OP Grid 18: REDUX Video Live

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

OP Grid 18: REDUX Video Live

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:01 am

The video from OP: Grid 18 REDUX is now live. You can check it out on our YouTube channel or over on our video page. Wes Skotko shot and edited this one, with help from Ben Tannenberger running a second camera. This one turned out really fun, lots of hilarious moments as usual with some great action mixed in.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Voodoo Man » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 am

Sweet.
Voodoo Man
Specops
Specops

Team: DRAT

Postby KA-BAR » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 am

nice job, fun to watch.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Postby Variable » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am

Yay!
Variable

Postby Braddock » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:46 am

Wooot!!!
Braddock

Postby chapped » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:06 pm

Nice work Wes.
Looked like fun.

Your title sequence is pretty cool.
I'm trying to figure out what you did there. Looks like two video tracks with an alpha channel gradient. Now you see them, now they're ghosts.
Pretty cool.
There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Riddick » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:09 pm

Looks good. Good job guys.

uhaul trailers FTW!!
Riddick

Postby ogrejager » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Nicely done, although I could have done without my ugly mug getting interviewed. I'm a freakin' tactical genius! Or something.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Postby Scythe » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Not sure what the intention of the video was. It must be hard trying to follow the story with only two camera men, but if the video was supposed to encapsulate the feeling of the game into a short, cohesive, entertaining piece... I don't know.
It would be nice to have more light shed on the objectives, the exchange of intel, displays of team communication, and the progress of the game... If not in this one, for one in the future. I think the only informative parts were the fact that vehicles were in play, Father Starr injured, and Matt stating the odds at the beginning.
Nice quality though.
Lots of very interesting things happened in that game; there was juicy betrayal, inspirational speeches, shifting in power, the transportation of objects of interest, BOMB DEFUSING, and impressive combat that I didn't see in the video. Wonder where it all went or if it wasn't captured at all. One even might be inclined to point out the smile-inducing concentration on APST, but I saw them do crazy things and wilder n00b slaughter that was either emitted or missed!
Not meaning to be critical of the lack of action, movement, and content... I'm just curious as to why the video is edited that way. Casual feeling I guess?

A suggestion would be for the camera men to go back to bases and spawn points for intel, and if a team is being commanded to do an interesting mission or one that would attract a lot of enemy attention, follow the story. If there is a location that is known to be defended from heavy fire, follow the story. If something is whispered that a two-man team is going to try and do some recon, follow the story. Hearing people communicate to each other, not just pointing out the direction of hostiles, but also planning out strategy and situation reports give more meat and let people in on narrative chaos.

Like I said, I'm not dissing the video. I'm just interested in video art and concept, effective story-telling, and the capturing of atmosphere and setting and characters, that's all. Or should I just shut up and accept that it's just an airsoft video... Know what I mean?
Scythe
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cap n pickles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Very nice Matt!
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby Zeta Crossfire » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Nice job guy's, saw myself for a bit good work.
Zeta Crossfire
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Jenna - I agree 100%. In an ideal world, that's what we like to do. Unfortunately it doesn't always end up that way. That's my same gripe about lots of OP videos, both ones I have shot and many shot by others. But it's easier said than done because you have the random grab-ass and gaggle of Rambo newbs who aren't even worried about what the story is or what the objectives are. They just want to shoot.

To top that off, our uniforms are so diverse, how would anybody watching actually know what the sides are? (or remember if we told them) Half the time even the players don't know who's on their team. It's different with CQC, because you have a clear enemy and a clear objectives Those watching can wrap their head around who's the bad guy and who's the good guy.

At any rate, it's something we can strive for. I hope to have more story elements in the OP Belligerence video we have coming up, and hope to loop the media guys into the planning and the story before the game even happens. Hopefully that gives us enough to show more of what's actually going on.
Matt

Postby Tombstone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Whoa whoa whoa!
It's only been 7 months, be like the rest of the cool kids and release it "when you feel like it", bleeding over-achievers.
No expectations, No disappointment
Tombstone

Team: Mithril

Postby chapped » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:24 pm

Scythe wrote:Or should I just shut up and accept that it's just an airsoft video... Know what I mean?

Yes. ;)

Kidding aside, it is impractical to try and capture and produce a video for an outdoor, unscripted event of this nature.

The logistics of doing this would be a nightmare.
It could be done, but it would take an incredible amount of work and coordination.
That's alot to ask from a videographer who's only payment will be a thread a few pages long of "cool video," and "nice job."

It's pretty sad when you consider that you get a greater response for starting a thread filled with grammatical and/or spelling errors or having tits and posting an intro thread then you would for producing a video of the nature you suggest.

Most people just want to see themselves running around in battle rattle anyways.

Enjoy the video for what it is, and for what it is, it's good.
There is no justice.
There's just us.
chapped
Specops
Specops

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:20 pm

chapped wrote:Nice work Wes.
Looked like fun.

Your title sequence is pretty cool.
I'm trying to figure out what you did there. Looks like two video tracks with an alpha channel gradient. Now you see them, now they're ghosts.
Pretty cool.

Yeah, it was just a simple cross fade effect with a some color corrections done in FCP. Very simple and effective.
Bigfoot

Next

Return to Airsoft News