Barrel Extension - Proof of Concept

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Barrel Extension - Proof of Concept

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:53 am

Proof of concept barrel extension. I was testing whether or not Autodesk Inventor's threading actually printed or if it was just a visual pretty that you could add to a file.

Turns out that it doesn't actually print threads (bummer), however, if you catch it right when the print finishes, the ABS is still warm enough that the threaded outer barrel will cut the right thread pattern in. Now that I know it works, I can look at doing spiky projections from the end of the "can", and doing an inset so that it slides further over the barrel while still threading on.

May even look at using translucent ABS for the inner core wall, a threaded cap, and some LEDs to do a tracer unit. Also on the plate: designing a Crane-style stock that is slightly oversized to accept larger dimension batteries. One that doesn't EAT f***ing BEARDS.

This took all of about 3 minutes to knock out in Autodesk, about 10 minutes to slice the .stl into gcode, and 7 hours and 9 minutes to print. The next revision will probably take a little longer to design, but not likely much.

Notes:
-Yes, this is mounted to an airsoft rifle, not a real rifle.
-The barrel extension has a solid core tube down the center of it that threads to the muzzle of most airsoft AEGs and GBBs. It is a sealed unit, with approximately 1.62mm walls. It is built so as to NOT reduce the sound of the replica if fired (as that would be a suppressor, and only the truly stupid piss off the BATFE, what with the penalty being something like 10 years federal time AND $100,000 fine).
-It is constructed of ABS plastic at a 25% fill, and would likely blow the f*** up, melt, (or both, for extra-special discomfort!) if attached to an actual firearm and used with blank or live ammunition.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Team: N/A

Re: Barrel Extension - Proof of Concept

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:07 am

What is the melting point of that material? Wanting a mono rail to quad rail "battleaxe" rail for my shotgun and cant find one in aluminum that fits.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:38 am

Around 105 C / 221 F (+/-).

Airsoft or real? You could probably do one for airsoft, maybe. But for real-steel you'd be better off building the model file and taking it to a local machine shop and have them cut you one out of titanium / aluminum / steel. Or sending the file of to someplace like Shapeways that uses laser-sintering 3d printers (Stratasys) and get it done.

3d printing has some wonkiness associated with it, especially for areas with overhangs and tight tolerances. Fused Filament deposition (most home-use) 3d printers are basically robotic hot glue guns for plastic. They lay down a bead of plastic along a 2d layer, then add another layer on top of that, repeat a couple of hundred times. Compared with most metals, ABS has a pretty low stress - strain curve. Comparatively easy to bend / break / delaminate layers when you subject them to stress, and occasional problems with the filament being laid poorly or not melting into the neighboring strands, especially in the cold. The Stratasys printers are an entirely separate animal. Their ABS is basically equivalent to injection molding for results. Some of the resin printers on the market will also do a really good job.

But for actually mounting to a RS weapon, I'd go to Shapeways or a local shop with a design file and get it done in metal.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Team: N/A

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:52 am

METAL!!! Cue air guitars!

I've priced the mass produced one's, round $200. I'm sure a custom one would be at least another $100-$200. It's for wincester 1300 defender. Great gun, few aftermarket parts.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Return to Custom Projects