UAV

Discussion of vehicles or mock-vehicles for use in Airsoft scenarios. Gear-heads welcome!

UAV

Postby SierraTango » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:28 am

I have seen some posts on here about having an unmanned aerial vehicle and here is the best bet. I have done almost every ounce of research I can and this seems to be the best bet. Now, if your really gonna do it, you might as well do it 100% right?

Here's your 100%

http://www.elbitsystems-us.com/unmanned-aerial-solutions/skylark-i-le/

or

http://www.uavfactory.com/

If you have questions regarding the UAV aspect, feel free to shoot me a PM or respond to the post.
SierraTango
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: UAV

Postby Alien_Hunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 am

Better get one now before they're regulated.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

Keep in mind that most players don't have the cash to run something like this. We have a RC helicopter with a camera on it pointing downward with a 7" monitor on the controller. Was going to use this at LOW7 but plans didn't fall thru for my buddy that was coming out. Would have been cool tho and didn't break the bank.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Mindspeed » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Cyclops wrote:Keep in mind that most players don't have the cash to run something like this. We have a RC helicopter with a camera on it pointing downward with a 7" monitor on the controller. Was going to use this at LOW7 but plans didn't fall thru for my buddy that was coming out. Would have been cool tho and didn't break the bank.

He would have been pissed with all the holes in his chopper.
Mindspeed
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alien_Hunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:02 pm

My neighbor and I have joked that we should spy on our everything-deficient neighbor with his iPhone operated UAV heli. This is a 30 year old somebody who yells and screams at his children while getting high and watching shows on Nick Jr. :shock:
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cyclops » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:33 pm

His chopper can easily fly above 300 ft so not many Bbs can make it that high (I assume). Plus his has 4 propellers and it's pretty quiet. Total length is about 18". It works pretty well.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Alien_Hunter » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 pm

I've seen an Army prototype where the mini UAV plane comes out of a cardboard tube and is thrown like a football to achieve flight. UAVs are becoming the future of warfare, able to scout better than any ground force could have before. Better meaning more efficiently and faster.
I'm the osiris of this.
Alien_Hunter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Alacon » Sun May 04, 2014 10:22 am

I may not be able to help much with most airsoft questions, but here I can help out.

The biggest thing is stable sensors on the UAV, with the basic rotary wings you get a mounted sensor and you actively have to fly it , which is a pain when you prefer to be playing.

Fixed wing is even harder to maintain, you still have to fly it, have a movable sensor and areas to take off/land. Most of these are bigger than anyone would like, most of the size limitations set by weather, wind mostly.

Price is something that will always be unavoidable in situations like this, most of the military capabilities are incredibly expensive on top of huge wait times.

So really that would break down into 2 options from my point of view at least.

Quadrotor UAV.
You can do awesome things even with some limited programming knowledge you can get tracking sensors with telemetry, and antonymous flight. that being said it's expensive still, but upgrade-able in increments with maybe a couple hours of station time.

Blimp.
This is really where its at for airsoft in my opinion, a tethered blimp will take away most of the issues you would normally have. it floats on it's own, can hold a bigger payload for an almost infinite station time. you can get up above the treeline, or put it in a decent place to get a good view of the battlefield. you can run a wire down for sensor power, giving the ability yo mount a much much cheaper CCTV type camera that you can still control and run it yo a ground station. running this config you also have the option to run Wifi transmit from the blimp, meaning with a basic connecting you have the ability to give anyone who has a cell phone/tablet access to that video.

Hope that helps out
Alacon
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Alacon » Sun May 04, 2014 10:44 am

this looks like a decent R/C playform.
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_178&products_id=990

but when looking that up I did find this
http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_178&products_id=990
Still actively controlled, but giving the ability for a quick flyover at a low price point.
Alacon
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Sun May 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Faster doesn't equate to better. For finding structures and vehicles, sure. Maybe guys standing out in to open. But not guys in the bush or booby traps.

Alienhunter, the kind of UAV's you are talking about are: 1.prototypes 2.super f-ing expensive 3.regulated by the FAA and 4. (here's the big one!) NOT FOR SALE!!!!! Unless you work for the DOD or LE!

Cody's right, the blimp is the way to go, it doesn't even need to "fly" around. A simple mylar balloon (or several) will work great! Very stable platform for a camera, especially if you have more than one tether cable. That's one of the skycams I have got the zombie apocalypse (it's coming!) Plus no problems with the FAA.

Now if your really stuck on a drone. Go to the "Game of Drones" channel on Youtube, and do everything Marc Cornblatt says, he's super smart.(and if you haven't seen them already, watch his series "Guns and Gardens" great stuff!)
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby T-Time » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:24 pm

Those are cool!! Never!! I have never seen or even heard of one of these :shock:
This would work perfect for a UAV!
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Airsoft

Return to Mil-Sim Vehicles