Urban/Black Style Clothing

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

Urban/Black Style Clothing

Postby Ripjaw » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:23 pm

So after looking online, I dont see many people running black as their camo, it's all either Multicam or nasty morphs of it. :P

Here's the type of load out I'm trying to do. I'm basing this as my CQB gear.

-Black tac gear
-Black boots
-Black/Urban tac pants
-Urban BDU shirt
-Black FAST helmet

Pretty much all black, I might add some white and black with patches and/or shemagh.

I'm not basing it off anything, I've just noticed black and other dark hex style clothing works pretty well in CQB situations, if ya'll can give me your opinion on this centered load out it would be greatly appreciated. ;)
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Urban/Black Style Clothing

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:55 am

Go with something lighter, black blobs running around in the dark are easy to see.
Anything works better than black.

Check out Wolf Gray, Ranger Green, even Flat Dark Earth/also known as tan if your buying nylon from some companies like Condor. You can find clothing and rigs/battle gear in those colors, and they'll cost you less than fancy camo prints. (and IMHO work better anyway)
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Ripjaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 am

ClownBaby wrote:Go with something lighter, black blobs running around in the dark are easy to see.
Anything works better than black.

Check out Wolf Gray, Ranger Green, even Flat Dark Earth/also known as tan if your buying nylon from some companies like Condor. You can find clothing and rigs/battle gear in those colors, and they'll cost you less than fancy camo prints. (and IMHO work better anyway)

What about a urban style color? Like the Navy BDUs but in grey and black? I was looking at like a grey/black contrast but it's hard finding a grey color scheme for clothing.
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nark » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:35 am

TRU-Spec has Multicam Black in stock. Are you running black to be different or cause you're gonna play at night/in dark areas?
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ripjaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 am

Nark wrote:Image

TRU-Spec has Multicam Black in stock. Are you running black to be different or cause you're gonna play at night/in dark areas?

WOW Nark that's a great color scheme. I was planning on doing it because of the lowlight and obstacles at OAA and Tac-Ops. I figured it would be a great plus for TacOps as the arena is dimly lit, and will provide some decent contrast to the walls for OAA.

I really like the tan/black style but I'm not sure if it would be very practical, I don't have a lot of experience in the right colors for certain situations. But I'm using this setup strictly for CQB, not for the field.

I'll have to look at SWAT teams and see what type of camo they run.

I found a urban digital type camo on Airsoftgi http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?products_id=17217
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ogrejager » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:22 am

Ripjaw wrote:I'll have to look at SWAT teams and see what type of camo they run.

Do realize that SWAT and the like don't really run camo for reasons of stealth. The majority of their jobs are high risk warrants anymore and they are basically smash'n'grabs.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Ripjaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:26 am

ogrejager wrote:
Ripjaw wrote:I'll have to look at SWAT teams and see what type of camo they run.

Do realize that SWAT and the like don't really run camo for reasons of stealth. The majority of their jobs are high risk warrants anymore and they are basically smash'n'grabs.

What type of agency would you recommend I look at for a more CQB style camo scheme?

EDIT

I found a darker color tan or dark brown color that the FBI HRT uses
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nark » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:04 am

When some guys in CAG and I ran our MOUT exercises we wore navy jumpsuits. Black is an authoritative color but there's seldom any times that it will be pure black in those arenas. We could have an entire thread debating black vs. OD/navy blue tactical wear. I'll let someone infinitely smarter than me point out the advantages and disadvantages of various tactical patterns and colors.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Ripjaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:10 am

Nark wrote:When some guys in CAG and I ran our MOUT exercises we wore navy jumpsuits. Black is an authoritative color but there's seldom any times that it will be pure black in those arenas. We could have an entire thread debating black vs. OD/navy blue tactical wear. I'll let someone infinitely smarter than me point out the advantages and disadvantages of various tactical patterns and colors.

So, from a MilSim perspective Navy/black and Tan/Grey would be a good setup during CQB play?
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:02 pm

:banghead: I'm turning into the grumpy old man again.

Dude, let me explain it the easiest way I can: BLACK SUCKS! DARK BLUE AIN'T MUCH BETTER. (plus getting dark blue tac gear can be challenging)

Ok, tonight as it's getting dark outside, (this will be easier/better for you to see, if you have an assistant or two)
Have somebody dress up in black, have them walk around the yard, maybe do some light hiding, some shadowing.
You can repeat this process with dark blue, and more so something lighter, like the ones that I suggested, or something like that.

The picture that you posted of possibly FBI HRT operatiors, is a perfect example of that color pattern, in the sense that honestly I can't tell you what color that is? I'm pretty sure its Ranger Green, could be grey, could be coyote, who knows? That's the point!

Solid color clothing in gear can work just as well as camo print. Don't believe me? Ask those FBI dudes.

Also, unlike in the movies, OG Ninjas wore something other than black, except for ceremonial purposes, or intimidation smash and grab style missions like ogre said. typically they would wear dark brown, light grey similar to foliage green, even maroon red, because red turns to dark at night. Or homemade camo patterns, typically tan or grey based.

And unfortunately, at least for me the multicam black is too dark.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Ripjaw » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:08 pm

ClownBaby wrote::banghead: I'm turning into the grumpy old man again.

Dude, let me explain it the easiest way I can: BLACK SUCKS! DARK BLUE AIN'T MUCH BETTER. (plus getting dark blue tac gear can be challenging)

Ok, tonight as it's getting dark outside, (this will be easier/better for you to see, if you have an assistant or two)
Have somebody dress up in black, have them walk around the yard, maybe do some light hiding, some shadowing.
You can repeat this process with dark blue, and more so something lighter, like the ones that I suggested, or something like that.

The picture that you posted of possibly FBI HRT operatiors, is a perfect example of that color pattern, in the sense that honestly I can't tell you what color that is? I'm pretty sure its Ranger Green, could be grey, could be coyote, who knows? That's the point!

Solid color clothing in gear can work just as well as camo print. Don't believe me? Ask those FBI dudes.

Also, unlike in the movies, OG Ninjas wore something other than black, except for ceremonial purposes, or intimidation smash and grab style missions like ogre said. typically they would wear dark brown, light grey similar to foliage green, even maroon red, because red turns to dark at night. Or homemade camo patterns, typically tan or grey based.

And unfortunately, at least for me the multicam black is too dark.

Okay thanks for the info, I'm just going to do a Tan/Ranger Green setup.
Ripjaw
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:21 pm

You know what works really well at night? The same cameo that works IN THAT AREA in the daytime.

Back in the late 80's / early 90's, a bunch of folks were all about the white / black / grey Urban Cano pattern. It really didn't work to hide people, and that really wasn't the point of it. Put a couple of dozen shooters in it, and it looks intimidating.

I've had really good results playing indoor in A-TACS AU. Because it matches plywood, mostly. That being said, as above, go to where you intend to use it, turn on all the lights, and pick a camo or solid color palette that matches. High-visibility or low-light, chances are that the uniform you wear will darken as light levels drop. The only real concern is that in low-light conditions your targets will be better able to pick out white / black / shades of grey thanks to the eyes using more of the rods than the cones in lower light. Whenever possible, skip whites and blacks.

Storm Grey (or whatever the producers call their flavor) seems to be enjoying pretty decent support for uniforms and tactical gear at present. Tan / Coyote Tan / Coyote Brown / Sand / Khaki will always be around, but matching shades will likely to remain a phony pony. Ranger Green / Sage / OD, same situation.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby ogrejager » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:26 pm

Yeah, so the take home from this is that cops aren't trying to hide. They generally want everybody to know they're there and to be so freaking intimidating that you freeze up and don't resist. That's why the black or even the camo tac gear. It makes them look scary enough that it takes you a second to react.

That's why they scream, "POLICE! POLICE! NOBODY MOVE!" and shit like that. (Yes, I know, they really don't say police--they name their agency)

ogrejager

Postby Jewish Ninja » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:07 pm

ogrejager wrote:Yeah, so the take home from this is that cops aren't trying to hide. They generally want everybody to know they're there and to be so freaking intimidating that you freeze up and don't resist. That's why the black or even the camo tac gear. It makes them look scary enough that it takes you a second to react.

That's why they scream, "POLICE! POLICE! NOBODY MOVE!" and shit like that. (Yes, I know, they really don't say police--they name their agency)

Also depends on the budget of the department. My cousin's SWAT team all wore surplus M81 cammies since it was a lot cheaper. Saves them money when they rip them, or get all colorful from sim rounds.

There is nothing wrong with black gear if that's the look you like. Just realize there is not advantage gained wearing black over another color.

Going with green/tan is a great idea as you can use it outdoors as well if you desire.

Finally, FBI HRT has been seen in full MC recently, along with Clackamas County SWAT. Everyone is digging that Multicam.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby ogrejager » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Jewish Ninja wrote:There is nothing wrong with black gear if that's the look you like.

Other than it's hot as hell outside in the summer. I grimace every time I see someone at Summer Slaughter wearing all black.

ogrejager

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment