Getting into airsoft in the PACNW

New to Airsoft Pacific? Start here, read the RULES thread and please feel free to introduce yourself.

Getting into airsoft in the PACNW

Postby Beran » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:20 pm

I've noticed a large amount of new players lately, and an influx of questions as to what a new player to my great sport of airsoft will need to effectively get started. So I thought I might think up as helpful a list as I could to lessen the amount of times the question is asked. Any helpful additions from other vets are welcome.

Here is a list of what I consider to be the absolute bare minimum primary things a new player to the sport will need (this list is PACNW specific, but should also fit for similar climates)

1. Your replica. Any AEG, gas or spring replica will work so long as it meets the safety rules. For further info, check these links:
Guide to AEGs/Electrics
Cheap Sniper Rifles and the Noob
You will however be far better served by a decent quality AEG.

2. Eye protection. I almost forgot this one, because its mandatory anyways. ANSI rated eyepro is required everywhere.

3. Ammo/magazines. Enough ammo storage capacity (either several standards or one or two hicaps) to keep you shooting for the day, or at least for a major engagement. Reloading your one standard mag in combat every couple of minutes will get old fast. Decent ammo (at LEAST 0.20g of good quality) will serve you well, and shouldn't kill your gun.

4. Consumables. Enough battery/gas reserves to keep you shooting for the day.

5. Good boots. Cant be said enough. Your ankles and feet will thank you.

6. Durable clothing. Camo isn't necessary, but will definitely help. Something dark if you don't have camo. During the winter, something waterproof is a good idea.

7. Water/food. Food isn't always necessary, but it can be nice to snack on something between firefights. Water is necessary. Dehydration sucks. Not soda, water.

8. Something to carry it all in. Tac gear, web gear, cargo pockets, whatever.

9. A good attitude. It sounds corny, but it helps more than you know.

Hopefully this helps some of the newer players to our community.
Let your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
Beran

Team: APST

Postby Osmo » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:11 am

After you have some gear, the best way to actually get started airsofting is to show up to a public game listed in the Pacific Northwest Games/Events forum. Be sure you give yourself enough time to find the field and have your mags loaded and batteries charged BEFORE arriving.

At the field, most players will be friendly and answer any questions you may have. This includes understanding the rules and expectations for the game as well as general advice. Find someone who looks like they know what they're doing and introduce yourself.
Osmo
Ranger
Ranger

Team: APST

Postby Zepher » Tue May 06, 2008 9:41 pm

Solid Advice
I learned quickly how beneficial it is to have enough battery to last a match. travleing 4 hours to play for 3 isnt fun
Zepher
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Ivan Daylovich™ » Tue May 06, 2008 9:46 pm

Death rags should be highly recommended if not required.
Ivan Daylovich™

Team: {FAG}

Postby Ryu Arcturian » Wed May 07, 2008 8:45 am

death rags or at least proper knowledge about how to act when your dead

eg: dead men don't talk, and don't' hold your gun in an aggressive or ready stance (carry above your head, on your back etc...)
ImageImage
I'm quoting myself because what I have to say is THAT IMPORTANT -Alex Kaeda
Ryu Arcturian
Specops
Specops

Re: Getting into airsoft in the PACNW

Postby NardsSteph » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:35 am

Thanks for the advice its really big help for me to play it easy.
NardsSteph
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 am

Great info everyone!
One item that I did not see and is required at almost all local field today is face protection. Some go all the way with paintball style masks, personally I find them very restrictive.

Start with a simple mesh mask, lots of options out there and than ask other players what they like 8)
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Braddock » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:37 am

I never wore a silly mask back in the day, and I only got my tooth shot out once. :lol:

I still wouldn't wear a mask.
Braddock

Postby Beauregard42 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:34 am

Is the old-fashioned Daisy air rifle allowed in airsoft? I'm a guy who hasn't done any airsoft yet, but is considering trying it.

Specifically, the gun that my dad bought for me and my siblings is a Red Ryder carbine, 4.5mm.

It works quite well with steel BBs, and I haven't tried plastic ones yet. I made a bayonet for it which is detachable, and stores inside the gun's lower tube, which is purely for decoration.

-----------------------------------

Also, is there any airsoft training meet-ups occurring this year?
73! DE KK7MPR, Beauregard42.
Beauregard42
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Introductions and Orientation