The Beginners' Guide to Plate Carriers

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

The Beginners' Guide to Plate Carriers

Postby Jerm_G » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:01 am

The Beginners’ Guide to Plate Carriers

Lets’ be honest, it was only a matter of time before I got to this one. Except this time with pictures. Time to discuss the newest and most popular item to hit the armed forces. Once only regulated to those who operated outside of normal military budget channels, plate carriers were only worn by a select few units. Around 2006 however that started to change thanks to the United States Marine Corps. Shortly after the adoption of the USMC’s IOTV, complaints flooded the War Lab and the Commandant’s own ears from Marines wanting a lighter and more a breathable vest.

Progress was slow but in 2008 the new incoming Commandant decided to make swift changes by personally ordering 500,000 Eagle Industries Plate Carriers in coyote brown. Immediate fielding began with all troops heading to Afghanistan. At about the same time the Army started to see the light and figured out that by reducing the unneeded soft armor and cordura, they too could cut weight. The Army would take a little while longer to select a new system and start fielding though.

Now I know what you are thinking. You’re saying to yourself, “this is an interesting story but what the hell does this have to do with airsoft?” Relax sugar tits I’m getting there! Well the problem with the IOTV was not just weight but that the vest trapped heat against the body and drastically aided in heat casualties. Hauling your butt around wearing almost 100 lbs of gear and climbing mountains almost as tall as Mt Hood in 120 degree heat would just about kill the most physically fit man. But our warriors had to still fight when they got up there and then hike all the way back down. It didn’t help that the vest was trapping in the body heat so what was 120 degrees now felt closer to 150 degrees. So as with the old adage ounces equals pounds and pounds equals pain, pounds had to go to make the trip less painful. Not to mention find ways of getting increased airflow in the vest.

Special Forces units all ready figured this one out…. In about 2002. The solution was to lower the protection against fragmentary rounds and keep the stuff that really mattered, the SAPI plates. So they ordered vests built primarily with just enough material to cover the plates. In enters the plate carrier. A load hauling system with integrated rifle plates for protection and none of the soft armor. This process cut the base weight of the carrier by 1/3 of the standard base weight of the current issued vest. In short a sacrifice of protection for comfort.

Why Would I Want a Plate Carrier for Airsoft?

Great question! If you answer yes to a majority of the following questions, this may be the option for you.

Do you participate in Mil-sim games where a hit to a ballistic plate saves you?

Is weight a major issue for you?

Do you want a lower level of protection for a higher level of comfort?

Ok so you figured out that this may be the kit for you so now what? How do go about picking the right carrier or know which one to get?

Picking the Right PC for You.

First just like with the chest rig you have to find out what you need to carry with you. This decides just how much MOLLE you need. So just like with the chest rig get everything you take with you on the field and toss it in a big pile. From there sort your stuff into the “I need it now” and the “I can take a minute” piles. Remember just like with the chest rig it’s the “I need it now” pile that we are concerned with at the moment. This pile will determine if you need a carrier with a cummerbund and how much front webbing you need. Once you figure that out, it’s time to go shopping.

As a side note here, it is smart to keep a few things reachable with both hands. Your magazines, a cutting tool and your CAT. IFACs can also go here but it’s an argumentative debate. One side is that you don’t need self access to this kit because if your hurt bad enough just use the CAT and shut off the leak at the source. If you are not hurt that bad then keep fighting till someone can assist you. The other side believes that you should be able to patch yourself up as needed. From personal and professional experience I find myself in the first group. Most major injuries can be stopped with the CAT. However if it cant then I find that you have enough time to get the carrier off and get to your kit or you need more help than you are able to provide yourself.

Notable Plate Carriers.

Ultra Light Weight

Crye Precision JPC

One of the slimmest and most light weight carrier on the market today, this is one you can’t go wrong with. Down side you will be giving up places for pouches in trade for that ability. If you like to run light and hard this may be the one for you.

Most Integrated

Mayflower Assault Pate Carrier

The Mayflower APC is one hell of a beast well constructed and littered with more than enough MOLLE webbing then you need, this kit rocks. But that is not what makes this piece of gear special. The ability to plug in a chest rig right into the vest without having any annoying shoulder straps in the way is just smart engineering. This means that stepping up to that next level of protection doesn’t mean shifting all your gear to a new rig. Just take it with you and plug on in. It’s as easy as counting to four.

Most Concealable

SKD PIG Brigandine Plate Carrier

All though in its pre-production phase, it is for sale in limited quantities to buyers. The ability to make your plates disappear comes with a down side though. No MOLLE and no place to stick your quick access items. This works great with those that have chest rigs that need that extra boost with armor.

As with the chest rigs there is many more out there. Some even better than what’s listed here. The biggest thing you can do is shop around and see what’s out there for yourself. The general rule is you get what you pay for. China Man makes some ok knock offs for a decent price. But you lose solid quality control, MOLLE webbing constantly sewn to spec and centered on the gear, as well as giving a hand up to those American owned and operated businesses. The big step is deciding what works for you.

Bellow is my current plate carrier, an EI PC with detached cummerbund and how its set up. This is changing and as of this posting I am waiting on about a dozen pouches to arrive. I will update this when they do show and get installed. Be advised this is my work rig so some things may seem out of place for airsoft. As it sits it weighs in at 30lbs. The front pouches are from DBT with the exception of the pistol mag pouch and the admin pouch. The back pouches are from BHI, EI and SO-Tech. The shoulder pads are from First Spear.

Whole PC

Front

Back

Contents of Back Pouches.

I run an IFAC and an extended trauma kit so that is why there is a lot of first aid stuff.

Found on front panel.

2 10 round 1911 magazines, 2 8 round 1911 magazines, 3 30 round PMags, EMT Sheers, CAT, 120 lums flashlight, Benchmade strap cutter.

What You Can’t See: Black map pen, 9 line medivac card, Map, 2 Large industrial zip ties, official licenses and IDs, and front and back lvl 4 standalone SAPI plates.

Found on back panel. From left to right:

Shemagh, surefire ear plugs, CR123 batts, Gerber multi tool, slip 2000 EWL, electric tape, needle resistant gloves, chem lights, red lens headlamp, GPS, face paint with mirror, SAM Splint, 3 cravats, Kerlix, abdominal dressing, 2 hemorrhage control bandages, emergency blanket, nasal airway tube, surgical gloves, blister ointment, decompression needle, spare CAT, standard band-aids, medical tape, and duct Tape. Missing from picture: Red permanent marker, AA batteries, AAA batteries, pack of 50 rubber bands, 200 ft 550 cord, IR strobe, 10 large black industrial zip ties, Oakley gloves, 3 IR chem lights, compass.

Go forth, ask questions and post your gear.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby ogrejager » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:55 am

Jer,
You don't find having shells, or even just shell loops, on your shoulder straps on your primary shoulder in the way?

I find putting things on my primary shoulder gets in the way of snap shooting.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Jewish Ninja » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:34 am

The "shell loops" are for comms, water hose, etc, and are part of the shoulder pad IIRC. Though you could remove them and put the HSGI pads in place of them to cut down on the size.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Jerm_G » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:50 am

The shoulder pads are not an issue for me and stay well away from my stock. I use an 3 gun shooting method for running carbines and shotguns and have been using it for years. This method places the stock much lower and towards the center line of the chest. From there the shooter comes down on top of the rifle, rolling their shoulders forward. This creates an abutment for the rifle to recoil much like placing the rifle against a wall. Recoil is kept liner and reduces muzzle rise.

Me: Proper 3 gun method. FYI: Vest is MSA SOHPC.

If I utilized the standard shooting method the stock would sit high in the shoulder pocket. Great in some cases, but lacks recoil control in short range rapid fire drills. The reason for this is because the bore of the weapon is placed over the shoulder. When fired the Shoulder pocket acts as a pivot point and the muzzle will raise up. Not so bad firing controlled single rounds but in rapid strings, the shooter will have a more difficult time staying on target. This method is being drummed out by almost every tier 1 instructor and replaced with the 3 gun method.

Not me: Shoulder pocket method.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Variable » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:55 pm

More Eagle Plate Carrier Goodness.
KISS, don't carry more stuff than I need
Variable

Team: APST

Re: The Beginners' Guide to Plate Carriers

Postby ra5putin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Sorry for posting in such an old thread, but I have an important matter. How do you do it so that your MAP (fuuull of stuff by the way) doesn't shift your plate carrier to the back? I've recently started to run a PC and when I had some water and other stuff in my MAP the whole PC was shifted to the back which not only looked crappy but it was uncomfortable as well. Thanks in advance
ra5putin
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Postby Jerm_G » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm

People have different methods for not casuing a massive shift in weight to the rear. For me, I just have a budy ensure that the vest is tightened down enough to minimize shift in weight. For the normal infantryman who is not playing airsoft but doing the real deal, the weight of magazines, radios, and other equipment would balance out that weight. Our problem in airsoft is that for most of us, the weight of a average airsoft magazine weighs fractions of that of a magazine that is loaded with real ammo. So in there are really two options. Sinch down your carrier to the point where it is still comforable but tight to the chest or use a weight that balances out the load. In the last option, you will have to be creative to meet your needs.

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby McNair » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:00 pm

I found in my experience that being fat helps keep he carrier in place in the front.
McNair

Postby Payback » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:49 pm

McNair wrote:I found in my experience that being fat helps keep he carrier in place in the front.

Yes, me too.

Solution, eat taco's. Plate carrier is now counter balanced.
AKA: rbm33

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty
Payback
Ranger
Ranger

Team: A.S.T.D.

Postby Jewish Ninja » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 am

Dummy plates and a properly adjusted cummerbund is what keeps my PC from shifting around. I would put what you can on your cummerbund to reduce the weight on your back though.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby ra5putin » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:12 am

Oh right, it's me again :P

I've only recently noticed something. You carry a lot of medical stuff in your MAP and IFAK. I've decided that, for the sole purpose of safety, I will run a simple "medical" kit for my airsoft team. I've been thinking long and extensively and came to the conclusion that it will be best to put my stuff like gauze and bandages in the smaller MAP pouch just as you did. But I noticed that you have your MAP strapped to your PC. How do you reach all your medical gear? Do you have a buddy that takes out the things you need? Because I decided to take the MAP off the vest and carry it on the usual backpack straps for a quick access to the medical stuff in case of emergency. How did you solve it? I'm waiting for a response :)
ra5putin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby McNair » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 am

He also mentioned that that is his kit for work, not airsoft stuff.
And I'm sure he's had a bit of medical training.
McNair

Postby McNair » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:48 am

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:Mind pointing out where he said that?

Because all I'm seeing is this;
ra5putin wrote:I will run a simple "medical" kit for my airsoft team.

I wasn't responding to you.
McNair

Postby Jerm_G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Ill bust out photos of my new kit some time soon. I dont even have that carrier anymore. My gear is always a work in progress as I am never totally happy with what I have. As for medical kit, I carry two lines of kit. One is a trauma kit that consists of a TQ, Quick-clot gause, and an compression bandage in a ziploc bag that goes in my left cargo pocket. A second TQ goes in my upper left sholder pocket and then I carry an extended medical kit for issues that can be solved when time is available. The extended kit is used when it is exceptable to doff my gear and conduct extended care without imediate threat of loss of life or available for others who are medically trained to use if needed. For those who were at the last BSP event, they have seen my new system. As to the advanced medical training, I am no EMT, but I have been professionally trained to do just about everything up to an EMT-2 would do in the last 10 years and have practically applied it in the real world more times than I care to remember with positive results. These are injuries that go above and beyond gun shot wounds.... I dont carry medical kit that I would not be comfortable in court stating that I have been trained on at one point or another to use if needed.

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jerm_G » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 pm

New kit:

Crye JPC
Small radio pouch
Murs radio (wouxun)
Eagle Ind charge pouch (holds water bladder or other needed kit) (mission depending)

Mich 2001 Helmet
Ops-core H-Nape
Ops-core ARC Rails
Ops Core NVG mount
First Spear Helmet cover
Prinston Tech Remix Pro MLPS
S&S precission V-lite IR/Red strobe. (depends on needs)
MS2000 IR/vis Strobe (not pictured)
Team Wendy Epic Helmet pad system

Crye Low Profile Belt
HSGI Tacos, Combo x2
HSGI Taco, Pistol x1
Eagle LG Pouch (medical)
PMAG 30s x2
Pistol mags x2
Surefire Executive E2 light

LVL 3A PACA Concealable Vest (mission dictated)

Base line gear

Clothing (mission depending)
Blow out kit (combat gauze, pressure bandage, gloves)
Shooters gloves (Oakley Pilots)
G-Code holster on high ride thigh rig (or kydex belt rig not pictured)
Safety leash
Riggers belt (not pictured)
TQ x2 (one right sholder, one left)
small tac folding knife in pocket
Gerber multi tool (not pictured)

Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment