A new Zombie game?

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

A new Zombie game?

Postby Betak95 » Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 pm

I hope this is where this is supposed to go. Anyway, I've been creating a Zombie style apocalypse game, and I could really use some input. Criticism is wanted!

The Zombie Apocalypse: An Airsoft Game

Premise:
After a terrorist biological attack, the bodies of the recently deceased have begun to rise and attack the living with the intent to devour and spread the infection. You are among the few to survive the initial cataclysm. Having banded with your fellow survivors, you gain word of potential evacuation station near your current location. You have 4 hours until help arrives. Can you survive? Just remember, zombies aren't the only threat out there. . . Have fun!

Rules:
There will be 3 factions. Survivors, bandits, and zombies.

Survivors:
Initial load-out:
1 Handgun
2 Clips
1 Approved Melee Weapon
1 Walkie-Talkie
1 Higher-Grade Weapon (25% only)

Description:
Survivors will wear a BLUE bandana on their person at all times. Survivors will be hunted by both BANDITS and ZOMBIES and vice versa. Survivors have the option of either working together or killing their teammates. Survivors can find and loot additional weaponry. 25% of the group will be given a higher grade weapon at the beginning.

Bandits:
Initial load-out:
1 Handgun
1 Clips
1 Approved Melee Weapon
1 Walkie-Talkie
1 Higher-Grade Weapon (50% only)

Description:
Bandits will wear a RED bandana on their person at all times. Bandits will hunt both SURVIVORS and ZOMBIES and vice versa. Bandits have the option of working with other bandits ONLY. 50% of the group will be given Higher-grade weaponry. Bandits will enter the game 30 MINUTES after its start.

Zombies:
Initial Load-out:
Unspecified Loot
Ammo, weaponry

Description:
Zombies will wear a GREEN bandana on their person at all times. Zombies will hunt SURVIVORS and BANDITS and vice versa. Zombies may run and plan ambushes, but MUST act in character when around a "living" player.

Infection:
A zombie may infect a "living" player by holding onto said player for at least 10 seconds with BOTH hands. After this, the player will lie down, proceed to either holster his/her weapon or drop it, and put replace his/her bandana with a GREEN one. After 1 minute has passed, the player is now a ZOMBIE, and shall act accordingly.

Saving:
While a ZOMBIE is infecting a player, a single shot from another player, BANDIT OR SURVIVOR, will serve to interrupt the process. The player is then downed, and can only be revived by a character with a REVIVE SYRINGE.

Additional Rules:
The current group playing will be split into the three factions randomly.
40% Survivors
20% Bandits
40% Zombies

Survivors/Bandits CANNOT respawn as "living" characters. Only Zombies can respawn by either walking to a "Safe Zone" respawn point, or by waiting until the survivors have moved on out of sight.

Random weaponry, ammo, and assorted goods will be scattered throughout the map in hidden caches.

Starting Weaponry will be provided for you. Do NOT bring your own MODIFIED weapons.
Betak95
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: A new Zombie game?

Postby Betak95 » Tue May 28, 2013 7:46 pm

No one?
Betak95
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Variable » Tue May 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Dude, zombie games of all shapes and sizes have been done. Yours isn't that much different.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Betak95 » Tue May 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Variable wrote:Dude, zombie games of all shapes and sizes have been done. Yours isn't that much different.

Yes, but all I'm asking for is your imput
Betak95
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ogrejager » Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 am

Betak95 wrote:
Variable wrote:Dude, zombie games of all shapes and sizes have been done. Yours isn't that much different.

Yes, but all I'm asking for is your imput

He just gave it. Do a search for the Night series of games put on at Ivan's field. Yours isn't that much different.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby pathfinder » Wed May 29, 2013 7:54 am

want to make your game different from everyone else? get some real zombies...
Promoters who charge $40 for a game they just copy and paste, does not give a crap about you, they care about money.
pathfinder
Soldier
Soldier

Team: DRAT

Postby orange hat » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:21 am

Don't mess with success.
orange hat
Grunt
Grunt

Team: ST

Postby dos_Santos » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

Clips??? This will end badly.
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Forty5ive » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Whether this exact game has been organized before is not being asked in the OP.

This game sounds very organized and has well thought out rules. Nice work, I think it sounds really fun!

My question is would the zombie team act like Walking Dead zombies or like the 28 Days Later infected?
Forty5ive
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nocte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:51 pm

I think your first mistake is creating a variance in allowed equipment based only on which team people choose. If half of the Bandits can have "advanced weapons" (you also never explained what you meant by that), but only a quarter of the Survivors can, what incentive does anyone have to sign up for the Survivor team? Survivors need some kind of balance so they aren't relegated to "the guys who sign up for your game last." You've also got the same discrepancy between the Zombies and the Bandits/Survivors. There needs to be an incentive for players to want to be a part of all three teams without perceiving a difference in their gameplay enjoyment. No one wants to be on Team Gimp.

As a few people have already mentioned, zombie games are already done to death (pun intended). Some are good, most are not. Considering that you're allowing zombies to shoot, perhaps you should rework your backstory to call them something else that uses the same mechanics (e.g. using two hands to do whatever to Bandits/Survivors). Maybe it's cyborgs or aliens or two-hand-touch football players from Vermont. Whatever. Zombies with guns and the knowledge of how to use them breaks the mold, and if you're trying to attract players using the zombie cliche, you should give them something close to what they'll expect or use a different genre.

While I'm talking about immersion, you don't need full costumes or the perfect props to do everything (it does help a lot, though), but your game has to have some point to it and there need to be clearly defined objectives. Usually these manifest from basic skirmish ideas like CTF or sector control, but they can be anything that isn't too complex (remember, most people will not read a giant post full of rules). For Project Nephilim III, I used glowsticks in a clear tube that represented a nulcear control rod. Players had to gather the loose glow sticks and put them in the tube, then turn two completed tubes into a specific admin, who then shut the lights off to the entire facility. It sounds simple, but since most people didn't read (and a few spaced out during the briefing), I had to explain it a few more times. Expect objectives to be not completed OR completed way too fast. ALWAYS have a contingency plan for both scenarios, or your game will hang up on some stupid mechanic.

If you're new at hosting, start with skirmishes. You can typically get permission to use fields that we've previously played for little to no money. Hosting a free game is a great way to test a mechanic and see how players are able to understand your ideas. If your skirmish sucks, you didn't rob them of an admission fee, and you learn what works and what doesn't. You don't have to tell them that they're testing concepts, either; if the idea is a good one, people will come to the skirmish. If they had fun, they'll usually mention it in the thread.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby Betak95 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Additional information
Advanced weaponry = anything other than a pistol
Zombies DO NOT use guns
Zombies can act however they chose, whether that be slow or fast
Teams are chosen randomly
Betak95
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Nocte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm

Yeah, so you're going to need to organize your ideas MUCH more than you have before you should consider putting this game on.
ImageImage
Nocte

Return to Custom Projects