Homemade landmine?

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Homemade landmine?

Postby MySwan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:18 pm

Something similar to this but obviously not with real shotgun shells lol. Could even use co2. http://www.mega.nu:8080/ampp/efdm/landmine.jpg
Last edited by MySwan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Sledge

Re: Homemade landmine?

Postby MySwan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Holy shit what if i just used co2 shotgun shells and use the trigger box from a co2 shotgun?
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:31 pm

Holy Shit, why not just buy one!

I'm a Genius.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby MySwan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 am

ClownBaby wrote:Holy Shit, why not just buy one!

I'm a Genius.

Cause this would probably cost like $8 and doing things yourself is fun and so are ideas.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:44 pm

I may have missed something. What this looks like is a shotgun shell in a tube with a spike at the bottom so when the victim steps on the top of the tube, it blasts the shotgun shell upwards into the foot.

I could see this recreated in Airsoft. I don't see it working particularly well, though. Not sure if the victim would even recognize what happened. Boot soles are thick. Also, there is a whole lot of luck involved in finding a victim. Looks like an off-the-cuff guess of <2" sq surface area. Pretty easy to miss, really easy to lose. Additionally, having something designed to lob pellets (and whatever else happens to cover the barrel) directly upward at close range might not be the most responsible idea when folks are rocking shooting glasses that don't fully seal.

That being said, build it. Even if it doesn't work, what you learn might let you do more with your next project. Be advised that if the BATFE decides that your end product can be modified to actually fire a real shotgun shell, you've created an unlicensed AOW, and are looking at 10 years and $250,000 in fines. Per device.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Team: N/A

Postby MySwan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Steve wrote:I may have missed something. What this looks like is a shotgun shell in a tube with a spike at the bottom so when the victim steps on the top of the tube, it blasts the shotgun shell upwards into the foot.

I could see this recreated in Airsoft. I don't see it working particularly well, though. Not sure if the victim would even recognize what happened. Boot soles are thick. Also, there is a whole lot of luck involved in finding a victim. Looks like an off-the-cuff guess of <2" sq surface area. Pretty easy to miss, really easy to lose. Additionally, having something designed to lob pellets (and whatever else happens to cover the barrel) directly upward at close range might not be the most responsible idea when folks are rocking shooting glasses that don't fully seal.

That being said, build it. Even if it doesn't work, what you learn might let you do more with your next project. Be advised that if the BATFE decides that your end product can be modified to actually fire a real shotgun shell, you've created an unlicensed AOW, and are looking at 10 years and $250,000 in fines. Per device.

A hammer and a nail can be an unlicensed AOW. Plus I wouldn't be using the nail to shoot it I would be using a device that just hits the valve. I went over it in my head about how it hitting the bootsoles wouldn't do much but it would be releasing a full 12g co2 because there is no slide to blowback the valve knocker. This is honestly just a brainstorm and I'm trying to think of ways to improve it or if it even can be.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 pm

It might help to broaden the pressure plate to be larger than a normal-sized foot, and have channels coming from your pressure vessel out to the edges for the gas to flow through, and put powder in the channels. Less likely to lose your mine, more likely to find a victim, more likely to have the victim realize that something Airsoft just happened.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby ogrejager » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:33 pm

Why are you all giving advice to a 15 year old about how to make a "simulated" landmine?

When I was his age, I blew up my parents' kitchen. Just sayin....

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Yep. And now your parents won't let anyone else do "science" in their dining room. Way to ruin it for everybody else, dude.

Steve

Postby MySwan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 pm

Steve wrote:It might help to broaden the pressure plate to be larger than a normal-sized foot, and have channels coming from your pressure vessel out to the edges for the gas to flow through, and put powder in the channels. Less likely to lose your mine, more likely to find a victim, more likely to have the victim realize that something Airsoft just happened.

Then if they stepped on something bigger than their foot they would just sink into it. Also, is there a way to reply to people in threads without quoting? I'm kinda new.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:33 am

Uhh yeah, click the yellow button on the left, top and bottom of the screen, marked "reply"

Mines that you have to dig into the ground in airsoft are dumb, for at least two reasons that come to mind.

Firstly, that you have to move into position,(hopefully with cover, meaning that you'll have to find people to cover you, cuz this isn't gonna be a fast plant) dig a hole, (how long will it take to dig a hole, now multiply that by number of mines) plant the damn thing, (booby traps are notorious for going off when you're setting them, or going off before you even get there in your pocket!) then egress outta there. (still needing cover, if your still even alive)

Second would be that they can kill anyone, and unless all your friends know where your gonna do your business, your potentially putting them, and the mission at risk.
In airsoft, bad guys can shoot me and I don't mind, but when I get friendly fired, :evil:

Also, unless you have an Engineering degree, have been a professional welder, or have an R&D lab, (a real lab)and a bunch of insurance money, most hosts will NOT want your mine on the AO.
I'm pretty sure most admin would not want baby powder and debris, flying up into their faces while they're trying to keep you, and everyone else safe.

Ok, so on the other side of the coin, there's claymores.
Call your local shop first, but if they don't have it, order one online, their cool as poop!
Quick set-up, holds a crap-ton of BB's, shoots rounds out across the trail, (or out from under a car is a good time) instead of up under your eyepro and mask. It runs on a spring, so no gas/c2o too mess with.(also means you can transport it totally safe in a pouch)
But by far, the stupidest-coolest thing that I know of in airsoft is it's trigger system. Yeah it has a trip-wire, which for some people is a pain in the a$$ to setup. (if you practice, you'll get faster, and you'll be able to see WHERE you should setup that's easier/faster/or more effective) You could also run the wire back to a heavy position, then manually break, or release the wire.

But yeah, whatever right? WRONG. REMOTE KEYCHAIN FOB DETONATOR!!!

PARTY TIME!!!

Seriously though, please don't make that thing you wanna make. IT IS A WEAPON, that's why it's in a Special Forces manual, or the Anarchist Cookbook, whichever you got it from.
It would really suck if somebody got a piece of metal in their foot. (i can hear you yelling "that wouldn't happen" but until you test that thing like a hundred times or more, I don't want that anywhere near me)
Leave that shit to the professionals, who also happen to have lawyers and insurance. (that doesn't mean you shouldn't build it, and pursue engineering if it's something you're into, but if you're going to build it and you ever want to try and field it in a game, it would be advantageous of you to continue to Post reports on your project, with details and pictures)

And they do make airsoft landmines, but they're not nearly as cool as the claymore.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:43 am

Oh, and a fuckin hammer and a nail is NOT an AOW.

BUT SOMETHING THAT'S DESIGNED TO SHOOT A SHOTGUN SHELL INTO YOUR FOOT, LEG, AND GROIN, IS.

You may not do federal time, but you can sure as shit bet that they would sue the crap out of your parents.

Don't be stupid.

(Just thought of something else, let's you going to stand there and watch this mine, what is somebody's crawling on the ground and they detonate it in their face?)
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby MySwan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:54 pm

So pretty much everyone agrees It's too dangerous and landmines in general are impracitcal. I'll stick to something else like a tripwire w/ airsoft grenade.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jewish Ninja » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:42 pm

MySwan wrote:So pretty much everyone agrees It's too dangerous and landmines in general are impracitcal. I'll stick to something else like a tripwire w/ airsoft grenade.

That's not entirely true. You could build a claymore style device using a couple of rat traps and some heavy duty fabric.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Rentax » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:07 pm

We do what we want
Rentax

Next

Return to Custom Projects