0.66g Bbs

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

0.66g Bbs

Postby Cyclops » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:04 pm

New weight of Bbs were found and I ordered 200 of them to test them against some of our safety equipment and see how they act in my sniper. First of all I don't believe these should be legal. At 100ft away we tested with a full pop can and the 0.40g went thru one side and made a small crack on the other. BUT when using the 0.66g Bbs it went clean thru and it didn't seem to have slowed it down any! Later this weekend or beginning of next week I plan on running some more test to see how much damage these can really do. Plan on shooting the mesh goggles, safety glasses, mesh face mask and what ever items we might find to do our test.
Seems that like every other big game someone is missing a tooth or a Bb stuck in them. Using this size of Bb to me would do far more damage! I'll fill you guys in and what I find on our next round of testing. Don't waste your money as these could hurt another person pretty bad. Just throwing the warning out there. Plus their not cheap as well.
My sniper chromos with 0.20g at 547 to 552 FPS.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Re: 0.66g Bbs not safe

Postby CrossBow » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:29 am

Strange as it seems, it has to do with the amount of time the BB stays in the barrel and collect's more energy from the air behind it. This is more of a problem with longer barrel rifles and non-ported cylinders. Here is my simple explanation; I'm sure someone else can explain the science much better.

The lighter BB travels quickly down the barrel, exiting before all of the air builds up behind it transferring it's full energy.
The heaver BB travels slower down the barrel, with more energy being transferred to the BB before exiting the barrel.

A longer barrel makes sure more of the air from the air cylinder is in the barrel propelling the BB before the BB exits, transferring more energy to the BB. Cylinder port position or lack of a port will have a direct effect on this.

There are a lot of other variables that come into play like,cylinder port, barrel quality, spring and of course air leaks ... but proof is in the testing. I suggest you take your sniper (shooting 547-552 w/ 0.20g) and chrono it with with the different weight BB's you have.

The standard Sniper limit is 550 and your right on. The key is not FPS but Joules (Kinetic Energy). Joules is the constant in the equation and for 0.20g @ 550fps = 2.81 Joules. Regardless of the BB weight 2.81 Joules is the MAX.

0.25g @ 2.81j = 492fps
0.30g @ 2.81j = 449fps
0.40g @ 2.81j = 389fps
0.66g @ 2.81j = 303fps* I'd bet your shooing north of 303fps with the 0.66g sniper rounds.

Here is a link to my charts ... one is the short version, with only the limits and the other is a 1 FPS scale. I even added your boulder weight BB :-)

http://www.phantomfuryairsoft.com/pf-co ... les-chart/

It's good to see your sharing your findings, safety First!
Last edited by CrossBow on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phantom Fury Airsoft
Embrace the Suck
CrossBow
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:16 am

CrossBow wrote:Strange as it seems, it has to do with the amount of time the BB stays in the barrel and collect's more energy from the air behind it. This is more of a problem with longer barrel rifles and non-ported cylinders. Here is my simple explanation; I'm sure someone else can explain the science much better.

The lighter BB travels quickly down the barrel, exiting before all of the air builds up behind it transferring it's full energy.
The heaver BB travels slower down the barrel, with more energy being transferred to the BB before exiting the barrel.

A longer barrel makes sure more of the air from the air cylinder is in the barrel propelling the BB before the BB exists, transferring more energy to the BB. Cylinder port position or lack of a port will have a direct effect on this.

There are a lot of other variables that come into play like,cylinder port, barrel quality, spring and of course air leaks ... but proof is in the testing. I suggest you take your sniper (shooting 547-552 w/ 0.20g) and chrono it with with the different weight BB's you have.

The standard Sniper limit is 550 and your right on. The key is not FPS but Joules (Kinetic Energy). Joules is the constant in the equation and for 0.20g @ 550fps = 2.81 Joules. Regardless of the BB weight 2.81 Joules is the MAX.

0.25g @ 2.81j = 492fps
0.30g @ 2.81j = 449fps
0.40g @ 2.81j = 389fps
0.66g @ 2.81j = 303fps* I'd bet your shooing north of 303fps with the 0.66g sniper rounds.

Here is a link to my charts ... one is the short version, with only the limits and the other is a 1 FPS scale. I even added your boulder weight BB :-)

http://www.phantomfuryairsoft.com/pf-co ... les-chart/

It's good to see your sharing you findings, safety First!

Great explanation on joule creep. Thank you CrossBow. There is a large and growing groups of techs that are creating these creep guns and pushing the safety boundaries for the sake of a harder hitting bb. This is why a lot of fields in SO CAL and back east are not measuring by FPS anymore but by Joules.

The root cause of the reasons behind making your gun hit harder aside from people who just want to hurt others is players not calling hits. I know everyone has experienced shooting someone and watching them react yet that person keeps playing on, And I know everyone who plays this sport at one time or another has not called a hit for any number of reasons. Honorable play will eliminate the need to creep guns and look for ways to deal more damage, all for getting a player to call a hit.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby CrossBow » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:27 am

-
CrossBow
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Postby Nocte » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:35 am

CrossBow wrote:0.25g @ 2.81j = 492fps
0.30g @ 2.81j = 449fps
0.40g @ 2.81j = 389fps
0.66g @ 2.81j = 303fps

If someone's muzzle velocity is measured at 303 FPS and they're using 0.66g bbs, they are just as safe as someone using 0.30g bbs at 449FPS (or any of the other 2.81-Joule calculations above). At longer ranges, air resistance is more of a factor with the lighter bb weights, but that's the entire point of using heavier bbs. You sacrifice projectile speed for accuracy.

Close range "pop can" measurements are anecdotal, and should not be used to make safety claims. Soda cans are made to hold liquid, not a uniform barrier through which we can make precise physics claims;the tolerances in wall thickness will differ from can to can. My 300FPS GBB can sometimes shoot through two sides of a pop can, and it's a 10-year-old TM.

Stick to the chronograph for safety regs.
ImageImage
Nocte

Team: APST

Return to Community General Discussion