Does anyone actively play ww2 airsoft

Discussion of Airsoft use for re-enactment, WWII/WWI airsoft, Vietnam and more.

Does anyone actively play ww2 airsoft

Postby wikingwarrior » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:42 pm

Like the topic says, is there an active community? Particularly for Eastern Front Impersonations?

Also, does anyone know where to get PPSHs, Mosins DP-28s, or Tokarev's for not ridiculous prices?
wikingwarrior
Grunt
Grunt

Team: N/A

Re: Does anyone actively play ww2 airsoft

Postby Variable » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:01 pm

In the northwest most of the WW2 impressions I've seen are more towards US/Germany, but I'm not entirely tapped into the WW2 community, so I can't say.
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/ares-ppsh-el ... stock.html
Just held that, and its pretty nice.
Variable

Team: APST

Postby Switchback » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Variable wrote:PPSh

I've fondled these before at OAA, and aside from a nice AK-style rifle these are one of the coolest weaps out there. Super solid, and EBB, IIRC.
"I have the cutest dog."
Switchback

Postby wikingwarrior » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Stumbled across this one, how does it stack up?

http://www.evike.com/product_info.php?products_id=32333
wikingwarrior
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Junto » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

I've got scattered pieces of German kit. I've got the uniform, the helmet, and some MP-40 mag pouches. I lack period appropriate footwear, two or four more mag pouches, my bread bag, my mess kit, the belt, and the y-straps for it. It's hard to build a kit for and the events are expensive, but well worth it.
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby Nark » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:30 am

I might start now.....
Nark wrote:This is gonna sound dickish but whatever I'll be that guy...
Nark
Ranger
Ranger

Postby pulsipher » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 am

with the launch of the garand by ICS and G&G Manicotti Events will have some ww2 style games coming up

45 Foes and counting 07/23/2012
pulsipher
Ranger
Ranger

Team: SOTA

Postby wikingwarrior » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:14 pm

pulsipher wrote:with the launch of the garand by ICS and G&G Manicotti Events will have some ww2 style games coming up

Yeah but that'd be western front, part of why I want to do an eastern front loadout is Russians are less expensive and I prefer the history of the Eastern Front, I'd do a German but that's price-prohibitive for me.

I guess I can look into US and English loadouts and weapons, if events turn up in my area I'd be damn disappointed to miss them due to lack of kit.
wikingwarrior
Grunt
Grunt

Postby LettuceHead » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:52 am

Long story short, there was interest and some stellar events but then interest waned due to various factors.

As a blankfire reenactor now, I can tell you that the reenactment world for both blank and airsoft is mostly (like, 75%) Normandy, followed by Itay/ Sicily. Eastern Front depends on the region. Red Army is the cheapest WW2 impression to put together, followed by British infantry. If you're willing to accept some farbiness, German kit has become much more affordable.

Read the threads and the oft-told story will unfold... WW2 airsoft in the PNW is effectively dead over a chicken/ egg syndrome. No one wants to invest in kit because there's no events, but there's no events because no one will invest in basic kit. There's some hesitation over authenticity standards, with some people turned off because of not enough correct equipment and others because of too much anal-retentiveness to details. In the end, though, there is not a large enough core group of hard-cores to attract and sustain the genre here.

The thing is, its not that much money to put together a basic WW2 impression. The "stitch Nazis" can suck it... this is airsoft. Most impressions can be put together for a few hundred bucks minus replica AEG. Its no museum-quality uniform and field gear but it looks good enough for running around in the woods with foggy safety glasses on. But, at the same time you do need to put some effort into it. An M14 is not an M1 Garand, nor is an AK a Stg44. Get a good replica weapon, an appropriate tunic, helmet and basic field gear to start. The rest will eventually fall into place. Get the very basic for infantry so everyone is relatively close, unit-wise.

Myself, I can portray British Para, infantry or Commando for both NW Europe or N. Africa/ Meditteranean. I am almost done with my German Fallschirmjager impression, too. I do 6-8 blank reenactment/ living history display events a year; its my passion in life. I would love to do WW2 airsoft again... but I'm not holding my breath. People need to just bite the bullet, spend some money and just freakin' do it.
LettuceHead
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Deathlycobra » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:06 am

Even though it might not be terribly accurate, I'm sure some event will let you slide if you had a Russian WW2 kit and was another themed event.

Honestly, with the G&G/ICS M1 coming out PLUS G&G releasing a Springfield 1903 I'm pretty excited. I definitely want to pick up the Springfield for sure.
Deathlycobra
Specops
Specops

Postby McNair » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm

McNair

Return to Re-enactment/Historic Airsoft