Waffen SS gear?

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Waffen SS gear?

Postby Philip J. Fry » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:45 pm

So I am trying to make a WWII Waffen SS impression but am confused about gear.I have a M40 tunic and pants,jack boots,y straps,canteen,mess kit,stahlhelm,and StG44 pouches.I am in planning on purchasing a bread bag.Is there anything else I need?
"your bullets, with your bayonets, with your bare hands" - Some Russian with a loud speaker
Philip J. Fry
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Postby ogrejager » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:47 pm

A better idea.

Seriously, I can understand a good Wehrmacht uniform. But SS? Are you going to bring a big oven, too?

My dog may not be "cute" or "cool"...but he HUNTS!
ogrejager

Team: SpecDet1

Postby k3gn3123512 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:48 pm

You do know that not all of the Waffen-SS was in the concentration camps.
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Postby danneskjold » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:59 pm

In fact, the VAST majority of the Waffen SS had nothing to do with the concentration camps.
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby ogrejager » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:59 pm

KingNikan wrote:You do know that not all of the Waffen-SS was in the concentration camps.

:roll: Yes, I do.

They also served, for example, as executioners in random Polish towns, too.
ogrejager

Postby k3gn3123512 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:04 pm

ogrejager wrote:
KingNikan wrote:You do know that not all of the Waffen-SS was in the concentration camps.

:roll: Yes, I do.

They also served, for example, as executioners in random Polish towns, too.

I felt that oven comment was needed to be addressed.
k3gn3123512
Ranger
Ranger

Postby LettuceHead » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Nasty wrote:Anyhow, I'm with Ogre. Ok, maybe a large majority of the SS had nothing to do with the concentration/death camps, but 'SS' still conjures images of some of the worst atrocities in human history.

Yes, there were SS infantry and armored divisions, but when someone says "SS", most people think of death camps, death squads, the Holocaust, as well as sometimes modern Neo-nazi/white supremacist groups in the US.

Funny, because when I hear 'SS' the first thing I ask is "Do you mean Waffen SS, Allgemeine SS, Wiking or SD?". The vast majority of the Waffen SS were straight up elite soldiers who fielded modern equipment (one of the first military units to issue camouflage) and aggressive tactics based on shock and initiative.

I know a lot of Waffen SS re-enactors. Many are ex US servicemen and all have other Allied WW2 and other historical impressions as well, including US VN-era Marine, Blackfoot Indian and American Civil War. Waffen SS re-enacting requires a lot of maturity and responsibility so I 'd recommend the original poster to contact an established re-enacting unit for guidance.

Anyhow, as far as your impression I'm far from an expert on SS gear but it sounds like a good start. Remember that many new items were issued without old being withdrawn so there is liable to be some overlap. Much of the Waffen SS gear was also made for them specifically since each branch of the German armed forces had their own production facilities and schedules (one of the things that luckily hindered their war effort!). Go ask around on the forums at www.thewardept.org. There are many Waffen SS re-enactors there that can offer some guidance.
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby m3chanized » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:05 pm

pick up a camo smock and helmet cover!
m3chanized
Soldier
Soldier

Postby congofal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:35 pm

Another thing you guys need to remember is that Waffen SS troopers fought different types of war depending on which front they fought in .
Waffen SS units that fought in the East fought an all out no mercy war against Soviet Forces , no quarter was given by either side , all out brutal war.
In the West it was different Waffen SS units that fought the Western Allies respected cease fires and even would call a halt to the fighting so both sides could retrieve dead and wounded of the field.
Si vis pacem, para bellum .
Le diable marche avec nous
congofal
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Waffen SS gear?

Postby congofal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:39 pm

PaNZeR-GReNaDieR wrote:So I am trying to make a WWII Waffen SS impression but am confused about gear.I have a M40 tunic and pants,jack boots,y straps,canteen,mess kit,stahlhelm,and StG44 pouches.I am in planning on purchasing a bread bag.Is there anything else I need?

Belt , don't forget the belt or you woun't have anything to attach your breadbag and ammo pouches onto.
Gas Mask and Can
Zeltbahn
A frame and bag
Bayonet
You'll also need an undershirt , also you will need an Overseas cap to wear when your helmet is off.
Si vis pacem, para bellum .
Le diable marche avec nous
congofal
Ranger
Ranger

Postby danneskjold » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:09 am

congofal wrote:In the West it was different Waffen SS units that fought the Western Allies respected cease fires and even would call a halt to the fighting so both sides could retrieve dead and wounded of the field.

With some notable exceptions...
danneskjold
Specops
Specops

Postby Norseman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:25 am

I think people must remember that reenacting doesn't require one to adopt the beliefs of the impression.

When I don PAVN Khaki and pack a AK, I do not immediately become a Communist, nor do I torture and kill anyone, I feel is loyal to Saigon.

I'm sure rebel Civil war reenactors, do not believe in slavery either.

There are SS reenactors out there, because the SS is a part of WW2 history. Not because they respect atrocities committed.

And if the US had lost WW2, you can be damn sure, our service men would have been brought up on war crimes as well. (LeMay and the fire bombing of Tokyo comes to mind)

[panzer mod edit]-added a space to 'apart' to appease the Grammer SS.
Norseman
Sponsor
Sponsor

Team: SDD

Postby DMitri » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Are we going to have this conversation every week?
DMitri
Banned
Banned

Postby Catch22 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't see a problem with someone wearing Waffen SS uniforms for reenacting/airsoft. They had the coolest uniforms and weapons.
Catch22

Postby Philip J. Fry » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:43 pm

Ok guys thx for the help,even though most of the posts were arguments of Waffen SS war crimes,concentration camps,etc.Ill be doing Wehrmacht for now and SS in the future when I get a smock and helmet cover.I am 15 so I cant be carrying a knife or bayonet around.
"your bullets, with your bayonets, with your bare hands" - Some Russian with a loud speaker
Philip J. Fry
Grunt
Grunt

Next

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft