Chest Rigs for Beginners

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Postby Jerm_G » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:22 pm

Depending on the model some have attachment points on the back. otherwise I would just use a assault pack with a hydration bladder. I normally run a streamlined camelbak to minimize my profile the best I can.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Variable » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:26 pm

When I'm running a chest rig I either use a Camelback MULE or I stuff a few water bottles into my GP pouch.
Anyways, this thread needs pics.
MAV 2 piece
MAV 2 piece with X back

I never load my MAV with enough weight in airsoft to really need the x-back. But with 6+ AR15 mags, 2 pistol mags, and some water bottles, its heavy enough to benefit from the x-back.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Jerm_G » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Is that a drag handle on the x back?

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Variable » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 pm

Jerm_G wrote:Is that a drag handle on the x back?

Yes it is. Theres also MOLLE back there, but I'm not sure what I'd ever put on it.
Variable

Postby Jerm_G » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:15 am

Eagle Industries LE Active Shooter Chest Rig (CB).

This is mine. I have about a dozen pouches on order for the new plate carrier so allot of the stuff that is on the carrier will be moved to the chest rig. The pouch with the red buckle is an ACOG case that I have turned into a mini blowout kit. It's the lowest profile case I have found that works for my needs so far. See the original post for details. Hands down this rig is the true definition of KISS.

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Chest Rigs for Beginners

Postby MJKramer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:42 am

Jerm_G wrote:Plate carriers and armor vests are designed to work with soft armor and plates. Without these plates and soft armor, your typical carrier or vest will not sit right and properly support the attached gear. Not to mention wearing a plate carrier/ vest without armor makes you look like a dumbass no matter how high speed, low drag you think you are or may be.
this is why I like my Crye Chassis replica. its good for when the role I'm in would require a plate carrier but it comes with padded lining (instead of requiring those phoney plates).

I have one actual "chest rig" from 92 Yankee. mistakenly it gets named "AK rig" because most often when I am using my AK I use that rig.
the main point is: AK74 mags (what I have) fit well in them. so do G3 mags (which I have one of), as well as pretty much any mag you have that goes into a rifle.

biggest advantage is that its not a MOLLE, its a dedicated setup that will always be the setup that it is, the stuff will not move.

Nasty wrote:I think it was designed in mind for TT's weird Kangaroo bladder things.
yes.
Remember, diversity makes America wonderful, so our opinions don't have to match!
MJKramer
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Jerm_G » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:12 am

The kangaroo bladder style carriers are coming more popular now. Almost every gear company I have harassed over the last month has had them in their inventory. Companies are learning the more isn't always better and their customers are looking for ways to reduce weight. We will be seeing allot more of these in the near future.

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rentax » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:17 am

Tactical tailor, makes the Joey Pouch, for the .75L Source Hydro Pouch, and Blackhawk makes a 40oz. side hydration Pouch. Those are the two I know of.
The only real advantage I've found is you are free to mount them in more places because of their size.

With the Source system, the parts are easily and quickly interchangeable, so if you are in a vehicle, you could store water there and just swap out bags quickly when empty, but if you need to leave the vehicle, you are not carrying as much weight in water. Mounting them in places other than your back, makes swapping them out easier too.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Jerm_G » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:57 am

Nasty wrote:Really? The only people I've heard of making them are Tactical Tailor.

What are the advantages of them over a 1 liter Camelbak?

TYR, TAG, BHI, and quite a few others have jumped on the band wagon. The reason is space and weight. The standard H20 bladder is 2.5L to 3L. These new ones are .75 to 1.5Ls. For every Gallon of water equals about 10 lbs. By cutting the load on the vest in half massive weight is reduced. This also better allows the operator to spread load his H2O across his whole spectrum of gear instead of just one place. example 1.5L on 2nd line gear and 3L on 3rd line gear broken down in 1.5L pouches. Allowing him to swap hydro bags as needed with the new quick non-leak disconnects for the lines.

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 pm

Jerm_G wrote:As a side note I would eventually like to see the "post your loadout" section broken down into 1st line, 2nd line, and 3rd line sections with sub sections for chest rigs, plate carriers and vests. This would make streaming through photos much easier to find gear examples. Just my 2 cents.

That's definitely something I can look at. It would be nice to be able to at least tag them with keywords so you could sort the different types of loadouts or filter your search.
Matt

Postby Unconventional » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:31 pm

The EI Universal chest rig (SKD version) and the LE Active Shooter rig and the S.O. Tech Falcon rigs have been our favorites for quite some time. Every time we do any kind of shooting or MIL-SIM, my son is the first one who states "Dad I want to run the chest rig, again" (...proud of him as he is one of the few young guys who doesn't whine to me about wanting the next best PLATE CARRIER...when all the rest yak about plate carriers all of the time...lol!

He likes the comfort of a chest rig and the lighter weight and venting that it provides...so do I.

;)
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

Custom Uniform Mods & Call Sign/Blood Type Patches:
http://unconventionaltactical.wordpress.com
Unconventional
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jerm_G » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm

Nasty wrote:Threads might be easier/more successful.

Jerm, that's actually an interesting idea to me. I carry about 2.5 liters with me in my MAP, and I may experiment with splitting it up and having two smaller bladders in different places.

Basically if I wasn't clear is the extra bladders are being mounted to assault packs. when your 2nd line gear's bladder runs out there is a QD and the base of the bag. Unplug, snag a new one from the pack, plug in and go. If operating from a vehicle the pack would stay with your ride. If on patrol it stays with you but gives you the ability to quickly shed weight just by dropping the bag. For airsoft that means you have 3 extra liters of water back at spawn and only packing about 2 canteens worth of water with you. Just do a quick swap when you have time. Just a quick and defective way of cutting 5 lbs of weight and 5 less pounds of pain at the end of the day.

As for the posting sections, it's going to definitely take some work from Matt and a little imput from the community to make things work. I see this being successful in drawing new participation to the site. I for-see a set up just like we have with the current media postings but somehow integrated into the forum side so people know when new material is being posted. That would allow quick and easy access to the pictures but at the same time the ability to post to a single pic and create a thread rolling that way.
With the current system the population at large doesn't know if something is being commented on so it limits participation.

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Unconventional » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:49 pm

"With the current system the population at large doesn't know if something is being commented on so it limits participation."

+1 to what he said.

And not to get too far off topic but this really clicks with the following...

We're in the same boat...we'd like to see more content that matters than content that doesn't amount to much. Meaning...it would be great to see more practical applications content on gear suggestion, use, why it' used, where it's used, when it' used, who or which unit uses it and what are it's purposes..what is a smart way to pack and wear a recon pack or other type of pack...etc..etc...and what gear is used per each situation or environment. Imagine how cool it would be for the newer folks and the experienced folks, as well, to have guideline and clearly defined gear info pages to just look up at any given time.

It would also be great to see simplified "how-to" topics/pages regarding the way each military or other type of tactical unit operates in a combat environment...kind of like an on-line tutorial for those that want to get more serious about how things actually work in a combat, recon and other operational environments, but keeping it tamed down a bit to air-soft MIL-SIM relevancy since the artificial air-soft MIL-SIM environment can't or doesn't incorporate many parts real world ops..etc. Being able to log on and go right to how a Ranger unit operates when a person has a question about how to do something, would be fantastic and very helpful for those who want to know how to do things and do them accurately. This would be great also, for those who can't always physically get out to training events or most MIL-SIm events, for that matter.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson

Custom Uniform Mods & Call Sign/Blood Type Patches:
http://unconventionaltactical.wordpress.com
Unconventional
Ranger
Ranger

Postby VogonFord » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 am

Wow, seriously, no Chicom love? The quintessential chest rig, perfect for anyone who loves their AK and easily thrown over anything else and can be purchased for dirt bloody cheap? If we're talking something a beginner can really come to love, it's the Chicom.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby Kilo » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:59 am

VogonFord wrote:Wow, seriously, no Chicom love? The quintessential chest rig, perfect for anyone who loves their AK and easily thrown over anything else and can be purchased for dirt bloody cheap? If we're talking something a beginner can really come to love, it's the Chicom.

Indeed, I just purchased one and i love it...and for only 12 bucks?
Kilo
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Tactical Equipment