What to Run on a Plate Carrier

Discussion of load-bearing equipment, tactical gear, holsters, BDUs, and other gear related to Airsoft.

What to Run on a Plate Carrier

Postby SNAFU » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:41 am

I'm finally running a plate carrier in airsoft and I am wondering what I should throw on it besides magazine pouches? I have a couple other pouches like an EMT style pouch and just a regular storage pouch. I am usually playing 5-7 hour games so what should I carry on me? I got mags, ammo, some tools, water but is there anything else I should carry with me on the field? Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
SNAFU
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: What to Run on a Plate Carrier

Postby McNair » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:07 pm

I'll try to get a picture of my current set up but I just got back from the last MSW event and all my shit is packed.

My kit is set up to run a LM4 as a squad leader, so I don't really use that much ammo.

I run a LBT 6094. I have a kangaroo pouch on the front that holds three mags plus another mag pouch on the front of that(so 4 mags on the front of hte PC).
Also on the front flap I have a CAT and EMT sheers for cool guy points.
Above that I run a Tactical tailor enhanced Admin pouch.

Left side I run a radio pouch, large MBITR pouch that i put a water bottle in, and an IFAK.
Right side I run a multitool pouch, a GP pouch that I can use for a GPS, Smoke grenade, etc, and finally a canteen pouch with canteen.

On the back I keep slick for carrying a ruck but I have a MAP that is quick detach. On that are two more single mag pouches and a couple grenade pouches that can be used for grenades or whatever other stuff.

My PC is ever changing and likely yours will be as well. You keep changing it and figure out what works.
I also change mine up between running in the woods, running in a MOUT enviroment, and if I will be spending a lot fo time in vehicles.
McNair

Postby Rentax » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Like McNair touched on, it depend on what you are doing on the field.
I also run a LBT 6094,
I have a kangaroo pouch set up for MP7 4 Mags (but I also have an M4 one) and then 3 Taco pouches on my front, a basic admin pouch above them.
On my left I have 3 pistol mag pouches, and a radio pouch
On my right I have a MSM Stealth pouch for pens, paper, lighters, tools etc. EMT shears and a CAT (cool guy points) And a MAP on my back for water and extras.
I also wear a sub load, for my drop leg holster and drop leg dump pouch. My belt also holds 3 pistol mags, 1 horizontal pouch for my phone, 1 vert pouch for BB's and speed loader, and my death rag / general pourpose pouch.

I also have a similar setup on a Tactical Tailor MAV, with more M$ pouches, for a lighter load out.

I run a lot heavier on the pouch front than most guys these days, but I do use most of my stuff every time I'm out.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:26 pm

Hey SNAFU, what PC did You get?

Doesn't REALLY matter, just thought maybe one of the old timers may have had experience with that carrier, and have something specific to add about it.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Nark » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:53 pm

I run a FAPC, a plate carrier without a cummerbund. On the front I run double stack M4 pouch on my left side and a double pistol on my right with an admin on top for random stuff. On the back I run a basic hydro carrier since I'm fast to heat up. This is the right amount of mags, for me at least, to run through at OAA or R&R and only have to fill up a few times. That's more about your play style and not rockin' on full auto too much.
ImageImage
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:30 pm

Yo Nark, what brand is that hydro bag?
Never seen it.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Jewish Ninja » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:17 pm

Dummy plates are very key if you don't have any. Plate carriers are just that, designed to carry plates. They aid greatly in the form and function of your rig. AONW has dummy plates for $25~, or you can make some from thick cardboard and duct tape (one Specdet member made some from kick board foam as it's really close to the right thickness).

Only other thing I would add is a quality (not a cheap Midland/Motorola/ other FRS) radio, and put it towards the front of your carrier. One of the most common things I see people do, is run their radio on their back which is a TERRIBLE place to have one. Having it up front so you can adjust the volume and change channels is as important as your primary mags. I carry my radio on my left side, at the very front of my cummerbund flap.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Steve » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:42 pm

My $0.02:

Take all of your Airsoft "stuff". Dump it in a huge pile (or the entirety of your garage and living room, depending). Sort it into 3 piles:
-Stuff you'll likely never use, because it sucked or you got better stuff
-Stuff you always use
-Stuff that you sometimes need or want

Put away all of category 1. Sort category two again. Anything that you always use, but don't necessarily like, start looking for replacement stuff. Mount the minimum amount of "always" stuff on your plate carrier. Look at the amount of stuff on it, to see how much space is left.

Add whatever "sometimes" stuff you think you'll use in the free space.

Go play.

When you get back, reassess. If you didn't use it, write that down. If there was something that would have been critical of even nice to have, write that down too. Do this every time you play. If it turns out that you have 7 primary mags on your rig but routinely run through 3 before getting a chance to reload, strip a couple mag pouches out. If you end up wishing you had comms, add a radio. Ditto hydration pouches, pistol mags, grenades, pyro.

Also, keep a mental list of what you use and when. Also, the stuff that absolutely needs to be accessible right freaking now. Set up your carrier accordingly. As much as possible, fill the spots that are easy to get to with stuff that you need to get to in a hurry. Have standard spaces that you fill with gear that's mission-variable.

Continually reassess what you have, what you need or want, and what you are carrying. Your shoulders and back will thank you for running lighter loads. It's really okay to have empty space on a carrier, and it's just as okay to slim down to a small chest rig if the mission allows it.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Nark » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:55 am

ClownBaby wrote:Yo Nark, what brand is that hydro bag?
Never seen it.

EI maybe? Issued gear? I got a couple pouches from a vet who knew my ex. I've got another if it tickles your fancy. I dig it cause it's simple but I do wish it had some webbing on it.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby McNair » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Nark wrote:
Never seen it.

EI maybe? Issued gear? I got a couple pouches from a vet who knew my ex. I've got another if it tickles your fancy. I dig it cause it's simple but I do wish it had some webbing on it.

Should have a tag no matter what.
McNair

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:42 pm

McNair wrote:
Nark wrote:
Never seen it.

Should have a tag no matter what.

You'd think so, right?

If it was purchased as part of a Rapid Fielding Initiative (RFI), it might not.

RFI was / is a program where guys got interviewed on their way out of a combat zone to see what stuff they liked, what they hated, and what stuff they had reached into their own pocket and bought. If it was something that was seen a bunch, the RFI folks would generally source it or something like it and issue it to follow-on troops. This caused weird stuff to happen.

IIRC, and this was back in '06, so it's been a minute, we got issued something called a "Molle Rifleman Kit" or some such that had a mesh front-zip vest covered in MOLLE attachment loops and a bunch of pouches. Most of the pouches didn't have tags. It caused no end of problems supply-side, as the kit was packaged in a giant ziplock and issued at the RFI station as a single item rather than as each individual pouch. Nobody really knew what was supposed to be in the bag, and QC was sometimes spotty on the quantities. When it got added to the individual soldier's clothing record, it was sometimes, but not always, added as each separate component was its' own item. So, a year or two later, we came out of country and had to inventory our shit. Then it's a mad scramble of trying to figure out what cryptic pouch name on the inventory form matches up with what weird-shaped pouch, and of course, there's no tags or the ones that are present are worse than useless. No end of fuckery ensued. (Fun times: Ask ten guys to point to their "attachment, female, load-lifter. It's an issued item, but almost nobody knows what it is.)
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby ClownBaby » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:08 pm

Answer: What is a bra, Alex?

Yeah, I just received a group of "liberated" mil pouches, many with ZERO markings. Nothing.

Some with very similar buckles. Could these be contracted BlackHawk gear?
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Steve » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:37 pm

Actually, it's a pair of straps that mount to your backpack that lets you cinch the top of the back of the pack closer to the rucksack frame.

If it's not marked, I'd guess it's contract run through somebody's state run industries for the blind or handicapped. We pushed a lot of procurement projects through something called "lighthouse for the blind" or something similar. Some real company designed the gear, they sourced the fastex buckles and material, prolly through Schott Fabrics or somebody else Berry Act compliant, and fobbed the seamstress stuff off to a workhouse that got government subsidies to help lower the cost of labor.

Steve

Postby Jewish Ninja » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:18 pm

Nark wrote:
Never seen it.

Looks like the sustainment/ hydro pouch that came with the FILBE pack system (made by Eagle).

http://www.terapeak.com/worth/lot-usmc- ... 926125937/
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby SNAFU » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:31 am

Thank you for all your opinions and ideas. It is very much appreciated.
SNAFU
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Tactical Equipment