Loadout Assistance

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Loadout Assistance

Postby marshall.c3media » Fri May 15, 2015 11:12 pm

Hello! I'm hoping I am in the correct section of the forums for this because I have varying questions (all of which regard my ladout), and if not I apologize.
Anyway, My understanding of a DMR role is having the ability to be effective almost anywhere on the field. My ideal position is middle to front (which is the role I played in paintball), but I could hang in the back if I was needed there. I come from paintball (speed ball to be specific) and obviously engagements are over shorter distances in that type of play. My equipment that I am looking into getting will be the Krytac SPR and a WE M9 CQB master. As far as optics I was looking into a red dot with a flip to side magnifier. Also throwing in about 4-6 midcaps and 2 hicaps for when things get hairy. Should I look into a tighter bore barrel or anything like that? Help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Also concerning vests and pouches I am open to suggestions!
marshall.c3media
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Loadout Assistance

Postby Cyclops » Sat May 16, 2015 12:39 am

Go to a game to see what others are wearing as for vest and stuff. If you were into speed ball in paintball then stick to a AEG. Some AEGs are even out ranging some of the DMR I have seen. Any ways before going into any other position have your first set up as a front line guy (Regular M4 or something) and then branch out to other areas. Get a feel of the game first (A few games) then decide if you want a DMR. Also you will see a lot of the guys using hi caps rather then mid caps. Some fire fights get pretty crazy. You want to change mags every minute or so?
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby marshall.c3media » Sat May 16, 2015 1:07 am

Cyclops wrote:Go to a game to see what others are wearing as for vest and stuff. If you were into speed ball in paintball then stick to a AEG. Some AEGs are even out ranging some of the DMR I have seen. Any ways before going into any other position have your first set up as a front line guy (Regular M4 or something) and then branch out to other areas. Get a feel of the game first (A few games) then decide if you want a DMR. Also you will see a lot of the guys using hi caps rather then mid caps. Some fire fights get pretty crazy. You want to change mags every minute or so?

Yeah I see what you are saying. I'm not getting any serious upgrades (aside from the red dot and flip to side) any time soon. I loved the Krytac SPR when I shot it and it was just amazing. I also did play "milsim" paintball a bit and played from a distance but again I was also able to be on the frontlines ( what I'm getting at is that I'm pretty sure I'll like the DMR role). I assumed midcaps were what DMR people used? I figured it was because of the lack of rattling bb's in the resivor. I guess I'm wrong. Normally at the beginning of a game I'll hang out in back and assess situations from a distance, do some shooting here and there and once it gets a little heavier I find a place closer up that I'm needed and I'll run in there.
marshall.c3media
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Sat May 16, 2015 1:45 am

The one-eyed monster is right, don't get locked into a "role" just yet, go play first.
Thank you for coming to airsoft from paintball, and not dragging your hose with you.
You probably don't need a tightbore in it, those are scary enough.

But a mix of mags is a good thing, and if you're gonna do mil-sim, you'll need em.
And changing mags all tacticool is super sexy! (only when you do it right, lol)

Welcome
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby marshall.c3media » Sat May 16, 2015 3:43 am

Ah! I appreciate the help! Thanks for coming from paintball? I don't get it I guess, haha. Also while I'm at it. Is $100 going to get me a decent pistol? I'm looking at a WE M9. Evike carries them and to the best of my knowledge if it's an airsoft site and 95% of the inventory is at "competitive" level then it should be at least usable. (No I'm not blind, I am aware that some big retailers also stock M16 springers and the like)
marshall.c3media
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Sat May 16, 2015 4:30 am

One of us..One of us...
Paintball sucks, airsoft sucks a lot less.
Always glad to have another convert.

That pistol is fine.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby ogrejager » Sat May 16, 2015 9:57 am

I'll be the voice of dissension here. Save your money on the pistol for now. Sure sidearms are cool. Some guys even use them occasionally. Well, then there's Rentax. Get your primary gear squared away and then add a sidearm when you can. I've quit bothering to carry mine, actually.

DMR role. I think you're misinterpreting them. DMR's trade full auto for an extra few feet of range. If you're used to front-line speedball play, get yourself a regular AEG and enjoy the full auto hosefest. If you find yourself plinking a lot and wishing your AEG had that extra range, then it's time for a DMR.

In other words, what Cyclops said--play the friggin' game a few times, see what feels right. I recently switched my primary to a SAW and wish I would have done it years ago. Freakin' fun as hell. I knew to switch, though, because I'd played for years....

So now you've had three monsters give you pretty much the same advice--an ogre, a cyclops, and a clown.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Steve » Sat May 16, 2015 10:01 am

If you are sticking to mainly outdoor play, the $100 you were going to spend on the pistol might be better spent on your optic and / or a bipod. Pistols in the great outdoors don't get used much, and even in indoor games get used mainly to screw around with when you are bored with running your primary. Well, and to fight to someplace where you can unf**k your primary when it quits.

Fair warning: It has been a few years since I have played outdoors, and even longer since I've done DMR work (long enough that we were Squad Designated Marksmen rather than DMs, and my "DMR" was an accuratized M-4 with an ACOG, bipod and suppressor with heavier ammo). So, the community understanding of what a DM does today may have shifted from what I believe the role of the DM to be. In the hoary ancient days, the job of the SDM was to play guardian angel rather than door-kicker. We moved out with the rest of the squad until one of two things happened: 1) If we took fire, we moved to a stable shooting position and engaged the enemy with accurate fire at range while the rest of the element closed with and destroyed the enemy or 2) when we reached our objective, the SDM sought elevation and clear field of fire to provide intel on the target and engage threats while the rest of the element moved in and secured the objective.

Looking at the role as posited above, I'd say that the key priorities would be:
0) Decent eye protection. And whatever face protection you want / need / like.
1) Get an accurate primary.
2) Pick up a decent pair of boots. Although, arguably, this could be priority one if you can borrow an AEG from somebody.
3) Get a decent VARIABLE magnification optic. Failing that, get a 4x or lower fixed optic. Variable is very good, since you can see trouble coming and communicate it to your team before you are in the engagement envelope, but can also turn it down to a useful magnification for engaging threats. I ran a $50 Tasco 3-9x scope for a couple of years and it worked well enough that I rarely swapped it out for the ACOG.
4) Gloves, camo uniform(s) of choice.
5) Spare mags and batteries as needed.
6) Load carriage equipment (plate carrier / chest rig / battle belt).
7) Hydration pack / camelback / Nalgene bottles / canteens.
8) Second primary for when the first one quits. Bonus points if it uses same mags / batteries and other primary.
9) Comms gear.
10) Grenade launcher / grenades / mines / RPG.
11) New Car.
12) Girlfriend / prostitute / Realdoll.
13) Steak dinner for everyone you know.
14) A secondary (pistol) that ISN'T an M9 derivative or made by WE.
15) Herpes.
16) An M9.
17) Anything made by WE.

Specific to that pistol (and leaving aside that I, personally, loathe both WE and the M9 platform), the rail on it is outside the dimensions of the actual Beretta 92FS / M9. So, it may not fit into some of the more high-speed hard-shell holsters (like the Blackhawk Serpa series), and some soft-sided holsters tend to drop the mags out of M9s. If you care about being able to carry in a hard-shelled holster, consider anything Glock, HK USP / USP compact, HK45, or SIG P220, P226.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Cyclops » Sat May 16, 2015 10:16 am

marshall.c3media wrote:(No I'm not blind, I am aware that some big retailers also stock M16 springers and the like)

Vision impaired sounds better.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Shortbu » Sat May 16, 2015 11:47 am

Cyclops wrote:
marshall.c3media wrote:(No I'm not blind, I am aware that some big retailers also stock M16 springers and the like)

Vision impaired sounds better.

Blind sounds better, PC is for pussies. :)
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Shortbu » Sat May 16, 2015 11:54 am

I agree with the previous posts regarding pistols. They rarely get used for outdoor play. A few will sling their primary and use the pistol when entering a building, but for the most part, they're just added weight and expense. Money better spent on a descent optic.
If you're dead set on the pistol, the KWA pistols are very solid performers. Good support from the company, and easy to get rellacement parts, or upgrades for. The Elite Force Co2 1911's are also solid and relatively inexpensive ($120ish).
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Steve » Sat May 16, 2015 3:58 pm

For the purposes of Airsoft, just about anything you do with a pistol, you can do better with a properly employed carbine. The exceptions are:
Working with a riot shield
Searching prisoners
Firing from within vehicles
When employing mechanical breaching devices
When transporting a casualty on a litter

Not applicable to Airsoft:
Shooting through walls
Blind-firing around corners
Working a rope assault
CQC (a specialized subset of CQB in which you use whatever comes to hand to beat the s**t out of the other guy as efficiently as possible). This point is negotiable, in that a muzzle check to the xyphoid process or sternal notch rapidly encourages compliance better in my opinion than pistol-whipping someone in the face. And bayonets, because a knife on a stick beats a knife in the hand. But, for the sake of argument, I accept that a pistol may be seen as a better all-around a**-whupping tool than a rifle.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby T-Time » Sat May 16, 2015 6:04 pm

I agree with everyone else. But I would recommend a Co2 pistol over Green Gas.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Airsoft

Postby Rentax » Sat May 16, 2015 9:10 pm

T-Time wrote:I agree with everyone else. But I would recommend a Co2 pistol over Green Gas.

Many good points, until this last one about CO2... CO2 pistols are more finicky to temperature. This means in the winter the seals will freeze up and the pistol will dump your gas and it will be a useless paper weight and in the summer the pistol may shoot over the FPS limit of the field your at... Why do you think CO2 pistols are always required to chrono, where as Green gas pistols almost never have to chrono? Although CO2 are built to take a higher pressure gas, this doesn't mean that companies like KWA and TM don't make a good product that will last a long time.

All that being said I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. Running a pistol as a secondary adds a lot of weight to your load out and begins to get costly when you realize you want two or three extra mags to make it worth while, then a holster, then mag pouches, then the green gas or propane to use it, then an accessory like a light or.... I think you get my point. All of this to have something that will hang at your side that you might use as a back up plan in a situation that, if you are running with a unit or a team, you really shouldn't be getting yourself into in the first place.

Steve is correct about the DM role. (Just so you know DMR, Designated Marksman Rifle is the gun itself and DM, Designated Marksman is the person wielding the rifle) The role is a squad level marksman, usually with a longer M4 variant or a specialized rifle, usually it shoots semi auto only, but has longer range than a regular M4. The role is for over watch and cover fire, selecting specific targets and eliminating them, rather than being in the thick of it and dropping bodies indiscriminately.
The way the DMR works in airsoft is at some events, primarily milsim, the rifle has full auto disabled and the DMR FPS limit is higher than that of the regular rifle. This in theory allows the DM to reach out and touch those very special souls he has selected, that are further away than a standard M4 users would be able to reach. (however, this plays a lot onto internal upgrades, and how much you are willing to spend)

Coming from paintball, my suggestion is going to be one you have heard here several times, go out and play before making the leap. There are few companies that are doing gun rentals around the Portland area, or find someone who may be willing to let you borrow a gun for the day. It sounds to me that if you rolled middle/front in paintball, being stuck with a long rifle in the back isn't the speed you are looking for. My suggestion is start with a standard M4, if you decide to go longer in the future, it's the cost of an inner and outer barrel, but if you step into a DMR to start with you'll be looking at some major changes if you want to go with something different in the future.

If you are looking to go milsim and you want to get the most bang for your buck, dump the high caps, most milsim events wont let you use them anyway. Also if you are needing to use that much ammo on an M4 platform then you are probably doing something wrong or are not working with your team members the way you should be. As for using them when your not at a milsim event, there's a saying that goes "Train like you fight, fight like you train. If you get used to using high caps then you are not getting used to mag changes and when you hit a milsim event that's going to slow you down.

When it comes to gear, that's a hard question. Steering people one way or another usually breaks down into a conversation about what gear is good and what gear is good enough. Now it's my opinion that each operator needs to make the decision on their own what is going to work for them, but I will suggest buying MOLLE product. It's going to be versatile and it will be able to adapt with you as you adapt your play style, or your role on the field.
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby marshall.c3media » Sat May 16, 2015 9:47 pm

ogrejager wrote:I'll be the voice of dissension here. Save your money on the pistol for now. Sure sidearms are cool. Some guys even use them occasionally. Well, then there's Rentax. Get your primary gear squared away and then add a sidearm when you can. I've quit bothering to carry mine, actually.

DMR role. I think you're misinterpreting them. DMR's trade full auto for an extra few feet of range. If you're used to front-line speedball play, get yourself a regular AEG and enjoy the full auto hosefest. If you find yourself plinking a lot and wishing your AEG had that extra range, then it's time for a DMR.

In other words, what Cyclops said--play the friggin' game a few times, see what feels right. I recently switched my primary to a SAW and wish I would have done it years ago. Freakin' fun as hell. I knew to switch, though, because I'd played for years....

So now you've had three monsters give you pretty much the same advice--an ogre, a cyclops, and a clown.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Also I appreciate the DMR explanation. I played with a pure semi gun in PB. Last I played airsoft I found myself using semi from distances and full at mid to close range (as I would assume alot of people do?)
I appreciate your advice on the sidearm, My situation kind of sucks as I am looking for my airsoft gear as well as film props :p. I had a few compromises before with like "Oh that KWA M4 looks cool!, but I'd like to play with something different even though in the film it'd look badass!" With the Krytac SPR I found a dream prop and primary weapon! However I keep hearing a mix between "Krytac sucks" and then I hear "OMG only $350? WTF it's amazing." I take Airsoft GI and evike reviews with a grain of salt because they are also retailers, but I also trust them a lot, idk it's strange :p
marshall.c3media
Recruit
Recruit

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment