Complete noob here

New to Airsoft Pacific? Start here, read the RULES thread and please feel free to introduce yourself.

Complete noob here

Postby [-Mossie-] » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Hey everyone!

I'm a complete noob to airsoft here and I hope to get into the sport. Currently I have no gear and I don't know what to look for so I figured I might be able to get some help here! First of all, I have a few questions about gear and money. I'm looking at about a $300 setup that includes the essentials like a gun, mags, pouches, and BB's. Is that too much if I'm only getting started? I'm not sure if that's too much though. The gun I've been looking at is a P90 from Cyber gun, and the reviews seem pretty promising. Would it be a good, reliable gun to use in indoor fields? Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to learn more about this community and the sport/hobby of airsoft! :)
-Victor
[-Mossie-]
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Complete noob here

Postby Chainmail » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 am

If you play mostly indoors this is a good guide for a setup for under $200.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3PsMbJiNw

If you play outdoors mostly this is a good guide for a setup under $300.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J2Oxpo5mZc
Chainmail
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:57 am

Welcome Aboard!

I'd go AR or AK.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Chainmail » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:23 pm

ClownBaby wrote:Welcome Aboard!

I'd go AR or AK.

True dat.
Chainmail
Grunt
Grunt

Postby MillerSA15 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am

[-Mossie-] wrote:Hey everyone!

I'm a complete noob to airsoft here and I hope to get into the sport. Currently I have no gear and I don't know what to look for so I figured I might be able to get some help here! First of all, I have a few questions about gear and money. I'm looking at about a $300 setup that includes the essentials like a gun, mags, pouches, and BB's. Is that too much if I'm only getting started? I'm not sure if that's too much though. The gun I've been looking at is a P90 from Cyber gun, and the reviews seem pretty promising. Would it be a good, reliable gun to use in indoor fields? Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to learn more about this community and the sport/hobby of airsoft! :)
-Victor

Airsoft is 90% fashion show, so get whatever gun you think is cool, ignore the people who say otherwise.

Cybergun is a re-branding company, so some of "their" stuff is total garbage. Based on reviews it looks like this is not one of those times. Cybergun also rebranded CYMA's Thompson, which is a great gun, and based on what I could find online CYMA is also the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) of this P90. They make good stuff, so it is a good gun choice in general.

In terms of buying a full set up when you are just getting started, sometimes that works well, sometimes it doesn't. If you never use it though, save your money. What I mean by this is, you might feel really excited about airsofting now while you're shopping, but after you get everything decide you just aren't that into it, then you have $300 of stuff that you don't use.

My advice would be to buy the gun and play some airsoft with friends, make new airsoft friends, and just generally try it out for a little while. Most places allow you to use a hi-cap magazine, and TM makes a pretty good one for the P90. If you get two of those and an extra battery you can play pretty much all day in street clothes by sticking that spare magazine in your back pocket or a jacket pocket.

After you have made some airsoft friends you are bound to make a friend or two with tons of gear that will let you try stuff out, even if only for a few minutes, that will let you better know what you like and what you don't like.

Just my $.02

Have fun, be safe, welcome to the community!
MillerSA15
Ranger
Ranger

Team: SOTA

Postby FishSlapRepublic » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:20 am

People say the P90 isn't a good starter gun but I think if you are sure you want it it's great. I bought the original Tokyo Marui before the cheaper clones came out and it's a nice platform in you dig it's odd form and function.

Here's a short list of pros and cons of airsoft P90's in general.

Pro's
Compact yet still having a decent length barrel

Nothing really sticks out of it so it doesn't get snagged on brush or bump around when indoors so much

Easy to check ammo of your mags. Stock mags are transparent you just lift is up real quick to get a peek of how much you have left. Most aftermarket mags are fully transparent so you just need to glance at it to check.

Mags will feed every last BB. Most airsoft guns waste 2-4 bbs that don't feed every time you change a mag.

Easy to work on. Gearbox, inner barrel, hopup can all be accessed super fast and easy.

Cons

Not as many external parts to customize with.

Internal parts not always available locally but usually online

Mags may be difficult to find

It's odd. Odd shape, the way you hold it, the way you reload it's all unique to the P90. If you dig it great but I highly recommend getting a hold of one first to see in you like the feel of it.

Overall I most P90 AEG's are good, if you decide to pick one up I would grab a box set of "MAG" or "King Arms" brand midcaps but I'm bias because to me hicaps are the devil. After that you should check out the swap meet coming the 28th of this month at "Oregon Airsoft Arena" you could probably pick of the gear you need there for great deal. Being new I don't recommend buying any used airsoft guns there as you need to know what to look for and know the red flags of a bad deal. Though camo, pouches ect are pretty straight forward so swap meets are great for that stuff.

I'll be at the swap meet on the 28th and I would be happy to give you more advice if you need it. I'll be the long haired dude in Desert Flecktarn.
One mag one kill.
FishSlapRepublic
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Norseman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:13 pm

Most Milsim operations are based on AR (good guy) vs AK (bad guy) scenarios.

Some organizations are lax and allow you to play with whatever AEG you brought. Many are not....

Just food for thought.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Return to Introductions and Orientation