DMR Build Help

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Re: DMR Build Help

Postby Spartanacus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm

Alien_Hunter wrote:Yeah if you don't want to run your gun efficiently then you will have crank up the FPS. As a humane airsofter, I used heavier BB's to get range instead of jumping up the FPS just to a tool with a hot gun. I can too I have an m140 sitting right next to me.

Which brings up 'joule creep' and a couple of other interesting airsoft phenomenon.

If you are seeing improved range, you are actually imparting more energy by moving up to a heavier BB. There are a couple of factors that can change the energy output between different weights, and at different distances. Heavier BB's also maintain their energy longer, which is one reason why they go farther. So really Alien_Hunter, you're doing the very opposite of what you're intending.
Spartanacus
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby The Grand Baboon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:08 pm

Here in the deserts and highlands of Utah, there is a distinct advantage in range held by those who use a high FPS gun (and high quality, I might add) combined with heavyweight BBs and an R-hop. Like any other projectile, the BB has to fight against gravity. Pushing it faster and, combined with a good hop up, will help fight that unavoidable variable more effectively than velocity alone.

To say that velocity alone will increase range is absolutely false. It is a combination of factors, it's just that FPS plays an integral role in the equation.
"Oohrah, Gunny. Oohrah, Momma Dog."
The Grand Baboon
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Matt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:41 pm

Spartanacus wrote:Now for my rant. I see this a lot here, a person will ask a specific technical question, and the responses vary from "why would you want to do that?" to "well, I don't know but here is my ill-informed tangent based on what I read on KWA's website". Don't believe me? Look at this thread and you'll see that I'm the only one that answered any of Screach's questions. And I think that stems from a lack of airsmithing expertise here, where spending $1,000 on a milsim kit is totally rational but opening a gearbox is bad because you'll let the fairies out.

That's because they want to help the OP avoid headaches. 9 times out of 10, modded guns = money pits. That's cool if you're into that, each to his own.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Spartanacus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Matt wrote:That's because they want to help the OP avoid headaches. 9 times out of 10, modded guns = money pits. That's cool if you're into that, each to his own.

Fair to say. But that's also what I'm trying to do by questioning unproven technology. And for the initiated, a modded gun is significantly less expensive than what is generally considered a 'good' gun out of the box. I rebuilt a broken TM G36 to shoot 28 rps @ 365 fps for less than $200. So to each their own indeed ;)
Spartanacus
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Lunchbox » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:12 pm

Matt wrote:
Switchback wrote:TL/DR: I'm not a fan of these new-fangled DMR's and I frankly don't see the appeal. If you get a DMR, you're encouraged to camp like a sniper but not set up a hide, use stealth, fire selectively, etc. You've got all the power while employing none of the skill and suffering none of the disadvantages. The DMR is like the sniper rifle for a lazy person. The DMR is like the standard rifle for the lazy person.***[/size]

Quite possibly the smartest thing anybody under 18 on this forum has said. There's something totally lame about a bunch of dudes standing around IN THE OPEN lobbing rounds at each other at 150 feet who are afraid to get winded and actually flank, or afraid to get dirty and take some cover.

Agree completely, often times people who have a DMR set up do not have the field craft to operate with it correctly
G.O.A.T.
Thomas Gabriel: On your tombstone it should say "Always in the wrong place at the wrong time".
John McClane: How about "Yippi-kay-ay, meanie"
Lunchbox
Specops
Specops

Team: G.O.A.T

Postby Switchback » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Spartanacus wrote:
Matt wrote:That's because they want to help the OP avoid headaches. 9 times out of 10, modded guns = money pits. That's cool if you're into that, each to his own.

Fair to say. But that's also what I'm trying to do by questioning unproven technology. And for the initiated, a modded gun is significantly less expensive than what is generally considered a 'good' gun out of the box. I rebuilt a broken TM G36 to shoot 28 rps @ 365 fps for less than $200. So to each their own indeed ;)

I've seen your tech topics here and have been impressed. Very impressed. As for being the only contributor to the topic, it may seem like that but I have talked extensively with Screach in person about this very build. I'm beginning to think two multi-page topics is excessive for a pre-build :/ Just seems a little too "what gun" -ish for me, I guess.

Lunchbox wrote:
Matt wrote:There's something totally lame about a bunch of dudes standing around IN THE OPEN lobbing rounds at each other at 150 feet who are afraid to get winded and actually flank, or afraid to get dirty and take some cover.

Agree completely, often times people who have a DMR set up do not have the field craft to operate with it correctly

That's more what I was going for, really complaining about the whole idea that pops into my head when I see DMR. I'm all for people wanting more accuracy and range out of their investments! I just don't think you have to drop huge dollar on internals to get there. I especially don't think you need to up the energy to do it either.

But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Or stiffens your rudder ;)
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby Reaver » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:28 am

I would suggest getting the tk barrel and the prometheus. Get all your other goodies installed, and then take the gun out for some target practice. Try both barrels using the same bucking and bb weight/brand at a distance that you feel you will be using said gun primarily. Run with what works best. I have ran rifled barrels in paintball and non rifled barrels (empire twister 12" and 12" ironmen boomstick), so its ultimately up to what responds best with your gun setup, and its always good to have spare parts :)

Also, raising your spring in conjunction with raising the weight of your ammo will keep your fps down.
When in doubt, empty the mag.
Reaver
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby timmah » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 am

Reaver wrote:I would suggest getting the tk barrel and the prometheus. Get all your other goodies installed, and then take the gun out for some target practice. Try both barrels using the same bucking and bb weight/brand at a distance that you feel you will be using said gun primarily. Run with what works best. I have ran rifled barrels in paintball and non rifled barrels (empire twister 12" and 12" ironmen boomstick), so its ultimately up to what responds best with your gun setup, and its always good to have spare parts :)

Also, raising your spring in conjunction with raising the weight of your ammo will keep your fps down.

I agree with this logic/thought, however to test it you will still need the gearbox tuned to under 350fps to be within specs for the tk barrel.
character density, n.: The number of very weird people in the office.
timmah
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Screach » Wed May 15, 2013 6:04 pm

Sorry for my very late response, I have a few things to say, first off, thank you all for contributing, I truly appreciate it. And Next:

@Spartanacus: Thank you for your support, I really appreciate it.

@Switchback: As to clear up some confusion on my want for a DMR, for the past 3 years, up until November(when i received an m14), I ran a bolt. I can also assure you that I have no fear of flanking, getting dirty, or taking the "long way" to the target, in fact i actually enjoy it. So now the want for the dmr. I have really wanted to learn the ropes of airsoft modifying, and engineering. So my original thought was the m14... long story short, really bad option. To my dismay, the gearbox was very confusing, and a few things were out of place so I am so far off to a bad start. So now to your previous point: Because of this poor experience, I started searching for a better base gun, and I liked the SR-25. Now you told me to stick with the A&K because it's already a fairly nice base gun. So then i started to look into upgrades, and now is where the bad experience started to make a difference... I decided that before I got anything I would make a plan of everything I needed, and then learn how to install all of it. So now you know where I am coming from.

Thanks again, and I am open to any advice, except for quitting.
"For Gad and country"
Screach
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Custom Projects