Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

Re: Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Postby McNair » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 am

drpepper475 wrote:it only takes one mistake to ruin it for everyone. i always use a gun bag and am careful with my replicas that dont have orange tips. hopefully this doesnt get taken any further.

Carrying your firearm(real or airsoft) from your car to your home without a gun bag isn't illegal.

This has nothing to do with gun bags.
McNair

Team: N/A

Postby drpepper475 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:33 am

it has to do with brandishing though
"you guys might be winning ,but I'm having more fun"
drpepper475

Postby McNair » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:04 am

drpepper475 wrote:it has to do with brandishing though

Yes, and what does "brandishing" mean?
McNair

Postby Orwell » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:39 am

I don't make this argument in an effort to suggest that we should all tote our replicas around the city on slings. Matt, I completely agree that those kids are exercising their darwinian ability to lose their sight.

Junto - you said it works in Beaverton and has been AP policy, and I guess that this is what rubs me wrong. It's a fantastic policy. It really, really is. But it's not the government's job to maintain this kind of policy. It's the job of responsible, aware citizens.

It's the same with gun control. People legally aren't allowed to do all kinds of things. That doesn't stop criminals.

An ordinance to prevent harm to kids spurred on by a criminal getting shot after committing a criminal act is a sham to generate political buzz. It's all about polls and getting elected, not about saving kids from danger.
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Claymore » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 am

Good for you Matt, I look forward to listening to the episode on podcast.
Abu Dhabi Aviation
OAA - Founding Member
Raised - 1-18-6006 Anno Lucis
Claymore
Soldier
Soldier

Team: RAC 5

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:13 am

I looked up the definitions of display and brandish before posting.

Display:
Make a prominent exhibition of (something) in a place where it can be easily seen.

Brandish:
Wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement.

Prominent means:
standing out so as to be seen easily

Unfortunately the link Matt posted didn't have the actual law attached and I couldn't find it when I looked. But it is pretty clear when it says 'display' and not 'visible' that you don't need to tote your guns in a bag when moving from your house/appt to your car. Just limit the exposure time and don't have your figure on the trigger.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Russkie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Oregon is an open carry state, so there is no problem carrying your gun around as long as you're not running around waving the gun.
Russkie
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Matt » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:26 pm

McNair wrote:
drpepper475 wrote:it only takes one mistake to ruin it for everyone. i always use a gun bag and am careful with my replicas that dont have orange tips. hopefully this doesnt get taken any further.

Carrying your firearm(real or airsoft) from your car to your home without a gun bag isn't illegal.

But you could have an Airsoft gun with features that would be illegal if it were a real firearm. In which case they would cause more suspicion from the public. It's not exactly like putting your hunting rifle or your shotgun in your truck, most of us have assault rifles.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Rogue Reaper » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:33 pm

Russkie wrote:Oregon is an open carry state, so there is no problem carrying your gun around as long as you're not running around waving the gun.

Not in Oregon City, Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, and Newport. Now if you have a CCW you can carry open in those cities.
I Like My Motorcycles Loud And My Firearms Quiet. ~ Me
Rogue Reaper

Postby Evil Zergling137 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Matt wrote:
McNair wrote:

But you could have an Airsoft gun with features that would be illegal if it were a real firearm. In which case they would cause more suspicion from the public. It's not exactly like putting your hunting rifle or your shotgun in your truck, most of us have assault rifles.

They look exactly the same. The real ones are just semi only. Its not like putting your M4 in your gun rack is really any different than your shotgun or bolt.
Evil Zergling137
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:04 pm

HartThrob wrote:But it's not the government's job to maintain this kind of policy.

I thought that was the entire point of police officers. To enforce policies.

Also look up the legal definition of brandish as it may differ from the actual definition or the word.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Cosmos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:19 pm

My concern is that I have an A-hole for a neighbor who does not hesitate to call police or city to complain about any little thing that bugs him. We built a shed in the backyard and he called city and told them we were building an apartment :roll: now we've been having to deal with permit office for awhile. We live on a hill and he has a clear view into our backyard eventhough we do have a 6 foot tall perimeter fence. I do test fire in my backyard. If he gets wind of a new ordinance banning replicas in public, he WILL call police and I WILL be harassed. I am not in public, he just has a peeping toms dream of a view into our property. I support the promotion of safety and anything that will help keep the reputation of our hobby clean. However I am concerned that my right to safely fire my replicas on my own property will run the risk of being infringed upon.

"We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it's forever."
-Carl Sagan
Cosmos
Soldier
Soldier

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Gator » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Asshole neighbors suck. My neighbor seriously will call the cops if i do anything he doesnt like. He threw a rock at my dog because it was barking. One time the cops were called when i was test firing in my backyard. My parents informed the cop it was Airsoft and it wasnt real. But i could see it turning into a problem.
Gator
Soldier
Soldier

Team: 5 Reg.

Postby DJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:33 pm

This is the catch all law that frequently gets used in a situation ( see sub section g). An over zealous LEO can make it pretty onerous if they want to. I would encourage all of you to use the utmost discretion when handling replicas in public or in the sight of . There are plenty of knuckle heads who brandish replicas in vehicles. In my career I responded to many " man with a gun " calls only to find out it was an airsoft gun. Came close to popping 2 on traffic stops.

Oregon Revised Statutes Chapter 166

166.025 Disorderly conduct in the second degree. (1) A person commits the crime of disorderly conduct in the second degree if, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof, the person:
(a) Engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior;
(b) Makes unreasonable noise;
(c) Disturbs any lawful assembly of persons without lawful authority;
(d) Obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic on a public way;
(e) Congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse;
(f) Initiates or circulates a report, knowing it to be false, concerning an alleged or impending fire, explosion, crime, catastrophe or other emergency; or
(g) Creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which the person is not licensed or privileged to do.
(2) Disorderly conduct in the second degree is a Class B misdemeanor. [1971 c.743 §220; 1983 c.546 §5; 2001 c.104 §55; 2005 c.631 §1]
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby McNair » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Matt wrote:
McNair wrote:

What features on our airsoft rifles would be illegal here that are identified by sight?
McNair

PreviousNext

Return to Airsoft News