that it WAS rather light compaired to the rest of the pistol. I pushed the disassembly lever forward and released the slide. It slide across it's rails and allowed me to pull it off. I quickly put it back on, locked it, put the magazine in and put forward the slide, decocking afterwards. Time to take this home to see what it's made of.

==Dissasembly==

This is one thing I was really hoping would be true to the real thing. Luckily for me, it IS. To take this puppy apart, you must first pull the slide back into the locked position and remove the magazine. Then, push the disassembly lever down and forward so that it is 90 degress from it's original position. Now just release the slide and pull it off. You can now push forward the knob end of the spring guide and remove that, then slide the barrel forward and out. VERY easy to do, and in doing so, you'd find both the hop-up and a neat feature similar to the Browning Swinging Link system. You can see that the inner barrel works by a series of knobs to allow it to angle downward upon the slide's movement backward, alinging it to the magazine's hatch so that it can easily load a fresh round into the chamber. While this is a great little feature, it DOES make the gun have a slight clanky noise whilst shaking it. Not a big deal, really. Put back the barrel, put back the spring guide, and put the slide on the gun. With your middle finger, push the barrel back as far as it will go, then push the disassembly lever back up to it's original position. Remember - PUSH THE BARREL. Otherwise, the system wont be alinged and the pistol will not stay together.

==Likes, Dislikes==

The Good: First, it's a Sig. And a Sig is a great weapon. It's rugged and reliable. Second, it's a KJW, so it's fully metal with good quality and a low price tag. Third, it's a KJW with a *hop-up*, something not common in KJW pistols.

The Bad: My only complaint consists of the wobbly noise from the barrel swing design and the seam of the grips. The back portion of the grips where the two pices meet can be rugged if you're not lucky, and can be a pain in the arse unless filed down. This isn't all KJW's fault, however, as it's been a plauge on REAL Sig Firearms since the 220.

==Overall==

While I haven't had a chance to fire this puppy yet, I can't wait 'till I do. Until then, I can safely say this pistol looks, feels and probably even TASTES good. It's got great quality and a few little features to make the buyer happy (The firm hammer being one). For a price tag of only a hundrded smackers, I'm no where near complaining.

Pictures, target practise results and field reviews coming soon! Hope you guys like it so far - this is my first review.

For d
The more you try to erase me the more that I appear.
Rooke

Team: N/A

Postby Rogue Reaper » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Very good review. Can't wait to see the 90 day follow up.

BUT:

without trying to sound like a total asshole. I wish a cop would have seen you fiddeling with a firearm in your car at a light and put you in a federal pound me in the a$$ prison.

That being said, I find it amazing that such a great review can come from the same person that broke the cardinal rule of airsoft. DON"T SHOW YOUR SHIT IN PUBLIC. Some freaked out Soccer mom is all it takes to get laws passed.

Sorry to come down hard but....
I Like My Motorcycles Loud And My Firearms Quiet. ~ Me
Rogue Reaper

Postby Rooke » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:57 pm

-=OOHYA=- wrote:Very good review. Can't wait to see the 90 day follow up.

BUT:

without trying to sound like a total asshole. I wish a cop would have seen you fiddeling with a firearm in your car at a light and put you in a federal pound me in the a$$ prison.

That being said, I find it amazing that such a great review can come from the same person that broke the cardinal rule of airsoft. DON"T SHOW YOUR SHIT IN PUBLIC. Some freaked out Soccer mom is all it takes to get laws passed.

Sorry to come down hard but....

Oh, trust me, I know. Luckily it was dark and my windows are tinted in my shitty little car. Otherwise I wouldnt've DARED even open it. But temptation is a phony pony.
The more you try to erase me the more that I appear.
Rooke

Postby Rogue Reaper » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:05 pm

I hear you, I got something in the mail today as well. Had to drive home with that box just sitting there. BUT I did drive home with it.
I Like My Motorcycles Loud And My Firearms Quiet. ~ Me
Rogue Reaper

Postby yandle » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:45 pm

"It's nice and firm to the cock" :lol:

Nice first impression, it will be nice to hear how these things turn out.
Treefrog361
1st Chairborne Forces Operational Detachment-1337 (1st Space Shuttle Door Gunner)
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
yandle

Postby SteveDGoodwin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 am

I know KWA used to make a P226 PTP. You can still find them, but they are REALLY hard to find. I just recently bought the KJW 226 and love it.
SteveDGoodwin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Voodoo Man » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:28 pm

Look at the dates of the posts. You're a couple YEARS late for the party, pal.
Voodoo Man
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby SteveDGoodwin » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:25 pm

Better late than never
SteveDGoodwin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Switchback » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 pm

SteveDGoodwin wrote:Better late than never

No not always.
E
C
R
O
Switchback

Postby Beran » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:53 am

and it totally helps to keep bringing it back up.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Return to Pistols