Favorite/Most Practical DIY RPG Plans?

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Favorite/Most Practical DIY RPG Plans?

Postby Alien_Hunter » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:22 pm

I have long fetishized having an airsoft RPG. BUT I don't want to pay $500 for what is essentially an RPG 'grendade' launcher.
I am looking for something that will shoot a nerf or other projectile around a 100 feet and look decent without having hoses and valves coming off it. Something that has maybe an 88gram CO-2 cartridge built in.

So-
practical
alright looking
under $200 budget
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Re: Favorite/Most Practical DIY RPG Plans?

Postby NFS_Shadow » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:11 am

Good luck. You could however place a small quick detach valve hidden somewhere so you could charge it from an air tank and then detach it for use. Then all you have to do is figure out how to trigger a fast release valve on the inside of the rpg body by pulling the trigger or whatever fire mech a rpg uses.
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby Alien_Hunter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:10 am

You know somebody on some other website I was browsing suggested the 'plungers' that open car doors because they're strong enough to push open whatever valves. Maybe some kind of potato gun?
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby The Grand Baboon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 am

Alien_Hunter wrote:You know somebody on some other website I was browsing suggested the 'plungers' that open car doors because they're strong enough to push open whatever valves. Maybe some kind of potato gun?

Here's what I'd do, and for the record I've never seen this done.

Buy some foam pipe insulation, not the soft, spongy type, but the type that is much more rigid. Then go to a craft store and find a heavier/denser foam to make the cone shaped warhead. Your objective would be to make a giant nerf dart. If you wanted to keep it looking exactly like an RPG-7 then you'd just have to use 2" pressure rated PVC to make yourself an in line reservoir, solenoid valve, and barrel.

The image below is a general idea, but you'd be basically following the same steps that you would to create a pneumatic potato cannon. You could then "dress up" the RPG to look exactly like an RPG-7...or LAW/AT4 if you used different dimensions.

I use the same design, albeit modified, to launch potatoes over 100 yards at ~100-120psi. I use a bicycle pump and a pressure gauge to make sure I don't exceed the ratings of the pipe.

Excuse my paint skills.
"Oohrah, Gunny. Oohrah, Momma Dog."
The Grand Baboon
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Spartanacus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:13 pm

Safety concerns aside, I'm guessing a 12g co2 cartridge would have sufficient energy to propel a RPG sized piece of foam 100ft. They're light and cheap.

So instead of pressurizing the launcher, plug a co2 cartridge into the back of a foam shaped rocket grenade. The launcher would simply be PVC pipe with a piercing mechanism linked to the trigger.

This would make it actually be a self-propelled projectile. I wish I were better a physics and math to be able to break this concept down exactly, but it may be workable.
Spartanacus
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alien_Hunter » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm thinking I'll do something like Grand Baboon's idea BUT I want to thread in an 88g CO2, then have a valve to let an expansion chamber fill, close the C02 valve and have some kind trigger. I think the trigger is going to be the hardest part.
It would probably look like a plumbing fitting fitament that I would put an RPG 'shroud' over except it would probably be closer to a LAW rocket.
so
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:53 pm

I may go through with this project now I have a car, time and some $$$.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:37 pm

I recently built one that was powered by compressed air from a bike pump. Worked great until I over pressured it and the connections blew. Rember that SCH40 PVC is not rated for air pressure. I'm ging to redo the connections and not over pressure it anymore. They are only really useful against vehicles in games though...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Reeko » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:20 pm

use laser tag beams. have a flashy RPG, but the grenade doesnt have to hit anything, the tube has a laser tag laser on it, which destroys a vehicle if you hold it on the vehicles receiver for long enough. Then on all of your vehicles, put a cutoff switch hooked up to the beam receiver some how. So when the rpg hits it, it can shut off all the guns and engines. And maybe have it hooked up to pyro that makes some smoky little explosions.

you might have to be an physicist to pull it off, but it would be great for scenario games
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Reeko wrote:use laser tag beams. have a flashy RPG, but the grenade doesnt have to hit anything, the tube has a laser tag laser on it, which destroys a vehicle if you hold it on the vehicles receiver for long enough. Then on all of your vehicles, put a cutoff switch hooked up to the beam receiver some how. So when the rpg hits it, it can shut off all the guns and engines. And maybe have it hooked up to pyro that makes some smoky little explosions.

you might have to be an physicist to pull it off, but it would be great for scenario games

Or use one like mine that shoot mini-nerf vortex rockets 100+ yards... The sound of the impact will let everyone know it's been hit...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Jewish Ninja » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 pm

Jester316 wrote:I recently built one that was powered by compressed air from a bike pump. Worked great until I over pressured it and the connections blew. Rember that SCH40 PVC is not rated for air pressure. I'm ging to redo the connections and not over pressure it anymore. They are only really useful against vehicles in games though...

Part of the problem too is you didn't correctly prep the surfaces that you were gluing.

Another thing you can consider is making a shot cup out of foam and packing it full of BBs. some tape and tissue paper will hold em in and you've got a giant shotgun ;)
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Reeko » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Jester316 wrote:
Reeko wrote:use laser tag beams. have a flashy RPG, but the grenade doesnt have to hit anything, the tube has a laser tag laser on it, which destroys a vehicle if you hold it on the vehicles receiver for long enough. Then on all of your vehicles, put a cutoff switch hooked up to the beam receiver some how. So when the rpg hits it, it can shut off all the guns and engines. And maybe have it hooked up to pyro that makes some smoky little explosions.

Or use one like mine that shoot mini-nerf vortex rockets 100+ yards... The sound of the impact will let everyone know it's been hit...

you guys do what ever you want, im just passing up ideas.
YOU SIR!!!!...... DO NOT HAVE ANY PANCAKE MIX!
Reeko
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:51 am

Part of the problem too is you didn't correctly prep the surfaces that you were gluing....

Lies! I slathered the goop on the thing and put it in the hole...

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:36 am

Jester316 wrote:
Part of the problem too is you didn't correctly prep the surfaces that you were gluing....

Lies! I slathered the goop on the thing and put it in the hole...

Ok NOBODY make a she-said joke right now.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:18 pm

Well I haz an idea that's looking a lot cheaper and easier. Basically I am going to make a potato gun. EXCEPT I am going to have space in the back to keep a can of hairspray locked in behind the valve, so that all I have to do is push it into the valve for a few seconds. Get rid of all the funky levers and C02.

Edit:I don't even need a launcher.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Custom Projects