Action Hero Costume Contest 2009 WINNERS!

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

Postby Sodak » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Harry-your digging yourself a grave and everyone has provided counter agruments to your points about who should or shouldn't have won. How about next year YOU make a costume and if people like it they will vote on it. If it is a good costume it will get a good score. If not, it wont. This is how all voting has been done. Its based on people opinions, and you are able to vote for who you want. And if a costume wasnt rated highly and was voted on by 100's of people, then obviously it isnt deserving of an award. We are all fair people here and if you disagree, no one is keeping you here on AP to continue to post and argue with members of the community.

I suggest that you take time instead of complaining about Gumby not winning, and congradulate those who did, because they, as well, put their time and effort into their costume.

And your right, the judges are completely bias and only choose what they like based on the genre...[/sarcasm].

Get over it Harry.
Awkward silence is what I strive for...
Sodak
Specops
Specops

Team: N/A

Postby Crusader 6 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Harry wrote:someone made fun of my ethnic name Dong. like it is a joke.

Harry Dong, if you don't see the humor in it then you need to lighten up a bit man. Nobody was making fun of you for being Asian, it's just a somewhat humorous first-last name combo. Much like someone named Mike Hawk, Mike Hunt, Harry Johnson, Jack Goff or anything of that sort, lighten up. I am good friends with a Vietnamese guy in my class, he makes fun of himself for being Asian, we joke around all the time. He knows it isn't serious and it's all in fun. You need a slap to the face if you can't learn to laugh at your own self.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. You didn't even submit a costume, why are you crying about anything? Don't be butthurt because of the judging when you didn't even submit a costume. Nobody wronged you, hell nobody was wronged at all. If you're going into a popularity contest, pick something that people will recognize. I'd think that would be obvious, but apparently not.
Crusader 6
Specops
Specops

Postby DMitri » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Harry's problem is that he's looking at this like it's a bleeding UFC match, where everything is structured based on points and no opinion is involved, needed, or allowed. UFC judges act more as score keepers, there is no opinion. The only similarity between the two is that there are multiple people involved.

Regardless of what scoring criteria and ratio are given at the end, it's still all opinion as there's no clear scoring for individual aspects of the costume. (e.g That hat is the wrong color -- minus 5 points, wrong gun -- minus 10 points, and so fourth.)

Dictionary.com wrote:ar⋅bi⋅trar⋅y
–adjective
1. subject to individual will or judgment without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion: an arbitrary decision.
Last edited by DMitri on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm

My buddy just came over and I showed him this thread. He said I am wrong and this is how costume contests are done. He said I am culturally retarded. So I trust him and I would like to apologize to anyone I offended. I would ask you give this foreigner a chance to understand you better and understand me better. I will open an intro thread later. I am sorry Matt.
I would also like to apologize to Hoff, grahmc ,cosmos, cosmos son and anyone I offended.
Congratulations to the winners. I will try to contribute in a better way. I thought my point was valid. I was shown it is not. Sometimes I get a hot head when people are angry with me. I'm sorry.
Last edited by Harry on Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Grunt
Grunt

Postby McNair » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:30 pm

I vote it's a troll.
McNair

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Apology accepted. I wish we could have avoided that whole mess of posts, but oh well. The contest is still fun, it's worth the drama. When there's prizes involved and decisions to be made, you can't please everyone. We understand that, and we have to live with it.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby ~SWOOP~ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:11 pm

UMmm for the record (i was gumby) i really didnt expect to win or place or anything (i took the pic on a camera phone for god's sake)......i was just looking for a chuckle or two.....besides, now I have a badass costume to wear to Haloween and zombie based games! Its a win-win! YAY!

And congrats to the winners! (I was pullin for ya ghosty man!!!!)
KWA M4A1 RIS
Echo 1 M249 MKII SAW "The lawn mower"
~SWOOP~
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi, can the Drama Llama come out to play? Oops looks like he already did. Darn. Yeah. So...

GO COSMOS and cross dressing son!
Bigfoot

Postby Nocte » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:40 pm

Harry wrote:DMitri- I am not an anime fan either. I can appreciate the hard work put into the costume which were made. Since I have made some good points and we are in agreement that the contest was not impartial, it makes me wonder if all the anger being directed at me is because I am vietnamese. I worked hard to get to this country. I am proud to be working on my citizenship. . Do not be so quick to judge me, I am nice guy
I know this because someone made fun of my name. It makes me sad to know so much hate

Actually, the anime cosplayers dominated most of the higher votes I gave. Nice try, though.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby Rabbit » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:41 pm

Cosmos wrote:By the way Precious my son proves that your gender need not dictate your costume choice. I know that it would be nice to stay within your own gender to feel more comfortable. I can think of more than a few awesome female action heroes. Two of them being from films by the same man(Luc Besson) as Leon The Professional. I don't want to completely give it away I want people to think about it and research themselves. I can't wait until next year.

You're suggesting a beautiful woman dressed as a man will be a serious contender in this contest? Are you trolling, or just smoking crack?
Rabbit
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nocte » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Precious wrote:Nocte- I was referring to the fact that it seemed like no one knew who HUNK was, ironically from the same game series as last year's winner.

I'll give you that one, partially. We had a HUNK (maybe two) last year. I think the fact that there's not a lot of people that played Resident Evil to the points at which HUNK is playable is to blame. Not everyone is as hardcore of a fan as to change their last name to something from the series. ;)

There were quite a few Weskers and I certainly remember another Jill Valentine attempt last year. I think video games are fairly safe for the mob votes, but you're better off sticking to the popular titles, if you ask me. I'm old enough to have played Final Fight when it came out, and I certainly remember the characters, but I'd wager that only the hardcore CAPCOM fans out there would get the reference. Get yourself a Cortana costume, on the other hand, and watch the votes sail in... granted, all of your costumes made it to the top 15, so... yeah.
ImageImage
Nocte

Postby Rabbit » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Nocte wrote:
Precious wrote:Nocte- I was referring to the fact that it seemed like no one knew who HUNK was, ironically from the same game series as last year's winner.

I'll give you that one, partially. We had a HUNK (maybe two) last year. I think the fact that there's not a lot of people that played Resident Evil to the points at which HUNK is playable is to blame. Not everyone is as hardcore of a fan as to change their last name to something from the series. ;)

There were quite a few Weskers and I certainly remember another Jill Valentine attempt last year. I think video games are fairly safe for the mob votes, but you're better off sticking to the popular titles, if you ask me. I'm old enough to have played Final Fight when it came out, and I certainly remember the characters, but I'd wager that only the hardcore CAPCOM fans out there would get the reference. Get yourself a Cortana costume, on the other hand, and watch the votes sail in... granted, all of your costumes made it to the top 15, so... yeah.

Cortana doesn't have a gun...

also, I believe the judging criteria was misleading, but that's my opinion.
I'll keep it in mind to only try to enter a costume from a very well know movie next time.
Rabbit
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cosmos » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Rabbit are really trying to call me out!?! Yes a beautiful woman can be made to look like a man. I have seen it time and time again in film, photo and performance art...even for halloween.
This is the only message board I use WTF is trolling? I am not trying to come down on anyone or argue for arguing sake. I just don't want to hear a bunch of sorry excuses as to why someone cannot participate in this incredible and fun contest. Give it a try give it some effort and have fun. If a lady pulls of the cross-gender thing then I imagine they will have a good chance at winning.

edit: you guys had great costumes that I am sure you are proud of and I thought they were great. I rated most of them very highly myself on their quality not my familiarity with them. I didn't come close to winning last year even though I thought my idea was good. I didn't boohoohoo all over the forum though.

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever."
-Carl Sagan
Cosmos
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Rabbit » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Yes, I'm calling you out over the internet...two men enter, one man leaves...

Ok, seriously now you need to calm down, I was just posting my opinion.
Btw, trolling is what Harry is doing making posts to get a reaction from you guys.

I'm happy that you won your first costume contest, but telling a beautiful woman that is an established costumer that she needs to dress up as a man just comes off as rude.

I really can't get mad at the judges for who they voted for, they were appointed by AP to vote the best they could, an they did. I was just pointing out that the judging rule criteria didn't seem to matter.
Rabbit
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Harry » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Rabbit- I was not trying to troll but genuinely get my point across. I have apologized for my rude behaviour.
I would agree with you that precious should not dress as a man. It would be a loss to us all.
Harry
Grunt
Grunt

PreviousNext

Return to Airsoft News