What is the diff between a DMR and Sniper rifle in airsoft?

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

What is the diff between a DMR and Sniper rifle in airsoft?

Postby Santange11 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Hello all,

These guns being airsoft guns don't have too much of a range and the big difference I can see is the rate of fire difference between bolt action and semi-automatic. Beyond that what is the difference betweeen the two in there effectiveness and role on the field. I have an M4 aeg and love it, but like the idea of something with more precision. Just trying to educate myself to learn more a oit roles on the filed.

Thank you,
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: What is the diff between a DMR and Sniper rifle in airso

Postby Rentax » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:39 pm

A DMR is a Designated Marksman Rifle. With the rule sets we use in our area:
CQB/Indoor - All under 350 fps (1.13j)
Fully/Semi Automatics - 400 fps (1.5j)
Semi-Auto DMR (full auto disabled) - 475fps (2.1j)
Sniper Rifles (Bolt Action ONLY) - 550 FPS (2.8j)
*Limits Measured with .20g BB

With a well tuned rifle the higher FPS in theory will allow you to reach out a little further than the next step down. So all things being equal a Bolt Action will usually shoot further than a DMR, which will shoot further than an outdoor tuned AGE, which will shoot further than an indoor tuned AEG.
There are a lot of other contributing factors when talking about the FPS and range, but there is a correlation and when allowing a rifle to shoot a higher FPS we are trying to simulate more realistic aspects in the game.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby T-Time » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Great topic! I learned something new!
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
George S. Patton
T-Time
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Airsoft

Postby Rentax » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:24 pm

:doubt:
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby Cyclops » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:50 pm

If you go bolt it will take a lot of time and money to get it right. Good thing is that you can do it in steps. But ask your self are you the type of player that may sit in the bushes or what ever away from the big action and sit and wait for someone to come around. In a 3 hr game you end up not even firing a shot or if your lucky 50 to 75 shots. Most players can not sit around for that long in hopes to fire their gun.
DMR your more likely to be in the middle to back side of the good battles.
Cyclops
Ranger
Ranger

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby ClownBaby » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:36 pm

I was in this boat at one time. Had a nice conversation with Jesse about this, went something like this.

"Well, I can build you a bolt rifle for X amount of money. Or, I can build you a DMR that will shoot the same grouping, is far more reliable, and takes magazines, the same magazines that everyone around has on them. Which do want? Hurry up, I'm busy." Jesse

"Der, duh, derp! Got it" ClownBaby

LOL love yah Bro!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Santange11 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks guys,

But I am more curious about their roles on a field like the bolt action being for scouting and high priority (if that is the case with airsoft).
Santange11
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:14 pm

If you like semi-auto & would like more distance/precision, then a DMR might be a good fit for you. At the cost of your better grouping, two consequences are:
1) no more full-auto (at some games)
2) greater minimum engagement distance

Using a bolt gun requires a totally different style of play & pretty much necessitates a sidearm. With a sniper rifle you may have greater distance & accuracy, as well as a quieter shot, but anything closer than 50' (sometimes 100' depending on the field) & you need to pull out a pistol. If the idea of being very patient & moving more quietly than anyone else on the field is appealing, as well as pretending you're a tree from time to time, then roll with a bolt gun.

In terms of roles, I always run as recon with a bolt gun & secondary of some kind. Recon is really more of a state of mind -- firing only when necessary & communicating with the team commander on a regular basis, as opposed to shooting anything that moves & running around screaming. Anyone could be an excellent recon player with just a pistol, binoculars, & radio.

It may be cool to borrow someone's DMR or bolt gun before making any purchases to see how it feels! Good luck
* Calling hits is the cornerstone of the game * Leaders live by example * Play with HONOR *
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rentax » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:18 am

A sniper is usually a lone gunman or they may run as a sniper spotter pair. Their jobs on the field can range from Survelence and Target Aquisition (STA) to Hunter Killer missions. Their role is to be in the right place at the right time to do their job.usually they are operating close to if not behind enemy lines and they have ro get there without calling attention to themselves. It takes years to work up the field craft, and skills nessicary to be adequite.
The DMR role is a squad bases role. Much like a SAW gunner but their weapon is tuned different from others within their squad. The weapons are set up to take longer shots, they will be used as a normal rifleman, but also will be called upon to take longer shots that are out of reach of a normal rifleman. A DMR may be asked to lay down accurate suppressed fire as his unit moves up to a position that will put the enemy in their range. They are part of the war machine, but their skill set of being a able to hit targets at a longer range sets them apart from the traditional rifleman.

Now all that being said, you have to get to a level of airsoft where its not just a bunch of kids running toward the sound of the closest firefight in order for most of this to matter. You need to be at an event where squad based tactics means more than just running together toward the enemy. Your unit has to be in a chain of command and the commander has to be a good leader. At that point you will be able to receive missions that make sense, you will have blocking forces and attacking units and team leaders who understand your role within their unit and can task you with a job you and your weapon are suited for.
Unti you're at that level it's really just a crap shoot.
We do what we want
Rentax

Postby Shortbu » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:36 am

Rentax wrote:A DMR is a Designated Marksman Rifle. With the rule sets we use in our area:
CQB/Indoor - All under 350 fps (1.13j)
Fully/Semi Automatics - 400 fps (1.5j)
Semi-Auto DMR (full auto disabled) - 475fps (2.1j)
Sniper Rifles (Bolt Action ONLY) - 550 FPS (2.8j)
*Limits Measured with .20g BB

With a well tuned rifle the higher FPS in theory will allow you to reach out a little further than the next step down. So all things being equal a Bolt Action will usually shoot further than a DMR, which will shoot further than an outdoor tuned AGE, which will shoot further than an indoor tuned AEG.
There are a lot of other contributing factors when talking about the FPS and range, but there is a correlation and when allowing a rifle to shoot a higher FPS we are trying to simulate more realistic aspects in the game.

Right on point, but I must add that the FPS limits at The Swamp have changed, per their insurance. Bolts and DMR's are both capped at 500, AEG's remained the same at 400. Also, some fields limit DMR's to 450 FPS. Some fields used to give about a 20 FPS buffer, if the player was well known, and played on the side of caution. But I've noticed more and more, that they are going to hard limits for everybody. Tight insurance rules, and increasing insurance rates seem to be the main culprit for this.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Solid » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:05 am

Swag points, really. No one gives a shit if you do a 360 noscope with a semi-automatic. Bolts take a fair amount of financial and technical investment to get to the point where they are really out-performing a DMR.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby ClownBaby » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:00 pm

DMR's at 500, who the shazaam thought that would be a good idea!?!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby DenBruce » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:33 pm

I see AEG after AEG that has a ~5 FPS difference. Many of the DMRs have even less. I just want to make that clear. It's all about good parts and great compression..
DenBruce
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:27 am

ClownBaby wrote:DMR's at 500, who the f**k thought that would be a good idea!?!

The Swamps insurance made no distinction between and DMR and a Sniper, hence the FPS limit. Bolt and DMRs have the same Minimum engagement distance of 150' and just like everywhere else the DMR has to be semi-locked.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby ClownBaby » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:30 pm

Yeah, it wasn't meant as a diss on the swamp, I just hate seeing people use their "semi-auto" guns, with the modded triggers, as skin removers.

Milsim yes, not so good for BB warz. Guess it comes down to having enough admins to handle it.

IMHO, super high ROF's are not milsim. LOL (no really)

Too many people use their DMR's as laser rifles, instead of "acting" like a real DMR soldier, who wouldn't be doing mag-dumps on people, and running around like Rambo, working without direction.

Milsim vs BBwarz :doubt:
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Community General Discussion