MK18 Build

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Re: MK18 Build

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:37 am

There are varying barrel lengths.
The MK18 Block II has a 14.5 in barrel, a "Block I" is the variant with a 10.3 in barrel and a 9.5 in DD RIS.
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Team: T.F.W.

Postby Orwell » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:01 am

Panther [TFW-W02] wrote:There are varying barrel lengths.
The MK18 Block II has a 14.5 in barrel, a "Block I" is the variant with a 10.3 in barrel and a 9.5 in DD RIS.

I believe you're thinking of the SOPMOD Block II M4A1, which often features a DD RIS II. Some earlier versions had the KAC rail system.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby frogfish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 am

The blocks are accessories schedules.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOPMOD

The mods are the difference between the drop in RIS and the free floating RIS with a low profile gas block.

The Mk18 comes in both a 14.5 and a 10.3 inch variant, there is no designation in the title to differentiate between the lengths.

Peq-16 would not work for a mk18, Peq-16 is standard issue to the USMC, Peq-15 (and whatever the newer socom PEQ that is based off of the 15 is) are what you want for a mk18.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Alot of branches took the block II m4 and put DD rails on it and used the block II optics and acessories so thats where the "block II" comes from. u are correct as well in all other regards welshey
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Goliath17 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Would it matter if I had a DD rail system with a bridge over the top rail? Link: http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?c ... s_id=37049
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Goliath17
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Thats an omega, not the ris II which is what u need. If I were I'd go the KWA route, CQR then DD rail and rewire to a cranestock.
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Postby frogfish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Welshy McSheeplove wrote:
Panther [TFW-W02] wrote:There are varying barrel lengths.

No.

MOD 0 (aka "Block 1") = 10.3 inch barrel with triangle sight and KAC rails.

MOD 1 (aka "Block 2") = 10.3 inch barrel with 9.5 RIS II.

Army go some CQBR uppers that had 10.5 inch barrels as well.

The MK18 is pretty much universally fitted with a 10.3 inch barrel. I have yet to see anything designated as a MK18 have anything longer than a 10.3 inch barrel on it.

No, just plain no. Sorry Welshy but this info is wrong.

The weapon "Blocks" are accessories schedules as they apply to SOCOM, Block I is older style (aimpoint/ACOG, Peq-2, KAC accessories), Block II is the newer accessories schedule (Eotech, SpecterDR, Peq-15, troy and KAC accessories) with a Block III schedule slated to come into effect EOFY 2013 that will include an upgraded PEQ, newer flashlights, and 7.62 specific optics for the now popular Mk17. Block I is now also the standard accessories schedule for the US Army, although it has been supplimented by newer items like an upgraded PEQ (in some cases). These would be the "standard" (bare minimum) accessories for any particular weapon system essentially what is available regardless of what your unit also supplies, or you buy on your own.

Click here for more info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOPMOD

Mod 0 is the older style Mk18 (commonly referred to as a CQBR by airsofters) that comes with a standard triangle front sight post and a KAC drop in rail. It was available in both 14.5 and 10.3 inch variants, and saw use as both within NSW (and still sees use by some). It was designed with specific attention to NSW by Crane Weapons division (originally for NSWDG, that would have been NSW ST6 at the time) over the standard M4a1. The Block I schedule is what was available when this weapon existed, with what is termed "Block 1.5" being available while the weapon was phased out (Block 2 accessories on a Mk18Mod0 or mixing accessories from Block I and Block II).

Mod 1 is the newest incarnation with the DD free floating RIS, it is available in both a 10.3 and 14.5 inch variant. However there is not much need for the 14.5 inch variant as there are superior weapon systems available (like the mk17) for the DM role. It has been enhanced over the Mod 0 (at the request of NSWDG) with a free floating barrel for improved accuracy and other internal enhancements to the BCG, Bolt and trigger group deigned in joint with Crane Weapons division, Troy armories, and Daniel Defense. Block II is the current accessories schedule and is what is commonly used on this weapon, however newer accessories are available with the most up to date weapons often having being a mix of Block II and what will be Block III accessories.

Remember though that these are Navy designations as applied by Crane, not SOCOM wide designations. In any other branch these are termed M4, which is where the confusion may arrise as the 14.5 inch variant sees much wider use within Ranger and Army SF units that are far more common in your area, where it is simply a M4a2(? or possibly a1 I cannot remember) Block 2.

On my personal assumptions I have to assume CAG gets things at the same time as NSWDG, but they apply their own designations as they MUST have their own weapons development branch like Crane (potentially at Natick, I just don't know) but I've noticed that the Mod 1 variant of the Mk18 didn't appear in use with CAG at the same time as it did with NSWDG, as it seems CAG opted for the 416 instead and the 416 appears much earlier on within CAG than it does with NSW. I just don't know anything about how CAG does things. I've worked selling the schedule accessories to NSW, this is how I know this about them.
Last edited by frogfish on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:03 pm

So am I write or wrong? It's not a contest for me, I just want to make sure my info going forward is correct.
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Postby frogfish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:08 pm

I did a massive edit, read it again now it may clear things up for you.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Haha that's extensive, it should clear up an questions
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Goliath17 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

Come on guys, you don't have to argue about barrel lengths. I'm still going with a 14.5" barrel and a 12" DD RIS II
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless.
Goliath17
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Panther [TFW-W02] » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:45 pm

that's probabl the best choice for a field gun configuration
Panther [TFW-W02]
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Goliath17 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:51 pm

Last question, do I have to have a 553 holographic sight? Because I already have a 552
Goliath17
Soldier
Soldier

Postby frogfish » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:59 pm

You don't have to have any sight on there, but if you are building a Mk18 in particular you should see if its been used or fits the accessories block for the timeframe you are looking at. However coincidentally 552s have been spotted on older Mk18s.

Just remember the accessories do not determine if its a Mk18 or not, Mk18 is the weapon. The Block and the timeframe determine the accessories you are to use (to a certain extent).

Another thing to help, the Navy has no M4s, just as it has no SIG226s, it has Mk18s and Mk25s.
frogfish
Grunt
Grunt

Postby dos_Santos » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 pm

That was a good read. I have a gun, and it shoots BB's. Call your hits.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Projects