Broken QD system

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Broken QD system

Postby Nark » Sun May 22, 2016 11:12 am

I dropped the rubber butt plate of my CA EMOD stock on the ground and the "QD" (balls, spring and button) all fell out. Is there anyway to fix it or is it totally screwed.
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Team: N/A

Re: Broken QD system

Postby Steve » Sun May 22, 2016 7:36 pm

Did it disassemble itself (are the little balls rolling around outside of the sling mount)? If so, you're probably stuck buying a new QD adapter. On the plus side, they aren't stupidly expensive.

If it still looks like the picture (it's all assembled), and the stock isn't jacked up, you should be able to shove it back into place. There may be a push-button on the top that lets the little balls relax into the QD mount so you can get it to click back in again.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby McNair » Mon May 23, 2016 1:19 am

I had this happen with one of Jon's slings. Ask him on Friday. Most likely it's toast.
I just zip tied it together for the time Iwas using it.
McNair

Postby Nark » Mon May 23, 2016 2:11 am

Steve wrote:Did it disassemble itself (are the little balls rolling around outside of the sling mount)? If so, you're probably stuck buying a new QD adapter. On the plus side, they aren't stupidly expensive.

Yeah, the stock was pretty old and the QD adapter completely busted open. I was able to fit two of the bearings back in but one fell out so it's being held by one for the time being. Do you know where I can find a QD adapter or what they're actually called? I'm coming up with so many different kinds of QD adapters on google.
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Steve » Mon May 23, 2016 2:37 am

Nark wrote:
Steve wrote:Did it disassemble itself (are the little balls rolling around outside of the sling mount)? If so, you're probably stuck buying a new QD adapter. On the plus side, they aren't stupidly expensive.

Yeah, the stock was pretty old and the QD adapter completely busted open. I was able to fit two of the bearings back in but one fell out so it's being held by one for the time being. Do you know where I can find a QD adapter or what they're actually called? I'm coming up with so many different kinds of QD adapters on google.

Yup. QD Sling Swivels.

In stock, but expensive: http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/magpul-q ... apter.html

Out of stock, but a good representation: http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/shs-qd-sling-swivel.html
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Postby Nark » Tue May 24, 2016 9:54 pm

Steve wrote:
Nark wrote:

Yup. QD Sling Swivels.

In stock, but expensive: http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/magpul-q ... apter.html

Out of stock, but a good representation: http://www.airsoftoutletnw.com/shs-qd-sling-swivel.html

except it's not for a sling, it's for the stock butt plate.
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Steve » Tue May 24, 2016 10:30 pm

My bad. Thought you were looking for the part that you hook a sling through and then click it into the stock. The parts I linked will click into the port on the side of the stock. (The grey hole thing in the picture you linked).

If it's a piece that holds the buttstock closed rather than something you can mount a sling to, I'm pretty lost. Any chance you can post a picture of the actual busted parts?

Steve

Postby McNair » Wed May 25, 2016 11:33 am

Uh, yeah, Nate.
Usually the stock is just a hole...
The part on the sling is what has the little balls and shit.
McNair

Postby Nark » Thu May 26, 2016 10:58 am

no worries, here's a better picture of what I'm working with.
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby ClownBaby » Thu May 26, 2016 2:28 pm

Question.

Why would You wanna use the last place to mount a sling?
Makes it further away, (seen some fools almost dragging their muzzle in the dirt cuz they got it so low?) and its more prone the smashing yer balls.
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Postby Steve » Thu May 26, 2016 2:49 pm

ClownBaby wrote:Question.

Why would You wanna use the last place to mount a sling?
Makes it further away, (seen some fools almost dragging their muzzle in the dirt cuz they got it so low?) and its more prone the smashing yer balls.

Two comments:
To the OP: you may be able to mod a QD sling mount piece to replace the busted it that holds your butt pad on.

To ClownBaby: check out Wolf Hook style slings. They basically mount to the shoulder of your plate carrier. The primary then hangs down your side and avoids self-inflicted running-related nut tappage. They have the side benefit of allowing you to trap the primary with your arm while also letting you secure your sidearm. And they don't end up blocking mag pouches across your chest. They work better with a slug mount as far back as you can get it.

And you can totally ghetto-rig one with 550-cord and a snaplink.

Steve

Postby ClownBaby » Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 pm

I run my pistol on the right, rifle on my left. So cross contamination isn't usually a problem. (I also use a retractable lanyard on the pistol, REALLY helps, being that it cleans up after itself, and it's line, not coiled. Simple condor cobra single point bungee for the primary.)
I run a rearplate QD under the castle nut. A strap around the buffer tube is as far back as I'll go.
* Can still buttstroke with this setup, but really it's for fast bilateral.

I don't run PC's, but more so, I've seen the system You speak of. Two things that bug Me with it. It's not a strap, if You aren't running THAT PC, then You can't use it as a strap.
K, second, if You're not bi-lateraling, get the shazaam outta fighting. (Not You Steve, We love You)

My three biggest tactics grips in real life or airsoft.
1.) Not bilateraling (and non center mounted lights, wtf)
2.) Backlighting (haha, wow! Josh, am I right? LOL)
3.) Cover and concealment is just that, use it for christ sakes.

Blah blah blah...

(am I techno babbling? :b)
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Steve » Thu May 26, 2016 6:29 pm

It's okay. I suck out loud, and I accept this.

I have a wolfhook on all of my PCs. I also butt stroked somebody once with an M-4, and would not recommend it. Muzzle checking a dude in the sternum, on the other hand, does a remarkable job of instilling compliance.

I can shoot left handed, but generally run primary and secondary on my dominant side so I can use my work hand to grab people, toss nfdds, and wipe my a$$ (basically anything other than pull triggers). In the real world it was so I could maintain positive control of both of my bullet flinders with one hand and use the other hand to grab the goddamn kids who kept trying to steal my freaking pens. In Airsoft? If my right arm is jacked up, I'll just stay home and wash a couple of oxys down with some vodka. I can always play some other day.

So, it's mostly a laziness thing.

Steve

Postby McNair » Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 pm

I don't really run slings, but when I did I preferred the setup Steve mentions(and as he said, I just ghetto rigged it with 550 cord and a carabiner0, though this really only works with PCs that fit well(ie, put something to replica plates and don't wear it like a bleeding mumu). I tended to do a lot of crawling back in the day and running a sling didn't work for that. Being able to just unclip it was much more convenient. Plus, when running too much gear, slings get hung up on shit.
Hell, even running a sling, my connection points were generally 550 cord(behind the delta ring/infront of the receiver and behind the receiver/base of the buffer tube.)with carabiner type clips. Less shit to fail.
McNair

Postby ClownBaby » Thu May 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Wow, oxys and vodduh! Call Me next time Your arm hurts. :D

And I have a hard time picturing You crawling Josh. LOL
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Next

Return to Community General Discussion