Airsoft Mortor

Discuss airsoft shotguns, launchers, and other related equipment.

Re: Airsoft Mortor

Postby Ghostairsofter » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:02 pm

[quote="when it rains mortar shells it pours mortar shells", Ghostairsofter]Looks pretty sweet from what ive seen my only concern is that if a round lands on someones head they might get a concusion or get a huge bruise or something i know that wearing helmets might help but it dosent seem worth buying them. cool though![/quote]
Ghostairsofter
Recruit
Recruit

Team: redneck stelth airsofting and very awesome

Postby Steve » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, shit. Guess I missed this the first go-'round.

So, I have one of these. And, someday, when I get around to rebuilding it or when somebody else builds one right, I'll use it again.

Pros: It's a freaking MORTAR.

Cons:
So, the way it works is you fill the thing up partway with water, squookum a rubber seal over the end of it, and pressurize it with CO2. The rubber seal puffs out the back sort of like when a cheerleader blows a bubble with black bubblegum. You drop the now-live round down the mortar tube. Three #13 x-acto-knife blades (or replicas so good that they copied "X-ACTO #13") in a triangle are facing pointy-end skyward in the tube. The blades punch into the seal, and the jet of pressurized water shoves the mortar a hundred or so feet.

The X-ACTO blades were held in with hot glue, and fell the hell out on first launch, requiring recovery and replacement between launches. Which is how I know they are #13 blades, incidentally. Eventually when I get around to it, I'll drill out part of the base plate and mount a hunting arrowhead in the base in place of the bullshit X-ACTO blades.

The fins on two of the rockets snapped off, one on the first launch and the other on launch #5.

One of the rockets burst a seam the first time I pressurized it. That was fairly, um, moist.

Out of the two mortars that came with the mortar unit, and the two spares I bought, I have 1 working mortar, and can cobble together a second out of two of the other failed ones. Accuracy is crap. I got a 25 degree variance from center and 45 feet range variance. I set the mortar up, filled the rounds with 500mL water bottles (Each mortar got a full 500mL bottle of water), used known-good identical CO2 cartridges, and still got amazingly crappy variance.

All in all, probably not a wise investment. Still, cool as shit. The water vapor coming out the back looks really freaking cool.
This Week In Airsoft wrote:This Week in Airsoft stands behind its statement... The internet and YouTube can be your teacher.

Steve

Team: N/A

Postby Junto » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 am

Wh-What are you?
Junto

Team: DRAT

Postby ClownBaby » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:30 am

He's your Happy, Russian sounding Robot Overlord, Obey Him! You puny mortal!!!!
"Will you walk with me out on the wire, cuz baby I'm just a scared and lonely rider" - The Boss
ClownBaby
Ranger
Ranger

Team: O.C.D.O.S.

Previous

Return to Shotguns & Launchers