King Arms Phantom AUG review and installation

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

King Arms Phantom AUG review and installation

Postby Spartanacus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I have a TM AUG that I'm in the process of turning into a fine-tuned DMR. I plan on doing a work log and performance review once I have that complete. But I'm going to start with something easy:

The King Arms Phantom kit completes two jobs nicely. The first is that it adds two picatinny rails, the lack of accessory rails are one of the AUG's notable downsides. Second, it makes it look really, really mean.

While I've heard mixed reviews on King Arms magazines and products in general, the Phantom Kit is top notch. The base, rails, end cap, and threaded barrel sections are matte black anodized aluminum and have excellent tolerances. The center threaded support section is also aluminum but is shiny. Either way, great quality throughout. The kit arrives in one piece, bubblewrapped and with a piece of paper separating the rails from the base (I assume to prevent scratching in transit).

The kit breaks down into three main pieces: the base, the longer threaded section, and the shorter threaded section. There was slight discoloration where the paper covered the kit but restored itself after an hour of being removed.

You can break it down further by removing the rails, end cap, and center threaded support section. Inside both threaded barrel sections were foam rings from end to end.

These muffle the sound of the air exiting the barrel much like a real suppressor would, I do not have audio equipment to confirm this, but just by listening to it, I could hear a significant difference. Leaving the foam out will give you a hollow 'ping' noise which may or may not be to your liking.

You may be tempted to remove the flash hider from the front of your AUG and just shove the barrel assembly in and be done, as I was. But I can assure you, unless you like BBs breaking apart inside the kit, it's best to remove the original outer barrel.

Start by punching out the retaining pin for the front grip. Careful, as the spring-loaded baseplate will jump out at you.

That exposes a small hex set-screw that holds in the outer barrel in.

Loosen that a little and the front slides off easily exposing the inner barrel.

The base goes on fairly easily with two hex set-screws on opposite sides.

There is a rubber o-ring inside the base that will keep the gas valve in place, although a little wobbly. You'll have to be careful here as the o-ring likes to catch between the base and the mounting point for the original outer barrel.

The shorter barrel section must go on to the base first otherwise the inner barrel will be unsupported. Thread that on and you'll see your inner barrel in the middle-ish like this:

Leaving an inner barrel unsupported is a bad thing unless you hate accuracy. Unthread the center support section from the longer barrel section.

Flip it around and thread it into the shorter section so that the small hole with an o-ring supports the inner barrel, like this:

If you have a 550mm barrel or longer, flip it back around so that it's supporting the inner barrel as close to the end as possible to minimize vibration and keep it centered. With this design, I can't see how you can go with a shorter configuration without leaving the barrel unsupported. This wasn't a problem in my case since I planned on going with the full length configuration anyway.

I took the foam rings out of the shorter section for simplicity and left them in the longer section to function as an actual suppressor. With the kit fully assembled I took advantage of the lower rail and added a short aluminum Aim Sports bi-pod. Quality on this is acceptable for a cheap bi-pod.

And how it looks in its final form:

Even with the added length and weight of the bi-pod, it's still surprisingly light and easy to maneuver.
Spartanacus
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: King Arms Phantom AUG review and installation

Postby scottruss » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:20 pm

nice review and nice stuff :)
An pocket knives is a good weapon, but it can point both ways

June Stewart's smoke shop
scottruss
Recruit
Recruit