[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4796: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4798: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4800: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
New guy with questions! - Introductions and Orientation

New guy with questions!

New to Airsoft Pacific? Start here, read the RULES thread and please feel free to introduce yourself.

New guy with questions!

Postby sg1freak » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Hey everyone,
My name is Ryan and I have recently been introduced into the MilSim side of Airsoft. I have a couple of crappy AEG rifles and a little experience with friends out in the woods, but I still have a lot to learn. I stumbled upon this sport a while ago but I’ve only started to get serious in the last month. I don’t have any friends active in the community, so the best I can do to learn at the moment is watch YouTube videos and do a little research. I have been looking to purchase a higher quality AEG rifle to get into this sport; more specifically an M4 replica. The only problem is that I don’t know what to buy. Do you guys have any recommendations towards what gun I should buy and where to buy it? I have around $400 I’m willing to put towards a rifle and any other gear you think I should have. I’m a blank slate, so any advice is helpful!

On a different note, where can I jump in and play? I would love to start playing with others who would be willing to deal with a new player who’s still learning. My goal is to progress enough in this sport to participate in the larger MilSim operations, but at the moment that doesn’t seem feasible.

I’m looking forward to your advice and I can’t wait to be a part of this!

Thanks!
Ryan
sg1freak
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: New guy with questions!

Postby ClownBaby » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:56 pm

Hey Ryan, welcome!

Telling us what city or town you live in will be helpful.

Good job on telling us your experience level and current gear situation.
Usually we tell new players to get a G&G, but with $400 you will be able to get a very decent replica!
I'd look into a Krytec for an M4, or if you're not totally set on an M4 style, the Skorpion Evo is pretty damn cool!

Both of those guns will operate superbly out of the box.

Riddick's game in October at Camp Riley, would be a good start for a more so than not milsim game.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby sg1freak » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:29 pm

sg1freak
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:44 am

You should be fine, they'll be plenty of younger players there, I'm sure.

At that game, or any game for that matter, if you need help, or don't know what to do, or what's going on, just ask. If that person doesn't know what's up, turn to the next person with the most gear on, and ask them.
Making it to the briefing helps reduce the need for this.

Mil-sim is about working with teams, not so much doing what you want. So, it's important to remember to try and take your ego out of it, and listen to the people above you. Those are the people who are trying to make decisions that will keep you alive, even though sometimes it my not feel like they've got your best interests in mind, LOL!
Some dudes don't like following orders, (those are usually the ones that shazaam up & get everybody killed) but it can be kinda nice to just focus on your little area, (lookup "area of responsibility" as it pertains to CQB) and just wait to be told who/when/what to shoot at.
Just remember to be respectful, and follow direction.

Don't brake shit that don't need broke.
It's really fun to break shit, come on, IT'S AWESOME! But in most cases, you won't be allowed to just get all Jackie Chan in the AO. It will generally be discussed before hand, individually for each OP and/or AO.
Follow these instructions as well, it can get you kicked out of the game.

Don't litter. How the shazaam you kids gonna be special ops badasses, if you leave a snail trail of skittles wrappers and Gatorade bottles. That ain't ghost at all!
What goes in, comes out.
Leave only BB's... ohh, I want that on a t-shirt!

READ EVERYTHING, MULTIPLE TIMES! Learn the rules of EACH game. Every game/host/AO is different, know what's going on before you get there. Pay particular attention to medical rules.

Learn how to use a deathrag properly.

And when speaking on the field, or responding to a question, SPEAK UP! Pretty frustrating to not be able to hear or understand someone cuz they're using their "safe civilized" voice. I need to fuckin hear you, I know you're gonna hear me!
And I've literally seen, many times, the OPFOR crumble just from people using good, audible fire and maneuver commands. Get Sum
Last edited by ClownBaby on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:47 am

Oh, and there's quite a few peeps in Corvallis, I believe.
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby sg1freak » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the information! I can't wait to get started. I will probably be ordering the Krytac CRB in a couple of days. What other gear do you recommend? I know I have to buy eye/face/body protection, but what is the best?
sg1freak
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ogrejager » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:05 pm

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Cyclops » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:07 pm

simple eye pro and half face mask. A basic chest rig for starters is always good. Extra hi cap mags with 2 or 3 sets of batteries with a GOOD charger. I'm still a fan for the budget of the G&G Raider. Money goes quick when you start out with the bigger boys. Go slow and order what you need to just play a basic game. Observe what others are wearing and don't be afraid to ask them questions. Like 90% of them will help you out on questions of their gear.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby ogrejager » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:30 pm

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby sg1freak » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:42 pm

sg1freak
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyclops » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:59 pm

Raiders will last you a LONG time and down the road it is easy to upgrade! As for camos look at airsplat.com for cheap multi cam or woodlands. They go anywhere from $1 to $50 a set. But remember you get what you pay for. But it is a good start. Some gear you can find cheap as well on here or craigslist. Some like to haggle if you want to go that route just make sure you know about the product before you do this.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby sg1freak » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 pm

I just looked up the Raider and wow! It is much cheaper than the Krytac CRB! Is there any reason why the raider is half the price of the CRB? Do you have a preferred set of camos or will almost anything work?
Thanks a lot for the help!
sg1freak
Recruit
Recruit

Postby ClownBaby » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Your gun is your most important part of your kit, period.
So what happens is people try and get the cheapest gun they can, then it shits the bed, and they either spend another $100-200 for repairs and upgrades.(and those repairs don't always stay working very long, depending on the quality/compatibility of the gun itself)
Or they go out and buy another cheapish gun, or a really expensive gun, and by the end, they've spent more than they would have if they just woulda gone for the gold in the first place.

NOT TO MENTION THE FUCKIN HEADACHE!!!
(now that being said, I have a G&G also, and it's never bonked out on me, but it's definitely a stock weapon, and does NOT perform at the same levels as a custom weapon.)

Your camo, chest rig, hydro, whatever else, should be secondary.
Excluding your eyepro, of course. If you're paying retail, shoot for the $40 and up range. Companies like Revision, ESS, Smith, something reliable, not crap. Do not go for something like what Evike has on their YouTube channel, the super low-profile ones. They WILL fog incessantly, unless you're falling out of an aircraft of some kind, or your on a motorcycle. THEY SUCK!
Get something wide enough to put a fan(s) on.
Those of us who run fans never fog, and I see at least a half dozen people, every game, sitting in spawn, typically pissed, rubbing the shit outta their lenses, and running around lookin for fog spray.
Saddening. (that used too be me)
First day I had my fan hooked up, all I could do is run around giggling while capping foolz. THAT was a very a very good feeling.
Hahaha I'm no sadist, am I?

Unless your one of those lizard like humans that never perspire.

Gun first, then eyepro, then a way to carry your shit, then camo. You can find woodland camo used for really cheap at thrift stores, and as far as NATO camo, I'm sure you could find some used multi-cram either here, craigslist, or at the upcoming winter expo. (kind of a swap meet for airsoft) :D
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cyclops » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Every gun you will upgrade or change something with it. If you were to get the Raider I suggest the short version and get a 6.01 tight bore barrel 363mm long. This will be bigger then what you have so then you get a mock silencer or something to cover the barrel.
It doesn't matter what gun you get you will change the barrel I'm sure. BUT with the raider it is cheap enough to give you a decent gunand down the road you can buy a better one. That way you know what you do and nt like about your current set up. Then the raider is a decent back up gun.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:04 pm

Just reread my last post, and found something funny/not funny at all.

When people are sitting in spawn cleaning their goggles, they're not wearing them!
Which would be fine, if nobody ever shot into spawn. LOL FOREVER

And both the Krytec and the Scorpion come with TBB's (tight bore barrel) and IDK about taking eyepro advice from a guy with one eye? Teasing you Cyclops. ;)
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Introductions and Orientation