Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

Re: Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Postby Jerm_G » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:09 pm

also... the current issue regarding this potential law is not an AP problem. Those that this law focuses on are almost never AP members. They are the general public. There really is no way to target those people if they never intend to partake in the hobby.

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer." -Major I.L. Holdridge USMC
Jerm_G
Soldier
Soldier

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Regulate their sale and use as a legal category similar to firearms, rather than as toys.

Want to keep little Timmy's mommy from buying him an airsoft rifle at Big 5? Have her do a NICS check at the counter prior to purchase. Fix the problem at the point of sale, before you have to police dumbasses playing in suburban parks.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Team: N/A

Postby Orwell » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 pm

I'd be behind a law requiring background checks. That's utterly fantastic. That said, no licensing or registration of any kind. That would speak the wrong words.

Good luck, Matt.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Captain Fox » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 am

My question goes to whoever produced the ordinance:

"Did you develop this ordinance for child safety, or did you develop it to make things appear safer when in fact its just to write more tickets or make more judgements. I don't want to see a cop pointing a real assault rifle at some kid and scaring him half to death just because he has a foam dart gun and is shooting it at his own home-made paper target ever again, just because you wanted a new political smokescreen. Tell me truthfully, despite being a politician. Is this to protect me or just to make you look good."

I want the truth behind these kinds of things before I say I agree or disagree. Law Enforcement has been taking excessive steps against younger generations recently.
"Pablo" Jungle Express 2011
O.R.B "Fox"
"Shiny, lets be bad guys."
Captain Fox
Soldier
Soldier

Team: O.R.B.

Postby dos_Santos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 am

Good hearing you Matt, it was a good conversation and you represented us well...
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Postby PanzerFaust » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:19 am

Good job, Matt. Way to represent!
PanzerFaust

Postby TheAirsoftSaint » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 am

PanzerFaust wrote:Good job, Matt. Way to represent!

Very good, Matt. Nicely done. I'm glad your the head of this community with a head like that on your shoulders.
TheAirsoftSaint
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Infidel » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Just caught the story on the 6 o'clock news, nice presentation and great representation for the community Matt. Nice AP hat ;)
Infidel
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SOTA

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:39 pm

The news story that aired tonight is available online as well:
http://www.katu.com/politics/Adams-cons ... 34235.html
Matt

Team: APST

Postby drpepper475 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:52 pm

sorry about what i said i misunderstood what this was about. after watching the video i understand. thanks matt :)
"you guys might be winning ,but I'm having more fun"
drpepper475

Postby Zevian » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:33 am

Saw you on the news Matt. You should post that video of you in there, bring a little fame home to AP. :)
Zevian
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Matt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 am

I posted this on Facebook for the haters, but here it is again:

I don't agree with Adams' concern about criminals using replica firearms to commit crimes, what I'm concerned about are the Airsoft players. Irresponsible parents buy their kids Airsoft guns, allow them to paint over the barrel and then allow them to run around within city limits in plain view of the public with the replicas. I want to decrease the instances where a LEO has to draw his weapon on a kid playing Airsoft because he got a call that somebody is running around with an assault rifle in a neighborhood. Nobody wants to be in that position, not the LEO or the kid.

Not one person in Beaverton could give me a negative impact the ordinance has had on them or their ability to enjoy our hobby in the several years it as been in place, because the ordinance only enforces rules we've had on AP for 10 years. The ordinance will not stop criminals from committing crimes with replicas, but it will make parents think twice about their next purchase and the rules they will teach their kids about the appropriate places to play Airsoft. I wasn't misquoted Troy, there's absolutely no reason to be "Airsoft gaming" with realistic replicas within city limits in public view.

Safety is paramount in Airsoft and we want to make our police officer's jobs easier by not putting them in situations where they have to point a deadly weapon at a child. Even if that's NOT the reason why Adams is considering the ordinance, it's the reason why I support it.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby macewolf » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:30 am

Am I the only one that went "Ooo KITTY!"? but anyway good job Matt.
Luck often enough, will save a man, if his courage holds
macewolf
Grunt
Grunt

Postby NFS_Shadow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 pm

I was listening to a radio show this morning and the dj (he was a fill in) brought this up and proceeded to make a valid argument against this ordinance. (he must airsoft because he was very knowledgeable it seemed of our ways and the replicas.) Of course the seeming excessively liberal (not trying to hate on liberals) female dj kept pushing all the negative points (most of them not very good arguments), however it boils down to this. Laws like this (and others concerning gun control) only make the honest people even more honest. The criminals and scum of the world will still always get their hands on a gun if they wanna shoot someone no matter whats ordinances are in place. The kids who contributed to the creating of this ordinance in beaverton would still take their airsoft guns out and shoot at things whether there was an ordinance or not. this is why i'm very much against it. Although we (as a community) already comply to most if not all the changes it's still a hindrance, another bunch of political non-working nonsense.
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:22 am

I support ordinances like this. But, I have two reservations.

The first is that it is unlikely to actually accomplish the intent of the legislation. This would be more likely to succeed if instead of criminalizing posession and stupidity, it required an intervention at the point of sale. A NICS check at the point of sale would go further to keep airsoft guns out of the hands of unsupervised children, in much the same manner as having to buy them online kept them out of my hands when I was younger. Reducing accessibility to minors raises the educational bar while not keeping them entirely out of circulation.

The second objection is that this law, like many others already on the books, is unlikely to be enforced heavily. Selective enforcement and complex laws reduces the effectiveness of all legislation. We already have laws on the books to handle people who use replica firearms in the commision of a crime, so rather than passing new laws, let's enforce the ones we already have.

If the purpose of the law is to keep toy guns out of the hands of unsupervised children, let's find laws that actually succeed in this. If the object is to keep them out of the hands of criminals, then let's find ways of doing that. Like, for example, increasing the penalties for using a toy gun in the commission of a crime. Impose a minimum sentence that is double that imposed for using a real gun in the commission of the same crime, and it is less appealing to use a toy gun to rob a liquor store. Treat all airsoft guns as a subset of firearms, and bar purchase by felons just like with real guns, and back it with a NICS check.

This is not rocket science. Figure out what you actually want to accomplish with a law, and pass a law that actually does the things you want to do.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

PreviousNext

Return to Airsoft News