Jerry Rigging your Airsoft Gun

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Postby Nox » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:14 pm

Awesome, thank ya sir!
Nox

Team: N/A

Postby killbucket » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:01 pm

Got an M4? Are your rear tabs broken? @#$%^!!!....
I'm going to rescue this receiver upper that I botched up. First, here's a CAD drawing, and a jpg for the CAD-deprived. Make sure you print it at 300dpi, and the pattern will be full-size. I made mine from .090" ABS sheet. Stock ones are .075" thick, but there is a bit of room for slightly thicker material.
http://www.air-sharp.com/M4%20repair%20tabs.dwg
The gun I'm going to resurrect with this repair is brand-new. I bought it so I could send the upper to Ka-Bar, who was very understanding about his showing up broken in shipment. (It's boxed, goes out tomorrow morning) so I'm going to repair this other upper that I have and make a whole gun out of the donor.
The upper you see little bit of was an early experiment. I had applied epoxy directly to the upper, and carved it to shape. Unfortunately, it made the assembly so stiff the tab snapped off the first time I went to snap it on. The lower assembly here is waiting for a strip and repaint, so I wasn't worried about it, and could focus on the repair.
But I digress. Your gun is busticated, and you aren't the first with the ailment, or the last.
First off, look for a replacement SRC upper. (Jungletoy used to have them, but now they have a new shopcart, and their search no longer brings one up). I paid $19.00 for one there earlier this year, so I know they are out there. Digressing again, but the point is, replace is better than repair. But let's suppose you live under an overpass, and you gun is broken. I don't know how you'd be reading this under a bridge, but I've seen the homeless with laptops...
I cut the parts out, and as you can deduce from the sequence of photos, one got welded in. The new part is located using the stock rear take-down pin, and the gun clamped shut after gluing. The squeeze bottle changes everything when using these glues. The included brush (fuzzy ball type) is only good for laminating large surfaces, (or use as an improvised torch when you're fifteen, and it's 1977, and you aren't properly supervised!)
The most important thing here is complete drying time. Oatey HD Grey adhesive (really, they should send me a x-mas card this year) will dry overnight, and hold the new part securely in place. I won't be standing on it, but the gun will stay together now.

Last edited by killbucket on Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have more toys...than anybody...Google my name.
killbucket
Ranger
Ranger

Postby killbucket » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:56 pm

Now here we are TWO DAYS later (Always have many projects going at once, it's easier to leave stuff alone to dry properly!)
Ugly, but effective. It is just as solid as it was before. Note in the top pic, the fillet of grey glue between the new tab and the body. I put a second application of glue on yesterday morning. This was to make sure this area was filled in well. If you look close at a GOOD tab, you'll see the same fillet.
Bear in mind, this doesn't have to be pretty, just strong. You could hack the parts out with wire cutters!
I have more toys...than anybody...Google my name.
killbucket
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Jerry Rigging your Airsoft Gun

Postby Reeko » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:42 pm

The selector plate broke on my G36c so i placed a small piece of alluminum foil in the contacts, and then used a rubber band to retain the small lever. I dont know exactly how it made my gun shoot. But it shoots. The safety still works, but im not sure if semi auto works. But thats not all important for a CQC gun anyways.

YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Custom Projects