Fixing a tracer unit.

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Fixing a tracer unit.

Postby Wolverine12 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm

So sorry if I put this post in the wrong spot I didn't know where else to put it. My friends tracer unit he got stopped working a few months after he got it. The sensor is still working and will flash when a bb is dropped through it. The problem is that the light doesn't flash, and I was wondering how you would be able to fix this. I think it might be the light on it but I have never worked on these things before so I wouldn't know.
Yes, that is the barrel of my gun you are staring down.
Wolverine12
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Fixing a tracer unit.

Postby Steve » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:18 am

Tear it down as far as you can, hook a multimeter across the LEDs and measure the voltage when you drop a pellet past the sensor. If it spikes, your LEDs are hosed. If it doesn't change, keep checking components to see where the voltage fails.

When you figured out where it quit, replace the component or resolder whatever blew up.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Wolverine12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Have you ever worked on a tracer unit before?
Yes, that is the barrel of my gun you are staring down.
Wolverine12
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Yep. Even got a couple of them put back together properly.

Generally, you can unscrew both ends and work ninja magic to get the fiddly bits out. Take lots of pictures, because reassembly isn't always the reverse of how you pulled the parts out. If it uses rechargeable batteries, disassembly sort of sucks. If they have a plastic sliding switch to turn on / off, that piece is a b**** to get out and put back in.

The most irritating one I had used thin pot metal for the body, so it stripped out the end cap and swelled the tube body. That one is basically a write off unless or until I find somebody to machine a new body tube (more $ than it is worth) or get the tools to do it myself.

To be honest, though, I recently got a pro to install a HUTU. I highly doubt I'll ever buy another tracer can, with the possible exception of for use on a pistol. When the three working cans I have now fail, I'll probably scrap them in favor of HUTUs.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Return to Custom Projects