Help get me off!

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Help get me off!

Postby MySwan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I bought this AEG (EBB Classic Army M6A2) from a friend of mine who used to play on Phantom Fury. Long story short, they put this Noveske flash hider on the threads of the AEG and put some sort of material on it in order to keep it secure. I want the flash hider off but I have no idea what material this is nor do I know what will loosen it up. I have tried a heat gun at 350f cause i'm too much of a phony pony to go higher and then tried to take it off with a wrench with no luck. No I will not cut it off. Any help from you guys?
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Sledge

Re: Help get me off!

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:46 am

Ask the person You bought it from?
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby MySwan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:25 am

ClownBaby wrote:Ask the person You bought it from?

Oh my! If only I had thought of that one!
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby toobladink » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 am

Looks like jb weld.. I would just keep it like that if you aren't gonna cut it off.
toobladink
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby CarlitoCafe » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:26 pm

When fully cured, J-B Weld can only be removed by grinding or filing it off, or by directly heating the product above the 600 degree maximum temperature threshold. you can also try acetone but you will have to soak it for an extended period of time 5+ days=120hrs. good luck if there are treads in there you may never get it off or clean.
CarlitoCafe
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby MySwan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:58 pm

CarlitoCafe wrote:When fully cured, J-B Weld can only be removed by grinding or filing it off, or by directly heating the product above the 600 degree maximum temperature threshold. you can also try acetone but you will have to soak it for an extended period of time 5+ days=120hrs. good luck if there are treads in there you may never get it off or clean.

Thank you for the reply! More trouble than it's worth even though my heat gun could go over 600f. Might as well just buy a new one.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Blackhawk » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:44 am

Just buy a new outer barrel.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Hotdog Person » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:52 pm

just use hot dogs
Hotdog Person
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:17 am

OMG's Hotdogs back!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Steve » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:53 pm

+1 on the heat. Maybe.

Big questions are, do you want to keep the parts you are separating? Also, what are the materials they are made out of?

If that's JB-Weld, it'll over-cure and powder (eventually) between 600 and 1000 degrees. However, you may mess up your outer barrel and / or Noveske. The total crap shoot is the outer barrel material. The Noveske is almost certainly some flavor of aluminum. That means it's melting point is somewhere around 1200 degrees (F), plus or minus. The shitty thing is that the recrystallization temp of aluminum is right around 600 degrees (F), which is the point where deformation is really, really, easy. Like, you'll apply the tool and start tearing semi-liquid metal rather than unscrewing. Depending on what your outer barrel is made out of, it might be fine, or it might deform worse than the Noveske flash hider.

If you have access to it, you might be able to dunk it in liquid nitrogen and then hit it with a hammer. I'M NOT DOING THE MATH, by the way. I'm on vacation. But, here's the theory. When stuff gets cold, it shrinks. The outer diameter of the outer barrel will shrink. The flash hider inner diameter will expand. The JB Weld will glassify. Once it gets nice and cold, smacking the whole assembly should cause the JB Weld to fracture at least a little. Plus, there should be more clearance between the threads and the JB Weld. Applying force to the flash hider should eventually break it free, although you may need to cycle it a few times from room temp to cold to hot to cold. Realistically, probably cheaper to buy a new outer barrel, unless the liquid NO2 is free.

Last option would be to clamp the outer barrel and the flash hider somehow and subject the JB Weld area to vibrational stress until it fails. Like, clamp the whole thing into a lathe, MacGuyver-mount a screwdriver to a reciprocating saw, and as the assembly spins, have the screwdriver keep tapping on the side of the flash hider a couple of times a second near the JB Weld area (at a right angle to the spinning barrel assembly) for a couple of minutes / hours / days until the JB Weld has fatigue-failed. Then remove the Noveske and do whatever ninja-magic you have to in order to clean the rest of the JB Weld out of your threads.

Or, if you have a lathe, just cut the Noveske off and re-thread your now shorter outer barrel and cut your inner barrel down accordingly.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Return to Custom Projects