Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Read and comment on recent Airsoft News happenings. Also found on the main page of the website.

Re: Replica Gun City Ordinance Poll for Portland

Postby Orwell » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:30 am

Problem is, you need rocket science to get reelected. This isn't about saving kids or stopping criminals. If one of those gets accomplished along the way, that's all well and good. It's about votes.

EDIT: Watched the video. Nice! I gotta say, since reading your arguments, Matt, I agree with you. This kind of ordinance can't hurt much, and it will potentially help keep children (and grown-up children, :P ) safer. I harbor only mild, 1 in 1 billion odds scenarios for concerns now, which means I'll shut up about this being a problem. :)
Orwell
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 am

NFS_Shadow wrote:Laws like this...only make the honest people even more honest.

How so?
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:38 am

NFS_Shadow wrote:The kids who contributed to the creating of this ordinance in beaverton would still take their airsoft guns out and shoot at things whether there was an ordinance or not.

Well if that's your attitude, then we may as well delete the rules page here on AP and just let everyone do whatever the hell they want because "they're just gonna do it anyway." Don't forget, it's not always up to the kids. You can't buy Airsoft guns if you are under 18, now that parent has to be willing to purchase that AEG for their child knowing that such an ordinance is in place. And plenty of people will know, word gets around. We're talking about it here, it's been on the radio, and it's been on TV. Hell, Portland hasn't even officially proposed the ordinance and it's all over the media. I could only hope that the rules here on Airsoft Pacific could get such publicity, maybe some of you bastards would actually pay attention :)
Matt

Team: APST

Postby DJ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:56 am

Ivan Daylovich wrote:

How so?

I think what he is trying to say is only law abiding people follow the laws. Take a look at every school shooting over the past say....20 years......do you think any one of the perps gave at flying crap about any of the laws on the book? Yet every time some one gets shot, the anti gun types have an orgasm trying to "make us safer " by trying to enact more gun laws.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:39 pm

DJ wrote:
Ivan Daylovich wrote:

How so?

I think what he is trying to say is only law abiding people follow the laws.

Which is the definition of law abiding...
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby NFS_Shadow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:30 pm

yes that is essentially what i meant ivan ^ the people who will obey this are already probably wise enough to be smart about transporting and other aspects of airsoft guns in city limits.

Matt what i meant is i'm in high school, and while i always try to be as safe as possible when transporting my replicas or even shooting them in my back yard (i live in the country but still i'm careful) i know of incidents in my own town where kids have been stupid enough to take their airsoft guns out and walk around with them in public, i've even heard of cases where people have shot at cars with airsoft guns. This is the reason why we are misunderstood (or so i believe) the kids that have their parents buy them replicas and never truly are involved with our community. They don't share the same values, and love for the sport/hobby as we do. Correct me if i'm wrong but i once heard that to even own a replica in i think Ireland, you have to be involved in the airsofting community on a regular basis and attend a certain amount of organized events per year. While a system like this would greatly reduce the amount of new blood among the ranks it would solve our problem, i'm not for something like that though. We do however need stricter rules regarding the purchase of replicas. Just a random idea but what about the possibility of say a course to go over the aspects and laws regarding replica ownership during which a complete background check could be performed, like a hunters safety course. Any thoughts about something like that? just throwing it out there
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby STRIK3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 am

http://www.koinlocal6.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=3403775

KOIN 6 news aired a followup story on this issue and our very own AONW got its 15 minutes of fame :)
ISAF-C, The 144, Rushing Russians OR/Willamette Valley KВДВ

http://www.facebook.com/ExecutiveRiskControlServices
STRIK3
Ranger
Ranger

Team: RR KBAB

Postby McNair » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:47 am

I noticed they were smart enough to keep childs hidden away.
McNair

Postby Matt » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:14 am

Good job AONW. Wow they really like using the word "Ban" a lot. Beaverton says "it's not a ban." But KOIN6 is all "BAN BAN BAN BAN BAN."

I can agree that there are already laws in place regarding firearms, but Airsoft and Firearms are going to need their separation of Church and State here pretty soon. If we keep going down the firearms road we're going to have even more regulations that come with firearms. There's good things that could come out of Airsoft being recognized as it's own thing. Parents who aren't up on firearms still have kids who want Airsoft guns, their first thought might not be to go brush up on the local firearms laws. Why would they? Retailers and manufacturers call them "Toys." So it's just a toy? No need to worry about laws, right? But if an ordinance names Airsoft specifically, it's a different story.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby NFS_Shadow » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:39 am

I shipped a g96 to a buyer in California yesterday (yes i got the money first) and any time i've shipped a airsoft gun you will run into problems if you refer it to as a gun. If i however "classify" it as a toy i can ship it without issue. I like matts idea of airsoft being completely separate from firearms. They do get bunched into the classification of "guns" i even referred to it as a gun above, of course they look like guns (the point) but if you go to a store they are sold with the real firearms.
Cloudy rains: "I am the master handjob-man."

"Well we're surrounded. They can't get away this time"
- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
NFS_Shadow
Ranger
Ranger

Team: 56Th

Postby Osprey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:21 pm

Just last Sunday I caught six kids(about 9 to 12 years old) playing with the replicas in a parking lot of the church. Next to the High School in Molalla. It also happens my house sit right across from the street from the Church and the High School. Long story short I walked over to these kids(I put on Eye pro first), and I told them what they were doing wasn't save. I told them to ether stop or go some where else that was not in the public view. I did get some sarcastic responses, but I didn't leave until they left. To them I might of look like an complete asshole. The good news they stopped. Bad news is for how long. You would think that the parents would think letting there kids play near a high school with airsoft guns was a bad idea.

Now I know that getting them to stop was probably none of my business, but getting them to stop now. Could make them think twice on doing it again in the future. But lets just say they an up doing it again. The next person to stop them isn't a friendly neighbor, but a cop with a gun.
A man can be destroyed but not defeated.
- Ernest Hemingway
Osprey
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Pork » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 am

STRIK3 wrote:http://www.koinlocal6.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=3403775

KOIN 6 news aired a followup story on this issue and our very own AONW got its 15 minutes of fame :)

I would say its like 1.5 minutes of fame. Literally. But in all sense, when they mean banning airsoft guns in public, do they also mean the prohibition of selling airsoft guns? I mean, that would be a blow to the airsoft industry especially any business that will be affected in Portland. Needless to say that AONW wouldnt be affected because they are situated outside city limits.
Pork
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spazgar » Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 am

Osprey wrote:Just last Sunday I caught six kids(about 9 to 12 years old) playing with the replicas in a parking lot of the church. Next to the High School in Molalla. It also happens my house sit right across from the street from the Church and the High School. Long story short I walked over to these kids(I put on Eye pro first), and I told them what they were doing wasn't save. I told them to ether stop or go some where else that was not in the public view. I did get some sarcastic responses, but I didn't leave until they left. To them I might of look like an complete asshole. The good news they stopped. Bad news is for how long. You would think that the parents would think letting there kids play near a high school with airsoft guns was a bad idea.

Now I know that getting them to stop was probably none of my business, but getting them to stop now. Could make them think twice on doing it again in the future. But lets just say they an up doing it again. The next person to stop them isn't a friendly neighbor, but a cop with a gun.

Hell no Osprey, don't say its not your job. you did what any responsible person with half a brain would do. if you would have been like all these bad neighbors i just read about, they would just call the cops, i could see that as a huge problem right. I know i'm new up north but guys i came from sourthern California, there are kids and gang-bangers and others running around down there with airsoft weapons and its out of control. you really dont hear about it on the news but it happens. I was in federal law enforcement and i can tell you i dont know how many times i almost shot some dumbass that thought it would be funny to point a airsoft gun at my patrol car. talk about heart racing. nothing like surviving a couple of combat tours to iraq to come home and look at someone with a gun pointing it at you and they think its funny.

@Matt. dude your a badass. right on. i wish i could be more supportive for all you guys but im stuck up in astoria with a broke truck.

my whole thought on this situation is there could be good things and bad things that could happen. if the guys in beaverton say theres really no problem cause all you AP guys have your shit together then no worries. for all you guys that live in suburbia sorry but you have to deal with tool head neighbors or maybe you could go talk to them with your parents. try to make it neutral instead of your a tool head stop being a peeping tom. its America and you do what you want here.
spazgar
Grunt
Grunt

Previous

Return to Airsoft News