What is holding you back from doing the Nam?

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Postby Dukky » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:05 am

I had my nam phase a while ago, it was good while it lasted. Now I'm favoring more modern loadouts. Plus I get RIS on my M16 now lol
Dukky
Soldier
Soldier

Team: N/A

Postby Hallowground » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:41 am

KA-BAR wrote:i have never tried it. contemplating getting a bolt action that has a wood stock or imatation, just so i can come out and live out my Hathcock dreams and aspirations.

I just found out (by just found out I mean i walked away from the computer while reading this subject, changed to the history channel, and heard the rifles that the marine scout snipers used during the war) marine scout snipers used the remington model 700 in vietnam. you could go with the TSD M700 with the imitation stock. $70 on airsoft gi. although I don't believe picatinny/weaver rails were standard then, so you'd have to unscrew the top rail and either mount or carve out dove-tail rails.

Carlos Hathcock. counter-snipers. awesome.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Juicemachine » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:58 am

Patrick750 wrote:some more nam based tactics would be fun.

This.

Here in the NW, and with airsoft, especially, a lot of Vietnam war-based tactics are extremely relevant.

I'd love to Vietnam, but even if I had the cash, I wouldn't. I look too young, and I don't want to ruin everyone else's immersion by being there, even if I do have all the right kit.
2009's Most Improved Player
Author of the best post of 2010
Juicemachine

Team: {FAG}

Postby congofal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:11 am

Doesn't matter if you look to young , if you look at photos from the War you'll see a lot of troopers that look like they are 12 years old.
Si vis pacem, para bellum .
Le diable marche avec nous
congofal
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Tin Man » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:16 am

And when I first saw ya, Juice, I had a hard time believing you were only 15.
A friend of death, a brother of luck and a son of a phony pony!
Tin Man
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Cap n pickles » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Tin Man wrote:And when I first saw ya, Juice, I had a hard time believing you were only 15.

HAHA, Yeah, that because he looks like he is 12. LMAO
"All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land."
William Kingdon Clifford
Cap n pickles

Postby sovereignmule » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:19 pm

hallowground wrote:
KA-BAR wrote:i have never tried it. contemplating getting a bolt action that has a wood stock or imatation, just so i can come out and live out my Hathcock dreams and aspirations.

I just found out (by just found out I mean i walked away from the computer while reading this subject, changed to the history channel, and heard the rifles that the marine scout snipers used during the war) marine scout snipers used the remington model 700 in vietnam. you could go with the TSD M700 with the imitation stock. $70 on airsoft gi. although I don't believe picatinny/weaver rails were standard then, so you'd have to unscrew the top rail and either mount or carve out dove-tail rails.

whatever you do dont mod the weaver rails or carve into the body just for authenticity. if you must go into that much detail i would put money on your local "real steel" (i hate that phrase) gunsmith having some bolt on dovetails for the top rail mount on your m700. if you look around and cant find any i will look in my stash (i am a "real steel" gunsmith) and see if i can find some in stock or to order. you might also find (with some research) that the weavers that we use today are the same weavers that they used 50 years ago. yes they have been around for that long, and yes they were pretty standard stuff! i personally have seen weavers on guns that were mounted in the late 50s and early 60s, so dont be surprised if thats what they were using back then.
sovereignmule
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Hallowground » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:48 pm

I didn't do any research, I was simply pointing out that the rifle was used, I didn't mean to recomend anything. That was informative. Thank you. Hmmm, I may look into vietnam airsofting if I decide to go with an m14 later on. I'll look into some ALICE tomorrow when i head out to my local surplus store.
forgive my ignorance, it happens to everyone.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby congofal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:59 pm

If you want to just do one game Alice gear is fine , but if you want to get deeper into the Vietnam War stuff , you'll want to invest on M56 webgear , that was the standard issue gear up until the M67 gear came out later on in the war.
congofal
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Hallowground » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 pm

mostly just curious about alice realy.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby congofal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 pm

Curious about how it works or how it looks?
congofal
Ranger
Ranger

Postby Hallowground » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:43 pm

Can't it be both?
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Norseman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:01 am

Recondo school pics are up:

http://www.gwagdesigns.com/Military-Sim ... 0246_LWP5p

You guys missed out!
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby DJ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 am

hallowground wrote:

Carlos used a Win model 70, and if my memory serves me a Redfield scope in Nam. The Rem's came later, he helped the Corps develop the Rem / Marine prototype. Not much official sniper gear in Nam, a lot was "field expedient" ( personally obtained).
Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent,
and discerning if he holds his tongue.
DJ
Specops
Specops

Postby Hallowground » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 am

DJ wrote:
hallowground wrote:

Carlos used a Win model 70, and if my memory serves me a Redfield scope in Nam. The Rem's came later, he helped the Corps develop the Rem / Marine prototype. Not much official sniper gear in Nam, a lot was "field expedient" ( personally obtained).

yes, before they built the M40A1 at quantico they used hunting rifles most of the time, one of which was the rem model 700. the rem 700 was modified slightly and designated M40. after the m40s began to wear out, the marines at quantico built the M40a1, just an M40 with a different stock and scope. mid 1980s is when the army had the m24 built on the remington model 700 action.

i didn't mean to insinuate carlos used the m700, just saying he was awesome.
Hallowground
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft