First time squad leader tactics.

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

First time squad leader tactics.

Postby MySwan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:49 am

My push towards more realistic airsoft has kept gaining momentum ever since the start and I will be attending Camp Rilea next month. I'm being assigned as a squad leader which doesn't necessarily make me nervous It's more that I want to learn. This is the biggest game I will have gone to so far and I'm not dumb when it comes to understanding information and the whole idea of using tactics but I really just need advice on which ones to use and when. Half the squad will be made up of my friends so confidence won't be an issue for commanding the other 5. Any help/experience would be appreciated.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Team: Sledge

Re: First time squad leader tactics.

Postby Darius137 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:24 am

if you get your whole squad waxed in bbsoft from a pea grenade when entering a building, but you live because you were just outside fixing your gopro, you will get serious bb ptsd and start drinking a lot more.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Darius137 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:26 am

Also this question has about a thousand pages of content. Squad Leader has a lot of duties and roles. Look into the military description of what the infantry is, what their mission is, and what the roles of an infantry fireteam leader and squad leader are.

I googled this and it seems okay but I didn't read it. TYFYS

http://www.ehow.com/about_6580472_infan ... ption.html
Darius137

Postby MySwan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:00 pm

Darius137 wrote:Also this question has about a thousand pages of content. Squad Leader has a lot of duties and roles. Look into the military description of what the infantry is, what their mission is, and what the roles of an infantry fireteam leader and squad leader are.

Thanks for that! Also my squad so far only consists of my friends until they put more in my squad I only trust two out of the 3 to be fire team leaders however one of those two is a SAW. Would it be impractical/ just wrong to have a SAW as one of the FTLs?
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:40 am

Don't forget Tom Selleck like mustache.

Operating at a professional level. LOL
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Nark » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:21 pm

MySwan wrote:
Darius137 wrote:Also this question has about a thousand pages of content. Squad Leader has a lot of duties and roles. Look into the military description of what the infantry is, what their mission is, and what the roles of an infantry fireteam leader and squad leader are.

Thanks for that! Also my squad so far only consists of my friends until they put more in my squad I only trust two out of the 3 to be fire team leaders however one of those two is a SAW. Would it be impractical/ just wrong to have a SAW as one of the FTLs?

It depends, FTL don't lead from the front, that's the point man. Look at how many squad members you have and usually, when I've played, the FTL is somewhere that he can be heard by everyone when he speaks in a low voice so usually in the middle of the group with a person on his 12, 3, 6 & 9 if there's four people.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Solid » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:54 pm

Make sure before you go into an event like Rilea or many of the bb warz events here, that 99% of the time, unless you showed up with a crew that's been previously training and coordinating together, after the first handful of respawns your squad will be scattered to the four winds, never to be reassembled again.

Go to a few events and just have fun and get a lay for how game pacing goes and how to interact with the community before you try to get too high speed. Also, remember you are 16, people don't like listening to a 16 year old that's all hyped up on Mountain Dew that just watched Black Hawk Down. Mature and reasonable are the words of the day or else everyone will go off and do their own thing anyway.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby MySwan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Solid wrote:Make sure before you go into an event like Rilea or many of the bb warz events here, that 99% of the time, unless you showed up with a crew that's been previously training and coordinating together, after the first handful of respawns your squad will be scattered to the four winds, never to be reassembled again.

Go to a few events and just have fun and get a lay for how game pacing goes and how to interact with the community before you try to get too high speed. Also, remember you are 16, people don't like listening to a 16 year old that's all hyped up on Mountain Dew that just watched Black Hawk Down. Mature and reasonable are the words of the day or else everyone will go off and do their own thing anyway.

I totally get what you're saying. That's why I'm just trying to get all the stupid questions/decisions I might make out of the way on here. I have been watching/ reading a lot on tactics of fire teams and squads. Like those 3D simulators they use for rangers and such. I'm trying my best to not be pretentious/ annoying about leading this and I don't expect to be super high speed just as effective as I can be for my first time to have a good base for gaining experience.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Solid » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:49 pm

MySwan wrote:
Solid wrote:Make sure before you go into an event like Rilea or many of the bb warz events here, that 99% of the time, unless you showed up with a crew that's been previously training and coordinating together, after the first handful of respawns your squad will be scattered to the four winds, never to be reassembled again.

I totally get what you're saying. That's why I'm just trying to get all the stupid questions/decisions I might make out of the way on here. I have been watching/ reading a lot on tactics of fire teams and squads. Like those 3D simulators they use for rangers and such. I'm trying my best to not be pretentious/ annoying about leading this and I don't expect to be super high speed just as effective as I can be for my first time to have a good base for gaining experience.

Honest to God, the only real way you learn that shit is experience. You can look at pictures and simulations all day but it's not really gonna click and make sense 'till you go clear a couple houses a few dozen times or bound through a forest for a few miles. Just chill.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby MySwan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Solid wrote:
MySwan wrote:

Honest to God, the only real way you learn that shit is experience. You can look at pictures and simulations all day but it's not really gonna click and make sense 'till you go clear a couple houses a few dozen times or bound through a forest for a few miles. Just chill.

This thread got out of hand lol.
MySwan
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Jester316 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:40 pm

Here is my guide to being a good squad leader:

1)Your squad comes before you. This means you need to make sure you guys are feed, hydrated, rested, loaded, and ready before you are.

2)Listen to everyone, but be ready to make decisions on your own. You are their leader, you need to make decisions. But don't be so prideful that you won't listen to others. They may see things differently, and differently isn't always bad.

3)Don't be afraid to send your guys into harms way (or BB's way). Don't play favorites. Don't hold people back because they may get hurt.

4)Be 20-30 min early. If you aren't there before everyone else in your squad, you are late. How can you lead if you aren't there to direct people?

These are a couple things I've learned from years of leading during BB wars.

FIRE CLEANSES ALL!
Jester316

Team: SpecDet1

Postby ClownBaby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 am

A good goal for a new group is to just stay together, move as a unit.
Get that down first, worry about looking cool later.

And if your feeling adventurous, ask the host for a D.A.M.
Making sure that they know your experience level.

Also, make sure everyone in your team knows that not everything is gonna go as planned. Rarely does it go as planned. :lol:
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Darius137 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:27 am

MySwan wrote:

The SAW is an Automatic Rifle. It is the most casualty producing weapon in a fire team. Its' primary purpose is to provide suppressive fire to allow you freedom to maneuver.

But that's real life, where they carry a lot more weight than others in ammo and there is limited ammo and weapons to go around. If the person carrying the SAW can both use his SAW (or her, or xer's, I don't judge) AS WELL as lead a fireteam, then why not?

I like a light load for a leader so they can focus on leading and using radios, smokes, direct traffic, herd sheep, etc.
Darius137

Postby jake_smith1022 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:57 am

Improvise, adapt, overcome
jake_smith1022
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.] » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:04 am

Jester316 wrote:Here is my guide to being a good squad leader:

1)Your squad comes before you. This means you need to make sure you guys are feed, hydrated, rested, loaded, and ready before you are.

2)Listen to everyone, but be ready to make decisions on your own. You are their leader, you need to make decisions. But don't be so prideful that you won't listen to others. They may see things differently, and differently isn't always bad.

3)Don't be afraid to send your guys into harms way (or BB's way). Don't play favorites. Don't hold people back because they may get hurt.

4)Be 20-30 min early. If you aren't there before everyone else in your squad, you are late. How can you lead if you aren't there to direct people?

These are a couple things I've learned from years of leading during BB wars.

I am stealing this Jester, you said it perfectly.
Hawkeye [F.O.A.D.]
Soldier
Soldier

Team: F.O.A.D

Next

Return to Community General Discussion