What is holding you back from doing the Nam?

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

What is holding you back from doing the Nam?

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 9:01 am

Is it lack of interest? Cost of the gear? Both?

For me personally?

After playing and hosting modern airsoft for forever, I got tired of the same ole US vs. Haji/insurgent template. I also got tired of the general mil/sim attitude in which teams are just broken up by camo pattern because that is who is going to show up. Historical airsoft incorporates a lot more dress up giving a greater level of immersion for me, than a normal airsoft operation.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby KA-BAR » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 am

i have never tried it. contemplating getting a bolt action that has a wood stock or imatation, just so i can come out and live out my Hathcock dreams and aspirations.
I am not half as good as I want to be, but I am twice as good as you think I am.
KA-BAR

Team: N/A

Postby Patrick750 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:06 am

modern soldiers look cooler. although some more nam based tactics would be fun.
A dirty Pantac is a happy Pantac
Patrick750
Specops
Specops

Postby X » Mon May 17, 2010 9:59 am

I'm in . I been trying to set up a nam base like for ever . 8)
When you feel the hairs on the back of your neck move, It's too late!! That's me pulling my knife out!!!
X
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:00 am

airsoft750 wrote:modern soldiers look cooler. although some more nam based tactics would be fun.

I don't know why, but I think a early Nam era Marine is the coolest looking impression on the planet.........it must be the real battle rifle and USMC flak jacket (the eight point works as well).

Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:02 am

X wrote:I'm in . I been trying to set up a nam base like for ever . 8)

Ohhhhh! Tell me more!

I'm working on one too...

http://www.mycorps.us/forum/viewtopic.p ... 4&start=10
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby DJ » Mon May 17, 2010 10:03 am

Mostly the insanely legalistic gear requirements that I have encountered in the games I checked into
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby VogonFord » Mon May 17, 2010 10:10 am

Same with DJ. There's no substitutions there, so if I want something that looks almost identical but costs half the price I can't use it. I've always wanted to do it, though, I just need a bunch of money set aside. Who knows, maybe when I finish my Belgian 1970's loadout I'll get an XM16E1 and get together a 1st Cavalry Division loadout.
VogonFord
Specops
Specops

Team: {FAG}

Postby X » Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 am

Make it a 3 or 4 day opp. With nite opps . Camp in the field . Search and destroy . Taking a hill or town and then give it up just to have to go and take it again . Limited radios , Cong with tunnels or similar . I found a web site that has old time radio shorts . Like Bob Moray and Random radio broad casts from AFVN . thats Armed Forces Viet Nam . We would need to have 100 acres or more . 8)
When you feel the hairs on the back of your neck move, It's too late!! That's me pulling my knife out!!!
X
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:27 am

DJ wrote:Mostly the insanely legalistic gear requirements that I have encountered in the games I checked into

Like what? I've seen Y harness's at Battlesim events. I'm using a medium alice ruck because I cannot find a tropical Nam ruck to use at MCHA events.

But Nam soft events are generally way more lax than a Reenactment.

So I'm not sure if your encountering real stitch nazi's or your just wanting to do Nam soft with your molle gear and RIS....

:D

What's really sad, is that I often times see people buying incorrect gear for the same price they could buy correct gear. It's just a matter of research or asking someone in the know.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:31 am

X wrote:Make it a 3 or 4 day opp. With nite opps . Camp in the field . Search and destroy . Taking a hill or town and then give it up just to have to go and take it again . Limited radios , Cong with tunnels or similar . I found a web site that has old time radio shorts . Like Bob Moray and Random radio broad casts from AFVN . thats Armed Forces Viet Nam . We would need to have 100 acres or more . 8)

Ummm....

Have you checked out BRS and CIS yet?

NVA bunkers and hootch area....check
A complete Fire Support Base....check
350 acres of highland like terrain....check
Four day event....check
Night operations....check
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby DJ » Mon May 17, 2010 10:46 am

Quote:Like what? I've seen Y harness's at Battlesim events. I'm using a medium alice ruck because I cannot find a tropical Nam ruck to use at MCHA events.

Specifically had to be a M-16 A1 , an A2 or later was not OK, had to be a wood stock M14....stuff like that. Too much $$$$ to go there. I would like to do VN as we have an area on our Farm that is very jungle like , and the fact that I grew up during VN and had alot of friends and coworkers who were rice paddy pounders over there.
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Matt » Mon May 17, 2010 10:55 am

I like the idea of Vietnam era Airsoft because we can actually effectively simulate it much more effectively than we can simulate a modern war. We can't get ahold of the most advanced vehicles to use in Airsoft scenarios, but people do own Vietnam era vehicles. The modern war removed a lot of the battle from the ground. But the majority of Airsoft is played on foot in the role of the infantry. A bunch of people are buying DMRs because they are in demand in the desert where you can see for miles and engage your enemy at extreme distances. They want to look like modern soldiers but in Airsoft we have an effective range of 100-150 feet. And in the Pacific Northwest's dense terrain we do engage our targets at much closer distances.

The modern war is fought against a chicken shit enemy who hides behind remotely triggered roadside bombs or retreats into caves. In Vietnam we had an enemy who fought us with infantry of their own, and lots of them. It was a true ground war between 2 forces - just like Airsoft usually is.

The idea of brutal jungle warfare sounds 100 times more appealing than standing around on a road fiddling with some prop somebody made in a garage and wondering when the admin is going to tell us we're all dead.
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 17, 2010 11:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Matt

Team: APST

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:58 am

DJ wrote:Specifically had to be a M-16 A1 , an A2 or later was not OK, had to be a wood stock M14....stuff like that. Too much $$$$ to go there. I would like to do VN as we have an area on our Farm that is very jungle like , and the fact that I grew up during VN and had alot of friends and coworkers who were rice paddy pounders over there.

A M16a1 is just as cheap as a a2. I think what your saying here is that you don't have the money to have multiple impressions. Which is understandable.

What's cool about building a Nam impression though is that you can still use it for most mil/sim airsoft events. So it's easier to go forward in time than to go backwards in time in most cases.

If anyone wants to try it, but hasn't been able to do so in the past. The MCHA is willing to outfit you for free and let you try it at BRS & CIS.

http://www.airsoftpacific.com/viewtopic.php?t=29355
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Norseman » Mon May 17, 2010 11:09 am

Matt wrote:I like the idea of Vietnam era Airsoft because we can actually effectively simulate it much more effectively than we can simulate a modern war. We can't get ahold of the most advanced vehicles to use in Airsoft scenarios, but people do own Vietnam era vehicles. The modern war removed a lot of the battle from the ground. But the majority of Airsoft is played on foot in the role of the infantry. A bunch of people are buying DMRs because they are in demand in the desert where you can see for miles and engage your enemy at extreme distances. They want to look like modern soldiers but in Airsoft we have an effective range of 100-150 feet. And in Oregon's dense terrain we do engage our targets at much closer distances.

Matt,
That's very true. Engagement distances in Nam were not much farther than your average airsoft skirmish. And Charlie learned to hold tight to US units because it would negate our superior combined arms (arty, naval gunfire & air assets).

The modern war is fought against a chick shit enemy who hides behind remotely triggered roadside bombs or retreats into caves. In Vietnam we had an enemy who fought us with infantry of their own, and lots of them. It was a true ground war between 2 forces - just like Airsoft usually is.

Well, the VC certainly used IED's and hid in caves and tunnel complexes. But they certainly conducted ambushes and patrols against us as well. And up in I corps, it was much more common to run into main NVA units (and their supporting arms) as well.

The idea of brutal jungle warfare sounds 100 times more appealing than standing around on a road fiddling with some prop somebody made in a garage and wondering when the admin is going to "tell us" we're all dead.

I think the MCHA would love to team up with AP and make something happen for you guys down there or come up to the ranch? Let me know Matt.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft