Home-Made Chronograph Guide!!!

Discuss your own custom works and projects here.

Postby DMitri » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:50 am

Excellent follow through.

I suggest editing your original post.
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Team: N/A

Postby DTas2 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:55 pm

Not only did i just find a amazing new AS site but i did the test and there are very similar to when i had my guns professionally chronographed.

My pistol came in at 258FPS and Professional Chronograph said 263 2 months ago.
My shot gun came in a 388FPS and Professional Chronograph said 394 2 months ago

Mind you with as often as I play I think that those few FPS could be from normal wear.
DTas2
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mobius » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Ive used this guide to chrono my guns and the next day I chronoed them at OP Mad Dog and teh overall average was the same. this is a great way of chronoing your guns

Props for the find
The Silver Dragon is to the 1911 as the GSX-R1000 is to the Grand Vitara. They'll both get you down the road, but one helps you compensate for your shortcomings. "sleepy"
Mobius

Postby Raging Hormann » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:24 pm

If you use physics you can find the amount of drag on a BB: first find the time it takes to go five feet. then find the theoretical time to go 15 feet. the you can find the difference in theoretical vs experimental and then you do some other stuff which I can't remember at this time. but you end up finding the amount of drag and that will help you find out how much it slows down at different distances. Basically all of the chrono and slowing down stuff from a scientific point of view.
R.I.P. Spc. Taylor Marks; Until We Meet Again
I'm so inappropriate, even I need an adult some times.
Eudorus wrote:...and simply show up and shoot everyone since all of these assholes are running around on our island.

SPECIAL FORCES J.A.D GROUP SINCE 2012
Raging Hormann

Postby Carpet » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:29 am

If you really felt like it you could count in the speed of sound, which actually makes a more than estimated differance in your final velocity.
Carpet
Specops
Specops

Postby Mobius » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:42 am

clay763 wrote:If you really felt like it you could count in the speed of sound, which actually makes a more than estimated differance in your final velocity.

Not true, Since you are placing the microphone at center the speed of sound is negated due to the time for the sound of the shot to reach the microphone and the time it takes for the sound of the hit to travel to the microphone being the same.
The Silver Dragon is to the 1911 as the GSX-R1000 is to the Grand Vitara. They'll both get you down the road, but one helps you compensate for your shortcomings. "sleepy"
Mobius

Postby monkman33 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:08 pm

Mobius wrote:
clay763 wrote:If you really felt like it you could count in the speed of sound, which actually makes a more than estimated differance in your final velocity.

Not true, Since you are placing the microphone at center the speed of sound is negated due to the time for the sound of the shot to reach the microphone and the time it takes for the sound of the hit to travel to the microphone being the same.

True.

I really like the amount of data presented here. I am going to go test my guns and keep track of the results compared to a "real" chrono.

Texhnically, this is a "real" chron too. All you are doing is using a differnt set of equipment to measure velocity. Great job!
Choose Two: Fast, Cheap, Reliable

If it is Cheap and Reliable... it isn't Fast
If it is Fast and Cheap... it isn't Reliable
If it is Reliable and Fast... it isn't Cheap
monkman33
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Allen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:51 pm

so if heavier bbs fire at slower fps do people use at .25g to chronograph at lower fps and then use .2g in the field. it would allow someone shooting at 415-420fps with .2g bbs to chrono under 400 with .25g bbs?
Allen
Soldier
Soldier

Postby PanzerFaust » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 am

Good points. The solution we've found is to keep hi-caps loaded with .20's AT the chronograph. People roll through with an empty magwell, slap in the chrono station mag and test with the correct weight bb's. Mags for most major platforms need to be represented at the station for that to really work.
PanzerFaust

Postby Mobius » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 am

Ideally thats how it would work however it doesnt always work that way and we rely on your word, you tell us you loaded up .2s and we trust youre telling the truth.

Allthough usually theyll give you a few .2s to chrono with. but every now and then theres someone there that can do the conversion in their head if you insist on firing .25s
Mobius

Postby Allen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:35 am

ok, sounds good
Allen
Soldier
Soldier

Postby andros » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Mau,

Realy nice project. We were just looking today for a low speed chrono and one we are using for paintball doesn't go below 100fps. And this one is realy accurate with quite nice scale.

By the way. I did check my AEG which on "pro" chrono clocks at 354fps and using this solution I had 357fps which is very accurate in my oppinion.

Can you also tell me what what is standard Vo of your AEG when you were testing it at 22.5feet. Mine on 5feet gave me result of 357fps but on 10feet velocity was 289fps. I'm going to make all the calculation tomorrow but just like to duble check.
andros
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Carpet » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:35 pm

monkman33 wrote:
Mobius wrote:

True.

I really like the amount of data presented here. I am going to go test my guns and keep track of the results compared to a "real" chrono.

Texhnically, this is a "real" chron too. All you are doing is using a differnt set of equipment to measure velocity. Great job!

Yea, missed that point he made about that earlier. Also, I did this for my JG BAR-10, came out to 190fps, so obviosly I did something wrong. Thing I wonder is how exactly do you know which wave is the impcat wave, because the wove shown in audacity is long and pretty even, I dont get waves as sharp as he does. Also in the latest pictures, he has a veery small part of the wave highlighted for time, how did he figure out to select that area?

So I redid it w/ a 5 foot distance, heres the pics, wondering if I did that right...

Image 350 w/ .2

Heres w/ .28 at 290

Carpet
Specops
Specops

Postby ATF_Malicious » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:11 am

Thanks for this great guide - ran my Drozd BB Machine Gun FPS by this method and it hits right about where I suspected it was. I posted your guide over at our forum for those that have high powered BB guns to use if they wished.

Sound File - http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm.php?get=535276645.wav

Anyway - appreciate the link - I realize we are dealing with two different caliber of guns - but all in all your information helped me determine FPS at home rather than heading down to the paintball shop or buying a chronograph.

-Mal
ATF_Malicious
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ZEUKI » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:15 pm

Big_red wrote:If you use physics you can find the amount of drag on a BB: first find the time it takes to go five feet. then find the theoretical time to go 15 feet. the you can find the difference in theoretical vs experimental and then you do some other stuff which I can't remember at this time. but you end up finding the amount of drag and that will help you find out how much it slows down at different distances. Basically all of the chrono and slowing down stuff from a scientific point of view.

here is another way to determine the drag on a projectile. Commonly used in reloading and compared to velocity to determine external ballistics for a particular load/bullet.

The formula for calculating the ballistic coefficient stated by wikipedia:

BC= m....=.....p X l
......Cd X A........Cd
where:
BC = ballistic coefficient
M = mass
A = cross-sectional area
Cd = drag coefficient
ρ (rho) = average density
l = body length

Lucky for those of us who are math illiterate the bullet manufacturers do it for us and put it on the box.
(disregard the periods they were used for spacing because I dont know how to write out mathmatical equasions)
ZEUKI
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Projects