The Beginners' Guide to Plate Carriers

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Re: The Beginners' Guide to Plate Carriers

Postby ra5putin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:48 am

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:You shouldn't carry a lot of medical stuff on you, so what you do carry should easily fit in a pouch that you can mount somewhere accessible or mount on your belt.

Well until I have an IFAK i will hold everything I bought (just today btw) in my MAP's smaller pocket, and the MAP I will carry not strapped to my vest. That's the best I can do for accesibility before I can afford an IFAK.

Jerm_G - I have to say you helped me to some degree. I will consider running a simple gauze-gloves-bandage mini-kit in one of my pockets, but will at the same time stick to having all of the other stuff as accessible as possible. At the beginning of May I'm going for a 3-day event with over 350 people there. I think that's just enough ofr a reason to have at least a few bandages and gauzes at reach at all times. Btw - sick gear.

I may post some pics of my PC in a short time if anyone is interested :P It's still WIP of course.
ra5putin
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: The Beginners' Guide to Plate Carriers

Postby Jerm_G » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:09 pm

For those wondering, this method of minimal immediate wound care is not something I have pulled out of my a$$ but come upon by others much more knowledgeable than I am. The concept is that if you are in a situation where you are involved in a (real) gun fight and are wounded, you have two issues that will form. An injury so debilitating that you are completely taken out of the fight and requires immediate self/buddy aid or an injury that still allows you to continue the fight until you can give self/buddy aid. The second one is not a big issue as it means you have time to take care of the problem, The first is the real issue. The injury will be of the nature that you can help fix on your own such as an extremity wound or a wound that you cannot treat on your own such as a major head, abdominal or chest wound. The concept is that 99% of the time, if it is a wound that you, yourself can fix, it will require one or a combination of a TQ, compression bandage or quick-clot. So this is the likely gear that you will need for self-treatment and easy access too. Everything else can wait or will be used with the help of a buddy. This is by far not the only correct answer or the only way of doing things. It’s just one concept of many and the one I go by. Also, this method has a second plus for me. I can snatch the pocket kit and stick it in just about any pants cargo pocket and use the same medical kit in my normal street clothes and I would be carrying the most important parts of an IFAC with me at all times.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Previous

Return to Tactical Equipment