First time squad leader tactics.

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Re: First time squad leader tactics.

Postby ogrejager » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:35 am

Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:I am stealing this Jester, you said it perfectly.

Heh. What, FOAD needs to steal our philosophies...again?

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Shortbu » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:21 pm

What Jester, Darius, and Solid posted rings true. Sage advice from experienced guys. My $.02 worth: way more important than the tactics you employ, is good use of radios. As previously stated, after a few respawns, squads get split, never to regroup. Radios, when used appropriately, can help with that, and help with running coordinated ops. The teams that employ their radios the best, do VERY well.
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Jester316 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:04 pm

Shortbu wrote:What Jester, Darius, and Solid posted rings true. Sage advice from experienced guys. My $.02 worth: way more important than the tactics you employ, is good use of radios. As previously stated, after a few respawns, squads get split, never to regroup. Radios, when used appropriately, can help with that, and help with running coordinated ops. The teams that employ their radios the best, do VERY well.

However this also means that the team that uses the radio poorly, sucks more than a Taiwanese whore vacuuming her whore shack.

Learn to appropriately use radios. Don't be that guy.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby MySwan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:46 pm

Jester316 wrote:
Shortbu wrote:What Jester, Darius, and Solid posted rings true. Sage advice from experienced guys. My $.02 worth: way more important than the tactics you employ, is good use of radios. As previously stated, after a few respawns, squads get split, never to regroup. Radios, when used appropriately, can help with that, and help with running coordinated ops. The teams that employ their radios the best, do VERY well.

However this also means that the team that uses the radio poorly, sucks more than a Taiwanese whore vacuuming her whore shack.

Learn to appropriately use radios. Don't be that guy.

wut
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Sledge

Postby Jester316 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:38 am

Jester's Guide to Not Being an Idiot on a Radio:

These are posts I wrote in 2012.

Jester316 wrote:Comms are ridiculously simple if you know how to properly use them.

Remember the following:

"Hey, Joe. It's Bob."

That is how you properly start a conversation.

When giving directions/locations, don't say "I'm by the tree with the leaves". Be precise. Use distinctive land features.

Don't hot mic. Make sure your PTT is out of the way of you shouldering your rifle. We all know what an airsoft gun sounds like, we don't need to hear yours.

Don't use VOX. We don't need to hear you panting as you walk up the hill.

Don't use the call button. People will hunt you down and mutilate you for using the call button.

Push the PTT and count to 2 before you speak. It takes a couple seconds for the circuits to engage and open the channel.

Jester316 wrote:Comms are simple. People tend to over think them.

Just remember "hey you, it's me". Always call the other person first, than say who you are. You DO NOT need to say "BREAK, OVER, END,..." at the end of your transmission. When you are done talking, stop talking and listen. When you key up (key up = start talking) count to 2 THAN SPEAK. It takes a moment for the circuits to engage and speakers to energize. Don't cut yourself off. If you have emergency traffic (generally reserved for actual emergencies in airsoft, such as a broken leg, or someone dead) than preface your message with "EMERGENCY TRAFFIC".

EX: "EMERGENCY TRAFFIC. ADMINS, ADMINS, ADMINS, THIS IS JESTER. POSSIBLE BROKEN LEG AT THE LOG FORT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE VILLAGE. 15 YEAR OLD MALE WEARING ALPENFLAUGE."

Now, that message demonstrates numerous good radio techniques. It identifies this message as critical. You address the recipient first and enough times that any admin should be caught on by now, and then indicate who is speaking. You give no bullshit details that make finding and identifying the person incredibly easy. One of the worst things people do in airsoft is call "for help by that one tree". Guess what? We play in a FOREST! There are tons and tons of trees. Give an exact location if known, or compass directions from something that is easily identified (from the example, at SniperzDen everyone knows what log fort north of the village I am talking about).

If you are using bubble pack radios, make sure you do a couple of things: 1)Find the call button. Got it? Are you sure? Take a knife and cut it off. You don't need it. If you use it, you will be hunted down and your radio taken. 2) Find you manual. Got it? Are you sure? Read it and turn of the "ROGER BEEP". You don't need it. If you use it, you will be hunted down and your radio taken. There is a reason that professional radios don't have those features. They are unneeded and only serve to get people to turn off their radio in frustration.

One other thing. If you are at an event with strict comm plans (such as odd channels for Team A, and even for team B, with channels 1-3 being admin), don't futz around on the main team channels. Those are for team organization (and I'm very guilty of trying to run a squad on a team channel). Find an unused channel (that is still dedicated to your side), and use that.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Postby MySwan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:47 am

Jester316 wrote:Jester's Guide to Not Being an Idiot on a Radio:

These are posts I wrote in 2012.

Jester316 wrote:Comms are ridiculously simple if you know how to properly use them.

Remember the following:

"Hey, Joe. It's Bob."

That is how you properly start a conversation.

When giving directions/locations, don't say "I'm by the tree with the leaves". Be precise. Use distinctive land features.

Don't hot mic. Make sure your PTT is out of the way of you shouldering your rifle. We all know what an airsoft gun sounds like, we don't need to hear yours.

Don't use VOX. We don't need to hear you panting as you walk up the hill.

Don't use the call button. People will hunt you down and mutilate you for using the call button.

Push the PTT and count to 2 before you speak. It takes a couple seconds for the circuits to engage and open the channel.

Jester316 wrote:Comms are simple. People tend to over think them.

Just remember "hey you, it's me". Always call the other person first, than say who you are. You DO NOT need to say "BREAK, OVER, END,..." at the end of your transmission. When you are done talking, stop talking and listen. When you key up (key up = start talking) count to 2 THAN SPEAK. It takes a moment for the circuits to engage and speakers to energize. Don't cut yourself off. If you have emergency traffic (generally reserved for actual emergencies in airsoft, such as a broken leg, or someone dead) than preface your message with "EMERGENCY TRAFFIC".

EX: "EMERGENCY TRAFFIC. ADMINS, ADMINS, ADMINS, THIS IS JESTER. POSSIBLE BROKEN LEG AT THE LOG FORT ON THE NORTH SIDE OF THE VILLAGE. 15 YEAR OLD MALE WEARING ALPENFLAUGE."

Now, that message demonstrates numerous good radio techniques. It identifies this message as critical. You address the recipient first and enough times that any admin should be caught on by now, and then indicate who is speaking. You give no bullshit details that make finding and identifying the person incredibly easy. One of the worst things people do in airsoft is call "for help by that one tree". Guess what? We play in a FOREST! There are tons and tons of trees. Give an exact location if known, or compass directions from something that is easily identified (from the example, at SniperzDen everyone knows what log fort north of the village I am talking about).

If you are using bubble pack radios, make sure you do a couple of things: 1)Find the call button. Got it? Are you sure? Take a knife and cut it off. You don't need it. If you use it, you will be hunted down and your radio taken. 2) Find you manual. Got it? Are you sure? Read it and turn of the "ROGER BEEP". You don't need it. If you use it, you will be hunted down and your radio taken. There is a reason that professional radios don't have those features. They are unneeded and only serve to get people to turn off their radio in frustration.

One other thing. If you are at an event with strict comm plans (such as odd channels for Team A, and even for team B, with channels 1-3 being admin), don't futz around on the main team channels. Those are for team organization (and I'm very guilty of trying to run a squad on a team channel). Find an unused channel (that is still dedicated to your side), and use that.

I meant "wut" in reply to the "sucks more than a Taiwanese whore vacuuming her whore shack." comment lol but that also really helps.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:39 am

ogrejager wrote:
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] wrote:I am stealing this Jester, you said it perfectly.

Heh. What, FOAD needs to steal our philosophies...again?

Yea even the OG's have something worth while to say every once in a while.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Postby Shortbu » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:17 pm

NICE!!!! We've apparently reached GANGSTA STATUS!!!!
Joke em' if they can't take a shazaam!
Shortbu
Soldier
Soldier

Postby MySwan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:35 pm

Shortbu wrote:NICE!!!! We've apparently reached GANGSTA STATUS!!!!

Lmao.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Nark » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:40 pm

MySwan wrote:I meant "wut" in reply to the "sucks more than a Taiwanese whore vacuuming her whore shack." comment lol but that also really helps.

If you need that explained to you, you shouldn't be leading a squad quite yet.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Steve » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Nark wrote:
MySwan wrote:I meant "wut" in reply to the "sucks more than a Taiwanese whore vacuuming her whore shack." comment lol but that also really helps.

I call bullshit. If you need that explained to you, you need to be running at least a platoon, maybe an artillery plotting board.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:19 pm

:lol: Sounds about right! Hahaha
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Nark » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 am

Steve wrote:
Nark wrote:

I call bullshit. If you need that explained to you, you need to be running at least a platoon, maybe an artillery plotting board.

Well can't argue with that logic, just be sure to call out Danger Close when we get targeted by accident :P
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Previous

Return to Community General Discussion