MK18 Build

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Re: MK18 Build

Postby Regular Guy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Will u call it Cadilac if it has a Volkswagen engine? U want to copy an MK18 exact build then stick with specs. Otherwise, its just another tricked out M4.
You Fancy Huh?!
Regular Guy
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Orwell » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:14 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Quar ... e_Receiver
http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/news/nav ... -mk18-cqbr

Good lord, people. Let's all hug and grill bratwurst. :)

Also, seriously, don't contradict Welshy. Man deserves your respect. Triple check your info.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby frogfish » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:40 am

Ah ok sorry Welshy, I got confused by the use of "block".

See you guys have insight more so into the Army side of things and you know I say I know jack about that side of things, my knowledge base is very specialized to NSW and in specific Group 2.

14.5 inch Mk18s in both Mod 0 and Mod 1 exist, SEALs just didn't use the Mod 0 often and while the Mod 1 exists in 14.5inch variant but I've only ever seen one (sorry in person so no pictures) and they guy was using it as he was waiting on FN to supply a replacement stock and hinge for his Mk17 during workups. Other units in NSW and other non-NSW navy units use 14.5 inch Mod 0s, what was RIVRON did for example and I have seen some floating around SWCC....
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby frogfish » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:25 pm

From everything I was taught there are no standard M4s in NSW they are all "Mk18s" since the Mod 0 came out.... This is what I heard from dudes and the term we were told to use to sell shit to commands. Granted to some guys as long as they spat 5.56 they were M4s...

EDIT: The other thing to realize is that each team has an armory as well with full time armorers, they can set their weapons up however they like, so they can take a 10.3in weapon and slap a 14.5in barrel on there should the so choose, but the ballistic variation between the two within 300 yards isn't that dissimilar so unless you plan on actively engaging a target way the hell away, why bother, plus at 14.5in the Mk17 provides a far better platform for distant engagements, and they are as common as coke cans.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Orwell » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:35 pm

I think it's also important to note that just because someone is in the armed forces, it does not guarantee that they know what their rifle is designated. The fellow you met with the 14.5" "Mk18" may, indeed, have just had an M4. You could have misunderstood, he could have misspoke, or he could be flat wrong. After all, I was once informed by a gentleman in the army that we aren't permitted (due to the Geneva conventions) to use the .50 cal against infantry, only as an anti-vehicle weapon. You see, .50 is simply too large for anti-personell use.

My (final) $.02. :)
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby frogfish » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Orwell wrote: The fellow you met with the 14.5" "Mk18" may, indeed, have just had an M4....."Army stuffs"

errm while under normal circumstances that may be fine and dandy logic, you know for Joe Schmoe Navy/Army/Cream Corn like in your example, but this guys is a marksman for Team 2 I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was using, do look at my location and what I said I was doing, I didn't wheel and deal to the blunt end.

Most of the Team guys I know can't tell you what their kit is beyond plate carrier or a "Rhodesian", but they can tell you just about anything you want to know about their weapons, I also know this guy personally and have no reason to doubt what he says to me.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:55 pm

frogfish wrote:
Orwell wrote: ... do look at my location ....

You have no location.
McNair

Postby frogfish » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:58 pm

Eh so many websites, hard to keep straight what profiles I've set up or not, anyway its fixed now.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Orwell » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:44 am

Noted. Thanks, Welshy. I'm sorry for questioning you, Frogfish. I hope you'll forgive my doubt- it is the internet, after all. :)
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby frogfish » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:14 pm

No worries man, its the internet I always take things in doubt too. Welshy knows his shit too, and this is his native territory so I figured I'd get some backlash for disagreeing with him, although I just was confused on what he said.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby frogfish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 pm

But I'm bored!!

Its interesting to see all the Mk18s people are building now. Seems to be the FOTM.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Custom Projects