Airsoft Upgrade Help

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Airsoft Upgrade Help

Postby Santange11 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:21 pm

Hello all,

I just got an Magpul PTS KWA ERG CQB M4 (too long of a name) and it has been amazing thus far. However it is a CQB gun and I would like to get a little more range out of it to make it better for the outdoors. I have very little experience with airsoft and what I am about to suggest is mainly based on looks. I was thinking of saving up for a Madbull Delta P silencer, upgrading the inner barrel from 273mm to 368mm, and lastly a spring to get it in the 350+ fps range.

From you guys, the people with airsoft experience, is this a good idea or is there another approach to this?

Thank you guys for the help.
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Airsoft Upgrade Help

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 am

santange11 wrote:Hello all,

I just got an Magpul PTS KWA ERG CQB M4 (too long of a name) and it has been amazing thus far. However it is a CQB gun and I would like to get a little more range out of it to make it better for the outdoors. I have very little experience with airsoft and what I am about to suggest is mainly based on looks. I was thinking of saving up for a Madbull Delta P silencer, upgrading the inner barrel from 273mm to 368mm, and lastly a spring to get it in the 350+ fps range.

From you guys, the people with airsoft experience, is this a good idea or is there another approach to this?

Thank you guys for the help.

If you are wanting a TBB, a cheap yet quality barrel is a ZCI 6.02 363mm, they range in the $25 to $30 mark and are a great barrel. Remember FPS does not = range, range is all in the the hopup and barrel, fps helps a little but is mainly so people feel the hit at longer range. Personally I would start with a ZCI 363mm 6.02 tbb and a lonex 70 degree bucking, try that if you want more range start looking on youtube for flat hop modifications.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby ogrejager » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:16 am

Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:Remember FPS does not = range

This is simply not true. If all other variables are constant--same barrel, same hopup, etcetera--a higher FPS will go further. It's simple physics. Are there other variables that are more important than FPS? Yes.

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Santange11 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:30 am

In regards to FPS I don't intend to do a drastic change, but just a slight bump to get it from the low 300s to around the 350 mark.
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyclops » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:53 am

If you plan on playing an out door game I recommend having your FPS no LOWER then 380. Goal is to be about 400 to 410 FPS. Now if you play indoor as well you mine as well get another gun for just out doors. I know you wont be happy with an out door gun chronoing at 350. If that's the case you mine as well just get a pistol and play.
Basic tune up on any AEG is a TBB and a bigger spring. Yes there is a lot more you can do but those are the 2 first things you do. Recommend a 6.01 to 6.03 and no less of a 363mm barrel. Longer is SOMETIMES better but not to long. Then a prommy 110 or 120 spring. You will find cheaper springs BUT they wont last as long on keeping the FPS up there.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:34 am

ogrejager wrote:
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:Remember FPS does not = range

This is simply not true. If all other variables are constant--same barrel, same hopup, etcetera--a higher FPS will go further. It's simple physics. Are there other variables that are more important than FPS? Yes.

Yes you are right with all the same variables a higher fps will shoot further. But I also showed him a combo and ways to learn some simple mods so he did not have to boost his FPS to get range.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Santange11 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am

Cyclops wrote:If you plan on playing an out door game I recommend having your FPS no LOWER then 380. Goal is to be about 400 to 410 FPS. Now if you play indoor as well you mine as well get another gun for just out doors. I know you wont be happy with an out door gun chronoing at 350. If that's the case you mine as well just get a pistol and play.
Basic tune up on any AEG is a TBB and a bigger spring. Yes there is a lot more you can do but those are the 2 first things you do. Recommend a 6.01 to 6.03 and no less of a 363mm barrel. Longer is SOMETIMES better but not to long. Then a prommy 110 or 120 spring. You will find cheaper springs BUT they wont last as long on keeping the FPS up there.

Thanks for the input. I want to make this an outdoor gun. With that being I be upgrading to the Madbull Python 363mm 6.03 barrel with the silencer to extend the outer barrel. I am going to try out the bucking Hawkeye recommended as well. As for the spring I think I need to look into a little more because I remember hearing that this particular gun uses a different type of spring.
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jewish Ninja » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:50 pm

99% of AEGs all use the same spring design. The few exceptions to that are the Tokyo Marui PSG-1, and SR-25s that have the longer gear box design. Modify makes a great spring. I have one in my TM P90, and 6 years later, it's still at the same FPS.

Buying a quality bucking and barrel will be a better use of your money than buying one that's "good enough". A good barrel/bucking combo can also increase your FPS (it can range anywhere from 0-40FPS increase), so I'd suggest installing those parts and then installing a spring if you still need a slight bump. I've had great results with Prometheus barrels and Modify buckings. Maple Leaf also makes great buckings, but they are harder to find in stock.

Upgrading the nub from the stock one is a good idea as well. An H nub is kind of old hat, but I've had great success with them, I've heard R hops are the new thing, but I personally have not used one, or seen one in use in person. I've also heard that they are harder to install and take more tuning, which might not be a good idea if you're just starting out.

If you're looking to increase your FPS, be sure to use heavier BBs as well to get the most range you can get. If you're shooting up to 350, .25s are great. 380-400, look into getting .28-.3 gram BBs.
Threepeat! AP Gearwhore of the Year.
WWGFD?
Adjective noun is adjective.
Jewish Ninja

Postby Santange11 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:26 pm

After looking into it the KWA ERGS don't take a unique spring. Once I get the barrel and bucking setup I'll see where I am at and decide on a spring.

Jewish Ninja wrote:If you're looking to increase your FPS, be sure to use heavier BBs as well to get the most range you can get. If you're shooting up to 350, .25s are great. 380-400, look into getting .28-.3 gram BBs.

For BBs I have just been using .20s while goofing about on some family property. I intend to use either .25 or .28 after the barrel is setup. In regards to BBs and play I have the understanding that most outdoor fields like Camp R & R chrono your gun with .20 BBs that they provide and then you can use whatever weight you want as long as its an approved brand. Is this true in that my FPS should be based on .20 BBs when tuning the gun and then use the weight I find most appropriate?
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cyclops » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:23 pm

ALL guns are chronoed with 0.20. Doesn't matter if it's just an AEG, DMR, some hand guns and even bolt action snipers. They all chrono with 0.20 to keep the FPS at the same level. Once it passes chrono your welcome to use any weight Bb as long as it is ok by the host. Most host just require the Bbs to be Bio except snipers as they shoot very little (in most cases). Each gun reacts different with the weight of the Bb. So when your gun is ready for play test it with 0.25 and 0.28. Shoot you can even try the 0.30. When shooting look at your grouping from about 150ft away. Tighter the better. If it is to close then take the target back a little further. Heavier the weight the straighter your shots should be. But test your gun with different weights and find what works with your gun.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Shortbu » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:16 pm

While I don't have an R-Hop in any of my guns, I have seen a few guns with the R-Hop, and it's been pretty impressive. Though, as previously stated, I also don't really believe they are necessarily for the newer player. they're more complex, and can be rather finicky. Complex in airsoft, tends to be problematic, especially for newer players. Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, is using quality ammo. Cheap ammo sucks! It can mess up you bucking, and cause jams. I've even seen them jam a mag once. NOT FUN! They also fly inconsistently. A couple brands that I've had success with are Valken, and Elite Force. I use Elite Force in my saws, because they're cheaper than Valken, and have served me well. I have heard of a few batches with some inconsistencies, but haven't personally had any issues. I run Valken .36's in my DMR's, and .32 or .30's in my AEG's, SMG's, and Pistols. they just fly so true, and I don't use full auto all that much, so the added cost of them really isn't an issue. I've heard the G&G ammo is decent as well, but I've personally never used it.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:15 pm

I have been r-hopping barrels for a little while, and agree they are impressive but very complex, and not for a new player. It takes me approx. 4 - 6 hours to install and tune one. My last dmr build has a effective range of 320 ft with .43 bbs shooting 470 fps measured with .20's. using a zci 6.02 rhopped barrel. Like I said before for a new player a ZCI 6.02 barrel and a lonex bucking will give a good results for a new player.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Community General Discussion