The Decline of AP.com

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Re: The Decline of AP.com

Postby dos_Santos » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:56 am

Social media is primarily the reason I stopped using AP over time, it was really a convenience issue. But AP.com was at the root of when I started playing (almost 10 years on AP) and how I met guys that ended up becoming my team mates (SOTA). There was community here, and that's what made this place fun.

And there still is community, but like several have mentioned, relevant content is missing, so people aren't attracted to AP. This site will continue to serve the local community if the community contributes. I love FoxHound's initiative, that's leadership. And leadership is what this site needs to revive the AP community.

I believe that if a gathering were held in the PDX area to reboot AP, several people would probably step up to be apart of it.

I love forums because there is content in forums that won't exist in Facebook (DIY how-to's are the big ones I value, for my cars). I believe if AP were more accessible, that would change the interaction dynamic as well. There are great apps that make forums convenient for me (Tapatalk being one), so I would look into a similar platform for AP.

Great seeing old faces on here!

(BTW, I still participate in airsoft/milsim (MSW Clovis, CA being the most recent), but I have have had to be intentional with my time because of career/family/etc, so I am not playing/practicing 4 times a month like back in the AP heyday.)
I do hope that after all this discreditable shuffling we may be taken into action. It has a wonderful way of reconciling a man with himself: and with everybody else, sometimes. - 1st Lt. James Dillon
dos_Santos
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Postby Eudorus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:20 am

The only thing that would bring me back to Airsoft would be regular training along the lines of the old PLA.
Ludere Causa Ludendi
Winner MSW Patrolling challenge, May 2013
Eudorus
Ranger
Ranger

Team: The 144

Postby Nark » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:00 pm

Time to bump this back up.. Being a member on other forums I see a lot of activity in other areas of forums like music, netflix, girls, general feels boards positive and negative, politics, etc. and I feel it helps bring a forum together into a more inclusive group. It helps when new members can post in other topics and not get chewed out for not knowing about the little nuances we like to nitpick. Our off topic forum hasn't really seen any action in a couple years so maybe kicking it up and having more conversations than just what AEG should I get over and over cause it's a one way street will help draw people back in.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:22 pm

dos_Santos, thank you very much for the positive support. Nark, thanks for the bump!

How about a "Video of the Month" section on the homepage? Maybe just a small section with a YouTube widget that can be linked to a selected video. I understand there will be logistics to work out, but there are no problems -- only solutions!

What do you think?
* Calling hits is the cornerstone of the game * Leaders live by example * Play with HONOR *
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:45 pm

Yes Cruz, videos. Do it!!!

Also I think there should be a comprehensive video on what to do/buy for nwebs.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Tankwitch » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 pm

An intro thread would be useful. But it would have to be updated regularly. It would need several dedicated contributors in order to make it work. I'd be more than happy to start it, if we can get other people interested I would be more than happy to be a contributor.
I'm a major chairsofter, sorry about that.
Tankwitch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Agent orange. » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:24 pm

I could possibly make a YouTube video showing some of the basics of the site? It will just be me talking, and going and doing different things on the site so people know how it works. Also could include in the video how to make a profile etc.

Let me know what yall think about this idea.
A error does not become a mistake, until you refuse to correct it.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Team: 79th

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:35 pm

Agent orange. wrote:I could possibly make a YouTube video showing some of the basics of the site?
Let me know what yall think about this idea.

Go for it -- no one can stop you. Let me know if you would like some cool music for the background!
* Calling hits is the cornerstone of the game * Leaders live by example * Play with HONOR *
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Agent orange. » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:09 am

A decent intro would be outstanding. Last time I tried using music on YouTube, I got copy wrighted for every song I put on there.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:54 pm

We can make some new music to avoid infringement issues. No sweat man
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Junto » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:44 pm

You can also plumb the depths of http://www.freemusicarchive.com for video music. It's time-consuming, but it pays off when you find an artist with a track that sounds like what you're looking for. Usually, they've got an album's-worth of similar content to go with it. You can even use their filter to sift out tracks based on what copyrights and licensing they adhere to.

DRAT has a decent chunk of YouTube content now. We're not limited strictly to airsoft content, but we've still got a ton of it on-hand and even our unrelated content frequently features community members. I'd be more than happy to start porting it over here, provided I have a place to toss the link up. Sometimes, by the time we get an event video done, I'd be necro'ing the thread by posting the video. Speed isn't our strong suit.

And you'll have to forgive my tone in previous posts. I'm honestly kinda bitter about the decline of the site and the fracturing of the community it created. When I've complained, though, people who left the community or the hobby entirely have just dumped on the site and the hobby in general. When old leadership tells you to quit bugging them because it's all over and dead, you stop seeing the point in bothering to try. I still don't have much confidence in driving traffic back here as I really think the main issue is perceived convenience of social networking sites as opposed to forums.

Regardless, I'd be happy to add to the archives.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Agent orange. » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:09 am

If you think it will help, then yeah! Go for it. Sorry I haven't gotten the video made and posted yet, I've been busy with school and what not, that I couldn't get around to doing it.
Thanks for the help junto!

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Agent orange. » Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 am

Ok, I have a new suggestion, a new post, discussion, or something like that showing proper gun safety, and the do's and don'ts of handling even a airsoft firearm.

The reason for this, is that the airsoft game I attended yesterday at camp R&R, had a group of individuals who were young, excited, and having fun. But the problem was as follows:

One of there friends was at the range with a loaded AEG, and when he was done testing the gun, he pointed the gun (which was still a hot weapon, loaded) at the benches where me, my friend, and the group of people I'm talking about were sitting, he was just doing it as a joke mind you. I yelled at him that if he wants to point guns to mess around, take the mag out, to which he complied.

Then not even ten minutes later, the group of kids (who were around 16, 15 years old I think) loaded a cheap M14 SOCOM rifle looking thing. The one guy holding it, sat down, rested the mag which was in the gun, on the table, and began firing towards the gun range, which was very unsafe since there was about 15 meters about between the benches and the gun range. As he was firing, one of his friends, wanted a turn, and began to take it out of his hands as he was firing, to which a four second struggle broke out for the hot weapon... said weapon discharged, and hit me in the back from basically point blank. Luckily it was a cheap rifle, so no damage was done to me or anyone else.
I stood up from my seat and yelled at them from a couple feet away to knock it the shazaam off. Which they did.

I then after about eight to ten minutes after the incident, got a seasoned airsoft member (who I thought was a admin, but just really like to help out when he could) and told him about what happened, and to go over and talk to the kids, which straightened them out for the rest of the day.

Its unsafe situations like this, that make me uncomfortable going to airsoft sometimes. Now perhaps this is more of an admin thing, and event field staff problem, but either way, if that hot weapon, was one of those $200 and even more expensive M14 SOCOM rifles, someone could have been really hurt.

Thanks you shortbus for the help, it really did help.

Orlando a Battista.
Agent orange.
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Darius137 » Sun May 08, 2016 11:48 am

Agent orange. wrote:Ok, I have a new suggestion, a new post, discussion, or something like that showing proper gun safety, and the do's and don'ts of handling even a airsoft firearm.

The reason for this, is that the airsoft game I attended yesterday at camp R&R, had a group of individuals who were young, excited, and having fun. But the problem was as follows:

One of there friends was at the range with a loaded AEG, and when he was done testing the gun, he pointed the gun (which was still a hot weapon, loaded) at the benches where me, my friend, and the group of people I'm talking about were sitting, he was just doing it as a joke mind you. I yelled at him that if he wants to point guns to mess around, take the mag out, to which he complied.

Then not even ten minutes later, the group of kids (who were around 16, 15 years old I think) loaded a cheap M14 SOCOM rifle looking thing. The one guy holding it, sat down, rested the mag which was in the gun, on the table, and began firing towards the gun range, which was very unsafe since there was about 15 meters about between the benches and the gun range. As he was firing, one of his friends, wanted a turn, and began to take it out of his hands as he was firing, to which a four second struggle broke out for the hot weapon... said weapon discharged, and hit me in the back from basically point blank. Luckily it was a cheap rifle, so no damage was done to me or anyone else.
I stood up from my seat and yelled at them from a couple feet away to knock it the f**k off. Which they did.

I then after about eight to ten minutes after the incident, got a seasoned airsoft member (who I thought was a admin, but just really like to help out when he could) and told him about what happened, and to go over and talk to the kids, which straightened them out for the rest of the day.

Its unsafe situations like this, that make me uncomfortable going to airsoft sometimes. Now perhaps this is more of an admin thing, and event field staff problem, but either way, if that hot weapon, was one of those $200 and even more expensive M14 SOCOM rifles, someone could have been really hurt.

Thanks you shortbus for the help, it really did help.

Kids show up in summer months, go play, don't read anything. Putting effort into a safety briefing video is a waste of time. Your best bet to mitigate that issue is change the pre-game instructions.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Cruz FoxHound » Tue May 10, 2016 10:36 am

Junto wrote:DRAT has a decent chunk of YouTube content now. We're not limited strictly to airsoft content, but we've still got a ton of it on-hand and even our unrelated content frequently features community members. I'd be more than happy to start porting it over here, provided I have a place to toss the link up.

Junto, this is awesome & definitely part of what I'm talking about. New content would go a long way to illustrate that the community is much more active than the AP.com front page shows. Regarding your thoughts on the website, i.e.,
Junto wrote:When old leadership tells you to quit bugging them because it's all over and dead, you stop seeing the point in bothering to try.
...this probably speaks for a lot of folks on AP.

I think you should just start posting as threads to get the videos on the page, but that's my opinion.

Agent orange wrote:Ok, I have a new suggestion, a new post, discussion, or something like that showing proper gun safety, and the do's and don'ts of handling even a airsoft firearm.

Pick one achievable idea, stick to it, & make it happen. It's not helpful to invent a dozen new ideas but not make any of them real. There are folks here that will help if you want to focus on a specific idea
Cruz FoxHound
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Community General Discussion