BlackTalon Concepts Spectre MOSFET

BlackTalon Concepts Spectre MOSFET

Postby Gilligan » Thu May 01, 2014 11:40 pm

I recently acquired a version 2 Spectre FET from BlackTalon Concepts, and there isn't much mention that I see of his products here on AP so I thought I'd do a little review.

I ordered the FET directly from BlackTalon from his website (http://www.btcairsoft.com), it showed up promptly and in great packaging:

The package include the Spectre (complete drop in trigger unit wired to deans), a deans to tamiya adapter, the manual, and an extended gearbox screw for use near the selector plate (used to retain the selector plate as you have to remove the mechanical safety)

Installation:
Installation was pretty easy, as it's designed to be a drop in kit. My G&P shell required some minor modification, I just had to dremel out a small post that was blocking the extended switch for the cutoff sensor (I forgot to take a pic before I took it off, so here is an after pic:)

Unit in gearbox before I closed it up:

Routing the wires is pretty easy, there is an additional signal wire to be aware of, but it is thin so it's no big deal. The motor wires were pretty long, but you know what they say, better to have too much than not enough.

As you can see, its a replacement drop in unit, so no soldering required and it doesn't take up any additional space in the gearbox/buffer tube.

One thing to note it is that the selector sensors on the back of the trigger board can be a little fragile, so be careful with them.
Pro tip: I had to put some electrical tape between the selector plate and the metal contact plate that goes on it to make sure that the contact sensors were pressed by it.

Features:
This thing is awesome, its is fully programmable (via trigger pulls) and can do the following things:
Lipo battery low voltage cutoff - works really well, super nice so you don't have to deal with annoying unreliable alarms.
Digital fuse - can be programs between 20a-60a
Active Braking - for those who want it, useful to eliminate overspin. If this is active you can remove your AR latch.
Precocking - programed by milliseconds, lets the motor spin after cycle is completed so the piston rests mid stroke, puts stress on internals but makes trigger response super fast.
RoF control - adds a short delay between cycles (programmed by milliseconds) lets you slow down your rof without putting stress on your motor.
Fire mode - allows you to independently program each fire selector position, with Semi, Auto, burst (2-5rd, tap burst function so you don't have to hold down the trigger for the duration of the burst), Semi with ramping (Mash semi auto and it will shoot full auto as long as you keep pressing trigger), and Semi-Auto hybrid, which will shoot a burst, but if you hold the trigger down it will switch to full auto after a short delay. These selector positions also maintain individual programing for RoF control and Precocking, so for example you can have a semi with precooking on one position and a slowed down auto on the other.

In addition to these "active" features the FET also uses a cycle completion protocol, so no matter what the piston will always rest in the fully forward position, with the least amount of spring tension (unless you have precooking enabled). It also replaces the standard contact based trigger units with a microswitch, so you don't have to worry about burning out your contacts with an 11.1 lipo. This also makes the trigger a sort of pseudo-hair trigger, so the trigger pull is very short. This system does require the removal of the mechanical safety lever, but that is a pretty small trade off for what you get with this unit.

Quality:
Overall, this mosfet is top of the line, one of the best on the market for fire control units. Its build quality is superior, and it is based of the Extreme-Fire mosfets, which means you're looking at the best electrical protection on the market. It uses all Ecowire PTFE wires, which are flexible yet durable, and extremely high quality. Some of the sensors on the unit can be a little delicate, but that comes with the nature of this product, and if installed properly, will function just fine. Definitley worth the money.

The FET is awesome, but the main thing that blew me away is the customer service that backs it up. Blacktalon is very easy to contact, prompt with his responses, and covers all his products with a warranty. I personally had some issues with installing it (due to my own dumbassery), and he was very accommodating and helpful with shipping me replacement parts to get it up and running. He is clearly a guy who wants to better the airsoft community as a whole, and cares more about the customer and the product than the money.

Overall, if you're in the market to take your electrical system to the next level, definitely give BlackTalon Concepts a look, you won't regret it.

Firing video with semi and 2 rd burst (I apologize for my shitty motor)

http://youtu.be/OkYG7TSzDtY
Gilligan
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: BlackTalon Concepts Spectre MOSFET

Postby spazzticsmurff » Fri May 02, 2014 11:52 pm

you have done a pretty good review of the product, i was thinking about putting up a review of this product as well, but im not so good when it comes to typing up a propper review, i do all mine by video.
i have 2 of these units myself. as well as the btc chimera MKII for the v2 gb. they are friking awesome.
i am lucky enough to be a beta tester/dealer for btc so i get to play with the new stuff when it comes out.
the new MKII chimeras for the v3 gb are going to be released soon and testing of the spectre for the TM next gen guns is almost complete.
spazzticsmurff
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Return to Parts and Accessories