DMR Platforms in Airsoft / MilSim

Discuss anything and everything here that's Airsoft related.

Should a replica DMR be required to be based on Real DMR platforms?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 29

DMR Platforms in Airsoft / MilSim

Postby Dennis - Crossbow » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 pm

-
This topic has came up a number of times, so here is your chance to provide feedback.

Should replica DMRs be required to be based on Real DMR platforms, not just any replica that is shooting above the 400-410 FPS mark???

You can check "Yes" or "No" and give additional feedback in the forum if you want.

For info on what a DMR is visit this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_marksman_rifle
Thank you,
Dennis "Crossbow"

Remember to like us on Facebook and follow us on YouTube, Twitter and Instragram
Dennis - Crossbow
Administrator
Administrator

Team: N/A

Re: DMR Platforms in Airsoft / MilSim

Postby Norseman » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm

I chose NO.

Simply for the fact that our AK 1892 Winchester’s shoot 450 FPS. It’s a lever action, so no way to shoot full auto.....but it’s not a modern DMR platform by any means. And we have no way of dialing back the FPS. No gear box and no threaded barrel for a FPS reducer.

I have no plans of crashing some ones milsim event....but if it’s a open skirmish I should be able to use it.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby Solid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:42 pm

I'm gonna go with yes with stipulations. Use the same loose moral rules that LMG's get: every asshole that shows up with a 10-inch M4 with a box mag calling themselves a support gunner knows exactly how much shit he's full of. I don't want strict restrictions on JUST "DMR IRL" platforms, but keep em in the spirit of it; smaller magazines, medium ranged optic, longer barrels, usually a full stock, that kind of stuff.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby Darius137 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:38 pm

A designated Marksman is just a guy with maybe better ammo, some more training in shooting, and a magnified optic.

A sniper or someone looking to shoot out past 600 IRL may need more restrictions and a higher FPS.

I chose yes but maybe don't care. It's really up to whoever is hosting to decide.
Member of Rushing Russians KBДB (Cascadian VDV/Airborne) chapter.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KEBAB.PARTY/
Darius137

Team: RR KBAB

Postby Solid » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Darius137 wrote:A designated Marksman is just a guy with maybe better ammo, some more training in shooting, and a magnified optic.

A sniper or someone looking to shoot out past 600 IRL may need more restrictions and a higher FPS.

I chose yes but maybe don't care. It's really up to whoever is hosting to decide.

Well right now DMR's get a little more FPS compared to AEG's, which I'm totally down for since it gives them a more defined spot.
Solid

Team: DRAT

Postby drpepper475 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:16 pm

In milsim yes, otherwise I don't think it matters.
"you guys might be winning ,but I'm having more fun"
drpepper475

Postby Rentax » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:18 pm

So Specdet rotated away from the platform based on weapon system for our summer slaughter event (non-milsim event) and moved to a rules based solely on FPS of the weapon system. Which means if you are running a stock UTG bolt rifle shooting around 400 fps, you follow standard 400 FPS rules for that weapon. If you are shooting between 421 and 475 you must be incapable of firing full auto, and as per community rule sets we called that range DMR. But in truth that is a poor description of that range of weapons. Because just because you are shooting within a certain FPS range that does not make you a DMR. Any Designated Marksman could use any weapon system. But that doesn't make that a Designated Marksman Rifle. We need to shift the idea that any weapon used by a sniper is a sniper rifle. That's just not true. A sniper can use an M4 to take down a target, but that does not make that M4 a sniper rifle, it's still an assault rifle. Same goes for a DMR.
For Milsim I think that DMRs should be a military used DMR platform (or a very close representation of it). It's Milsim AKA simulating military. We don't allow box mags on M4s to be SAWs so in the same vein why should we allow standard M4s to shoot above 420 FPS being a DMR platform.
We do what we want
Rentax

Team: SpecDet1

Postby Tankwitch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:02 pm

DMR's are tricky when it comes to airsoft. If I ran a game I wouldn't give them a higher FPS limit. The same limit for all AEG's would be allowed for assault rifles and DMR's. A DMR is defined more in a style of game play than in limits of FPS. Giving DMR's a higher FPS gives an unnecessary "bonus" to players. A bonus that usually amounts to very little when it comes to the actual performance of an AEG.

A good DMR will have crazy air seal and hop-up upgrades. Semi auto is preferred but not truly necessary. Look at JG's OTS or LCT's VAL. Both are marksman rifles and have full auto capability. Both would be good starter guns for someone who was looking into more fully merging there style into that direction. It would give someone a chance to try out the DMR role without a potential dangerous role advantage of higher FPS.

I'm not a fan of people who may not be able to handle the dangers of there replica and engage at distances to close for the FPS they have. The wrong person gets hurt and all of a sudden we have lots of regulation.
I'm a major chairsofter, sorry about that.
Tankwitch
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Seagreen » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:17 pm

My vote: yes.

Milsim/Tacsim by definition is an attempt at a faithful recreation of military/tactical maneuvers/training lanes/or historical events.

The equipment specifically in this case is precisely that. The question that really needs to be posed is whether or not a velocity increase is warranted. The advent of semi-auto games, rather than full auto hosefests reduce the advantage of the standard rifleman and puts him at the same disadvantage as the DMR (without the added fps).

Just a thought...but to play the part...one should attempt to look and perform the role within the spirit of the event and rule.
"5 color Woodland....it's the new thing."
Seagreen

Team: AIRSOC

Postby Grounded » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:19 pm

bring it! I say yes. It just makes sense.
Grounded
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Community General Discussion