Can you describe your "ideal event"

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Can you describe your "ideal event"

Postby Honest_John » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 am

Can you describe your ideal event?

What features do you want to see? Mission styles? Setting? Props? Command elements?

And how much are you willing to spend to attend such an event? (all too often facilitys are not free)
Don't let that distract you from the fact that In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground.
Honest_John
Recruit
Recruit

Team: N/A

Re: Can you describe your "ideal event"

Postby Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm

My Ideal Event:

Groups broken down into defined platoons with "real" missions, a defined chain of command, and enforced uniform/equipment standards.

Props are hella important. Want to forget that youre in the PNW? A handful of colourful moneys, some inteligence documents in cyrilic script or arabic squiggly lines, and seeing an enemy platoon in uniform carrying AK47s does wonders.

And id be willing to spend $50 for a weekend of that, at somewhere like Rilea north post. Im less willing to spend money on an event at Rilea south post because i believe that the MOUT town attracts a sub-par player base.
Member of the AirsoftReview Mafia
Umlaut Rabbit - 28 June 2008, Unchkin Rabbit 29 May 2009
Pope_Alex_Kaeda_I

Location: Google makes me clever. Photoshop makes me beautiful.

Postby Heretic » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm

What was said above.

Also, an event host that is not a douchebag self important moto asshat.
Heretic
Specops
Specops

Postby Norseman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 pm

Still struggling to get this off the ground.

But I've designed "The Chronicles of Grizzly Gulch" to be an open world based on money, or commodities that create wealth.

Each person can decide on multiple avenues of obtaining wealth. And also deal with consequences.....

It's a complex template, and I won't know what works or doesn't until I've got a large group of people interacting with the rule set and each other. Never done anything like this before.

Next step is to create a mini video showcasing the ranch and the OP. Which will hopefully create some excitement.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby Solid » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

A Faction Wars where everyone got over themselves and actually dressed up for the event like the first one.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby book42 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:28 pm

The thing I would like to see the most, honestly, is designated camo patterns for each side; e.g. M81 versus Multicam, marpat versus desert tan... etc. This seems like an impossibility, but I would pay money for the event, as well as drop some dough for a new set of BDU's, if necessary.

See ya' out on the field.

Best regards,

Kevin: a.k.a.- Book
If'n you ain't diein'... you ain't tryin'.
book42
Soldier
Soldier

Team: MSG Recon

Postby Norseman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:40 pm

That's how we have always done it? That's curious. How are they doing it now down there? Red and blue arm bands?
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Junto » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Kids won't adhere to gear requirements and show up wearing whatever, so we end up settling for arm bands a lot. It came down to people who won't read and adhere to the requirements constituting a large portion of the player base, so you can either let them in even though they don't cut it, or you can miss out on half the money you could be making.

I want more midcap only events, and only one or two allowed camo patterns per side. Defined chain of command. Missions with props. Better use of terrain and structures (not sending people up and down the worst parts of hills, use of multiple structures as objective points/containing props, or defined enemy contingents like a machine gun nest and a few crew for it, but not 80 dudes crammed in a shack). Objectives with more than one solution would be a plus.

I wouldn't mind seeing large-scale events with defined OPFOR, much like Enduring Horizon (2006) and the Fear This series (2005-2007). Essentially, the game happens in timed stages across multiple areas. You compete in large teams (10-30 people, maybe) You are given a briefing, told how much time you have to complete the station, you enter the portion of the playfield and do things like

-Cross enemy lines without being discovered and photograph the location of their ammo dump
-Kill a high value target guarded by several entrenched guards with multiple special weapons and gun emplacements
-Ambush and disable a vehicle patrol
-Get to tha choppa
-Patrol an area and survive any enemy contact they encounter

One or two basic objectives per station. Team A shows up, finishes the station in an hour and a half out of two hours or whatever, and has time to hydrate and snack up before they go to the next station. Team B comes to the station when A leaves, gets the same amount of time to try and complete the objective for that station, and so on.

These events can be graded simply on objective completion and time taken to complete them. You can decide if you want it tournament style, or just as a framework for your event. Scenarios could even be more complex and feature things like civilians who must be traded with and left unharmed, etc.

I'd like to see something fresh. A break from semi-serious long-style play and way-serious weekend-long MILSIM games, but that still calls to the tactical nerd more than a standard mini-op or skirmish. Something that lets the wimpy kids eat a snickers and keep from becoming a heat casualty between stations. Something senior community members can collaborate on putting together, from admining stations, to being actors or OPFOR. Events that required you to enlist with a team created a lot of drive for people to actually form teams in the first place. There used to be huge team diversity. Now there's our team, which is big, but no one remembers (DRAT), SOTA, FOAD, SpecDet, Cloud, Phantom Fury, and the Ronin AC. And that's it (sorry if I missed anyone, lol). If you tell 14-20-year-olds about your cool event and suggest they form a group and try and train up to win, you may see all those loner kids end up in matching camo and caring more about playing the objective than their own kills for the day.
Junto

Postby Norseman » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:04 pm

Junto wrote:Kids won't adhere to gear requirements and show up wearing whatever, so we end up settling for arm bands a lot. It came down to people who won't read and adhere to the requirements constituting a large portion of the player base, so you can either let them in even though they don't cut it, or you can miss out on half the money you could be making.

I want more midcap only events, and only one or two allowed camo patterns per side. Defined chain of command. Missions with props. Better use of terrain and structures (not sending people up and down the worst parts of hills, use of multiple structures as objective points/containing props, or defined enemy contingents like a machine gun nest and a few crew for it, but not 80 dudes crammed in a shack). Objectives with more than one solution would be a plus.

I wouldn't mind seeing large-scale events with defined OPFOR, much like Enduring Horizon (2006) and the Fear This series (2005-2007). Essentially, the game happens in timed stages across multiple areas. You compete in large teams (10-30 people, maybe) You are given a briefing, told how much time you have to complete the station, you enter the portion of the playfield and do things like

-Cross enemy lines without being discovered and photograph the location of their ammo dump
-Kill a high value target guarded by several entrenched guards with multiple special weapons and gun emplacements
-Ambush and disable a vehicle patrol
-Get to tha choppa
-Patrol an area and survive any enemy contact they encounter

One or two basic objectives per station. Team A shows up, finishes the station in an hour and a half out of two hours or whatever, and has time to hydrate and snack up before they go to the next station. Team B comes to the station when A leaves, gets the same amount of time to try and complete the objective for that station, and so on.

These events can be graded simply on objective completion and time taken to complete them. You can decide if you want it tournament style, or just as a framework for your event. Scenarios could even be more complex and feature things like civilians who must be traded with and left unharmed, etc.

I'd like to see something fresh. A break from semi-serious long-style play and way-serious weekend-long MILSIM games, but that still calls to the tactical nerd more than a standard mini-op or skirmish. Something that lets the wimpy kids eat a snickers and keep from becoming a heat casualty between stations. Something senior community members can collaborate on putting together, from admining stations, to being actors or OPFOR. Events that required you to enlist with a team created a lot of drive for people to actually form teams in the first place. There used to be huge team diversity. Now there's our team, which is big, but no one remembers (DRAT), SOTA, FOAD, SpecDet, Cloud, Phantom Fury, and the Ronin AC. And that's it (sorry if I missed anyone, lol). If you tell 14-20-year-olds about your cool event and suggest they form a group and try and train up to win, you may see all those loner kids end up in matching camo and caring more about playing the objective than their own kills for the day.

Roll back airsoft 25 years in the PacNW to PSAC or Puget Sound Airsoft Command.

They had a basic packing list, camo requirements, props, military vehicles and oh yah......a age requirement of 18 and over. And they were strict about it. If you were not pre registered to the event? You didn't go through the gate.

It may sound draconian by todays standards but they put on quality events first. And many of us took back what we learned which I basically credit REMF with (John Robison). I also think Gunny was instrumental in AP's rise to fame as well soon after. Especially his CQC series.

I think as the sport grew and grew it picked up a woods paintball attitude. In which people may dress the part but they are truly an army of one. There of course were exceptions to this rule during this time frame. Some OP's became historical to ensure people were committed to get the gear and participate as a team member. Its also a good sign when you see people before the op walking through patrols, hand signals, react to contact drills, etc, etc. It means the airsofters are serious about working as a team. And the OP is probably not going to become a walking cluster fritter.

Also paintball respawn points ruin cohesion and unit structure upon first contact. Gotta have rules in place that somehow keeps the unit together and fighting. Unit CCP's, unit medics, unit respawns, etc.

Rob Kauder with Pegasus Milsim, still runs Milsim events, he is on facebook and they have a exclusive airsoft field now up in Spokane. He volunteers a lot at Milsim West games as well.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Chainmail » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:43 pm

I would love to see events have very specific rules that work with the theme of the game, even if they aren't necessarily "fair".

For example, let's say you have a US vs. "terrorist" event. As part of your rule set, you specify exactly what you expect players to wear, and how each player should act depending on the team they play for. The US players must have (appropriate camo pattern for time period), they must carry (appropriate weapon platform, may even specific iterations of weapons) they must have, or cannot have, certain pieces of gears (must have a MICH 2002 helmet, cannot use ALICE gear, etc.) and will be expected to work with a squad that they are assigned to. The "terrorist" team is not allowed to wear camo of any kind, nor are they allowed to look "tactical" in any way. They can't use certain types of weapons/gears (i.e. no plate carriers, only one support gunner allowed for the whole team, etc.).

Little things like that which help the theme, or backstory, of the game to life, I feel really help make the game more enjoyable, and less like every other skirmish out there.

In addition to that, use of props, good use of venues, and choosing a proper venue to fit the event are also huge helps in my book.
Chainmail
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Junto » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:53 am

Norseman wrote: Roll back airsoft 25 years in the PacNW to PSAC or Puget Sound Airsoft Command.

They had a basic packing list, camo requirements, props, military vehicles and oh yah......a age requirement of 18 and over. And they were strict about it. If you were not pre registered to the event? You didn't go through the gate.

It may sound draconian by todays standards but they put on quality events first. And many of us took back what we learned which I basically credit REMF with (John Robison). I also think Gunny was instrumental in AP's rise to fame as well soon after. Especially his CQC series.

I think as the sport grew and grew it picked up a woods paintball attitude. In which people may dress the part but they are truly an army of one. There of course were exceptions to this rule during this time frame. Some OP's became historical to ensure people were committed to get the gear and participate as a team member. Its also a good sign when you see people before the op walking through patrols, hand signals, react to contact drills, etc, etc. It means the airsofters are serious about working as a team. And the OP is probably not going to become a walking cluster fritter.

Also paintball respawn points ruin cohesion and unit structure upon first contact. Gotta have rules in place that somehow keeps the unit together and fighting. Unit CCP's, unit medics, unit respawns, etc.

Rob Kauder with Pegasus Milsim, still runs Milsim events, he is on facebook and they have a exclusive airsoft field now up in Spokane. He volunteers a lot at Milsim West games as well.
We pulled off some good stuff 6-10 years ago without the strict age limit, but with good, stringent rules and well-planned, themed events. I got to do CQC4, 5, (acted at) 6, and 7, all of which were stellar. Got to go through Long Winter 2007, Galant Saber 3, and Total War 9 with Battlesim, and if we're talking about the same REMF I believe I rented an MP-40 from him for the weekend of Long Winter. :D The gear requirements, magazine capacity rules, and unwillingness to let people in who couldn't make the basic kit list helped make every event on that list as solid as they were and in no way crippled their marketability.

But I think RAC5 and the 937th OSK had a good, condensed, single-day event formula with Enduring Horizon and Fear This that managed to use the same spirit of the aforementioned larger or more intensely-detailed events, but still asked more from the player than that woodsball attitude you mentioned if they really wanted to win. It's a genre that's totally missing in the local market (Portland area) right now and I'd like to see some solid attempts at something similar.

I've seen some neat stuff from Spokane lately, but it's just further than I'm generally willing to travel for an event. :C
Junto

Postby Grounded » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 am

Pegasus MILSIM! I see a weekend trip to Washington soon.
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby book42 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:28 am

I remember DRAT and FOAD!

Great freakin' suggestions Junto. I have always wanted to participate in a Lo-Cap game. That would be so fun... talk about "target acquisition".

When Hard Drive and I first started playing there were a lot more Sunday games, and I remember one of our first large games at Splat Action there were some 400 players! (Anybody remember Kbar? :D )

Is it just me or does it seem like airsoft has lost a little steam in Oregon? Personally, I have been out due to injury, but it would be great to see the numbers increase on Sundays at Camp R&R.

Best regards,

Kevin: a.k.a.- Book
If'n you ain't diein'... you ain't tryin'.
book42
Soldier
Soldier

Team: MSG Recon

Postby Grounded » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

I love camp r and r!
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Norseman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:22 am

Ahem....

I know of a really cool airsoft game coming up thats super duper real cap only!

:)
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Community General Discussion