Review: G&P URX (sr-15) Front kit

Review: G&P URX (sr-15) Front kit

Postby Whan » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:04 pm

Background:
In the world of airsoft, it seems as if 90% of the replicas are based off the M4 platform, and rightfully so. After all, it retains the highest number of aftermarket accessories and arguably can be the most unique platform. However, it also seems that the majority of M4s all look alike, with little to differentiate them. Thus one enters my dilemma. I want something different from the rest of the herd, but it seems as if the normal KAC RAS is way too common and even the Troy rails too ordinary. After the release of the KAC IWS rifles, I was hooked – I wanted a URX. So, after many months of in-my-head debating, I bought it.

The Exchange:
The URX is quite expensive, with most places selling it at a price upwards of $200 w/o shipping. I found it on Ehobbyasia for $155, with $32 shipping and a 5% discount. Not too shabby. The whole shipping process took a week, with Ehobby being on Chinese New year for 3 of those days. Finally, on 2/06/09, it arrived

Initial Impressions:
The URX is a beautiful piece, the finish even better than on my G&P metal body. It has a somewhat rough texture and a very flat finish. It was pretty much drop dead gorgeous (in my eyes). However, I was quite disappointed (though I expected it from the online pictures) that it came with NO rail covers or KAC Vert Grip.
Package:

Rail:

Trades: You can see they sharpied? out the Knights. Sort of

Installation:
The URX was a B**** to install. I mean that in it took 2 hours to install. First off, I had no specialized tools (nut wrench, etc) to even take off the old barrel assembly. Once it was off, I realized that the URX came with NO instructions. So I had to figure it out by myself. (Trust me, this wasn’t very easy to install. There were two rings that went inside the RIS itself). Furthermore, I choose not to buy the $40 tool that is “requiredâ€
Last edited by Whan on Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whan
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby CommieHunter » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:33 am

Looks very cool.

I love the front sight.

ACOG time.
CommieHunter

Team: SOTA

Postby Whan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:39 am

Thanks. That or an Aimpoint micro. I'm torn between them
Whan
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Peaches » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:59 am

How is that front sight??? I was thinking about that or the King Arms folding sight, kinda torn between both of them.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."-B. Lee
Peaches
Specops
Specops

Postby Whan » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:00 am

It's nice and sturdy, won't flip down on accident (for the most part), and is (believe it or not) fully adjustable.

I think you might be able to buy it separately, but I'm not sure...
Whan
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Crusader 6 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am

Wow, I really like that look.
Crusader 6
Specops
Specops

Postby GacktC » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:09 am

Nice gun.
So the installation kit is better to have then?
I wonder the SR25 front kit does mount on the reciever about the same way? And wonder would fit on a Normal M4 length reciever.
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Aeacus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:59 am

GacktC wrote:Nice gun.
I wonder the SR25 front kit does mount on the reciever about the same way? And wonder would fit on a Normal M4 length reciever.

I believe an installation kit is better. But it really sucks when you install your first one. I installed the SR-25 front kit on my Classic Army M4. You shouldn't have any problems.
Aeacus
Ranger
Ranger

Postby GacktC » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 am

Aeono wrote:
GacktC wrote:Nice gun.

I believe an installation kit is better. But it really sucks when you install your first one. I installed the SR-25 front kit on my Classic Army M4. You shouldn't have any problems.

I think I can't skip that $50 installation kit then.
It is easiler to upgrade & repair with a normal Ver2 mechbox than the long sr25 type GB.
The inner barrel length is just regular M16 length correct?
Cheers.
GacktC

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Aeacus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:47 am

GacktC wrote:Thanks :)
I think I can't skip that $50 installation kit then.
It is easiler to upgrade & repair with a normal Ver2 mechbox than the long sr25 type GB.
The inner barrel length is just regular M16 length correct?
Cheers.

I am pulling an all nighter so bear with me. When you say installation kit do you mean a barrel wrench? You won't believe how many people stare at my gun, and then ask what it is. They see the SR-25 front kit, but get totally thrown off by the M4 mags. My gun is definitely different from the rest of the 'herd'.

And yes, M16 length. Although I have a custom Dees Customs barrel in mine that stops right before the end of the barrel.
Aeacus
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Whan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:00 am

Personally, I found that the tool wasn't a necessity. I pretty much created a makeshift tool using a hexonal bar about 1.7 in long and 5mm in diameter along with a pair of pliers to replicate the tool. Worked out pretty well for me. Also, my inner barrel length is 16", but yeah, the SR-25k kit is m16 length
Whan
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:32 am

Battery wire out the Bolt catch totally ruins it for me

fail
ImageImage
I'm quoting myself because what I have to say is THAT IMPORTANT -Alex Kaeda
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Postby Deliverator » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:52 pm

So that is a standard M4 length barrel? I want to get the URX kit for my ICS M4 but I don't know if its compatible. If not then I'll just have to buy a G&P URX haha. But I'd throw a crane stock on mine to help counter the weight and give me a bigger battery.
Deliverator
Specops
Specops

Postby Whan » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:55 pm

Read wrote:Battery wire out the Bolt catch totally ruins it for me

fail

:( Why do you have to be so mean

But seriously, I am going to buy a redi-mag for it at some point, so you won't have to see the hideous wire :roll:

The URX kit has a 16" barrel, not 14.5, but it should fit on the ICS. Also, I have a magpul PRS stock that actualyl balances the weight out nicely. Center of balance is over the grip.
Whan
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:04 pm

sorry, I'm a realism buff, and visible wires are a massive point of hate for me

I've just been drinking too much Haterade lately, I'm going Gas here as soon as financially possible (trying to build a much more powerful technically gas gun, my Real Steel AR) and then I'll just hate AEG's in general :badgrin:
ImageImage
I'm quoting myself because what I have to say is THAT IMPORTANT -Alex Kaeda
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Next

Return to Parts and Accessories